Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Driving in Portugal

Driving in Portugal

Old Jan 2nd 2014, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving in Portugal

I hope you are keeping an eye on what is happening across the river.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=819807
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 4:58 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in Portugal

Is that not in complete contrast to Spanish recommendations to stay in the outside lane until the correct exit is reached, which I would have thought was safer and better for someone using a particular rbt. for the first time ???

Come to think of it the closest shave I've had in recent years was on a Portuguese rbt. in Porto when a van coming from the inside lane steamed across the front of my bonnet whilst I was moving around the outside lane.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Lloyd2012 is a jewel in the roughLloyd2012 is a jewel in the roughLloyd2012 is a jewel in the roughLloyd2012 is a jewel in the rough

I think there is now a conserted effort to give inform the public on how to correctly us the roundabout. In Ireland it's now since 2013 written in legislation under the road traffic act an undate on roundabout use the same as Portugal. This may help.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundabout
Old Jan 9th 2014, 1:57 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lloyd2012
I think there is now a conserted effort to give inform the public on how to correctly us the roundabout. In Ireland it's now since 2013 written in legislation under the road traffic act an undate on roundabout use the same as Portugal. This may help.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundabout

Here is what I got from the thread.

Its so long since I took my driving test, but I think this is what we were taught to do (in reverse for RHD)

http://algarve.angloinfo.com/forum/v...m-jan-1st-2014

Roundabouts

Drivers must:

Give way to traffic already on the roundabout, whichever lane they are in.

Occupy the right-hand (outside) lane if you are taking the first exit.

If taking any other exit you should only occupy the outside lane after passing the exit immediately prior to the one you wish to take.

Move progressive towards the outside lane, taking the appropriate precautions when changing lanes

Horse and cart, bicycles and Heavy Goods Vehicles may use only the right hand lane but are required to facilitate the exit of drivers on the roundabout.

If you use the right-hand lane, with no intention of taking the first exit, you risk a fine of between 60 and 300 euros.

If they implement this in Spain, there will be a lot of fines / angry drivers!!!
Jon
Old Jan 9th 2014, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Is it not time that Europe had a standardised system ?
Old Jan 9th 2014, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

Woodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Here is what I got from the thread.

Its so long since I took my driving test, but I think this is what we were taught to do (in reverse for RHD)

http://algarve.angloinfo.com/forum/v...m-jan-1st-2014

Roundabouts

Drivers must:

Give way to traffic already on the roundabout, whichever lane they are in.

Occupy the right-hand (outside) lane if you are taking the first exit.

If taking any other exit you should only occupy the outside lane after passing the exit immediately prior to the one you wish to take.

Move progressive towards the outside lane, taking the appropriate precautions when changing lanes

Horse and cart, bicycles and Heavy Goods Vehicles may use only the right hand lane but are required to facilitate the exit of drivers on the roundabout.

If you use the right-hand lane, with no intention of taking the first exit, you risk a fine of between 60 and 300 euros.

If they implement this in Spain, there will be a lot of fines / angry drivers!!!
Jon
This is exactly how I was taught to use a roundabout and have proceeded to do so in both Spain & Portugal. Are you saying that in Spain we should just all travel around the outside?
Kim
Old Jan 10th 2014, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I was taught to use the left lane when turning left or going straight on.
Use the right lane when turning right or straight on in heavier trraffic.
50 years ago

That is what the Highway Code still says

When taking the first exit to the left, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

signal left and approach in the left-hand lane
keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave.

When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

select the appropriate lane on approach to and on the roundabout

you should not normally need to signal on approach
stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Picture for previous post
Attached Thumbnails Driving in Portugal-roundabout003.jpg  
Old Jan 10th 2014, 9:03 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodzie
This is exactly how I was taught to use a roundabout and have proceeded to do so in both Spain & Portugal. Are you saying that in Spain we should just all travel around the outside?
Kim
Hi Kim

Its my understanding/guess that the P'guese are simply enforcing what we all should really do in practice. In all countries. So I use the roundabout just like you. So we should continue wherever we are. In Belgium its also really bad.

However roundabout usage in Spain is very haphazard and I don't think many people follow this in practice its worth driving 'defensively' re roundabouts.

And they have priority on the right,in Belgium i.e on many roads the guy on the side road has the right of way to come straight onto the main road. Unless there are certain markings on the side road.

Note in Spain they have that, as in most EU countries http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priority_to_the_right and http://www.albirspain.com/driving.shtml

Quote: Right of way is given to any vehicle coming from your right. Where a minor road intersects a major road you should see a sign reading "Stop" or "Ceda el Paso" (give way); Even if the sign is not there, the traffic on the major road will still have priority.

Its not 100% clear.. from the underlined bits, so defensive driving again

Happy New Year!

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Jan 10th 2014 at 9:06 am.