Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Driving to Sierra Nevada

Driving to Sierra Nevada

Old Feb 11th 2013, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

A & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving to Sierra Nevada

Can anyone tell us what the roads from Granada up to the Sierra Nevada ski resort (Pradollano) are like in early March? Do the highway authorities grit them / clear them of snow or do they not really get that snowy? Do you need snow tyres? etc. We are debating at the moment whether to drive, or get a bus (or even taxi) from Granada. Any advice welcome.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving to Sierra Nevada

If there is sufficient snow then you have to have snow chains fitted to your car.
I was up there a couple of years ago and the Guardia were stopping what looked to be any non-4x4 vehicle and checking that they had snow chains on board.
Further up towards the ski village there was a long line of cars stopped at the side of the road with the drivers fitting their snow chains to the wheels.

You can buy them at most petrol stations on the way up there, they are sized for your specific tires. Cost about 40€ if I recall correctly.

Even if you don't use them it's always handy to have them in the boot just in case you go up there again.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

It has been a few years since I was up in Sierra Nevada, at that time there were signs on some parts of the road telling you must have snow chains. Like Bill we saw the Guardia checking the cars and turning folk back if they did not have them or making them put them on. From the route we took it seemed well policed and cleared fairly well. Being from Scotland and not having seen snow for years it was a real fun outing with my late husband fond memories.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 10:35 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

the only time I have been up there to Pradollano village was I think in November about 2 years ago, stupendous view and you start to understand the meaning of "clean air" when you breathe at 2,400m asl.

as to the state of the road don't know what it is like at the moment, although I see it from afar every day.
the local webpage is showing events for mid-march so there will still be plenty of people going up there. the webcam pictures show plenty of snow on the rooves of the village as of yesterday. I should imagine the road situation is fluid dependent on the conditions at the time.

You mentioned using the bus - well there are 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon each way, cost €5 single €9 return, further details with times at
http://www.alsa.es/portal/site/Alsa/...tte.cachetoken

that is alsa.es, searching in their regional database from Granada to Sierra Nevada if the link doesnt work.

hth

`
Old Feb 12th 2013, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Patrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the rough

I have been caught in several blizzards one way or another. Usually my own fault for staying too long on the mountain when the weather closes in. Because there is only one road in and out it can get treacherous during or just after heavy snow. The Guardia have roadblocks in place quickly and won't let you up without chains (or 4X4). Having said that the road is usually cleared very quickly after snow falls and then passable on normal tyres (although always advisable to keep chains in the car - available at some petrol stations in and around Granada). The conditions are particularly good at the moment (although very cold). Here is the official website which has some good webcams and also shows their twitter account which has updates throughout the day. When all looks good still keep an eye out for high wind speeds as this alone sometimes closes the slopes.

http://sierranevada.es/estacion/en-pista/webcams.aspx
Old Feb 14th 2013, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

A & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond reputeA & M has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for all the advice, very helpful. I think we'll take the bus!
Old Feb 14th 2013, 5:01 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

When I last went up and there was no snow on the road and no Guardia either.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
When I last went up and there was no snow on the road and no Guardia either.
That figures, if there was snow, there'd be Guardia.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 12:38 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A & M
Can anyone tell us what the roads from Granada up to the Sierra Nevada ski resort (Pradollano) are like in early March? Do the highway authorities grit them / clear them of snow or do they not really get that snowy? Do you need snow tyres? etc. We are debating at the moment whether to drive, or get a bus (or even taxi) from Granada. Any advice welcome.
how long are you staying in Granada ??

even if only for a week it can be financially advantageous to get a bus pass to use when going round the city, the prices are reduced and it saves fumbling for change. Most buses around the city are on a 10 or 15min cycle, and quite punctual
Red buses are internal whilst Green buses are external out to the villages etc and have different tarjeta's.

hth