Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

driving license help needed

driving license help needed

Old Jan 29th 2010, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Emma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to all
Default driving license help needed

hi all,

my OH is Gibraltarian, we are looking to buy a Spanish plated car, can he drive it without problems on a Gibraltar driving license?

thanks
Em
Old Jan 30th 2010, 10:46 am
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all
Default Re: driving license help needed

Quote:
[B]If you are a Spanish resident, no.
Except in special circumstances. Example taking it for a test drive, picking up someone from the airport when the owner can't drive for some reason, but in general the answer is as Valenciatim said, NO

That would also apply to anyone if they are Resident even if they have a foreign DL.

I copied the above from a duplicate post by Emma

Last edited by johncar61; Jan 30th 2010 at 10:48 am.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 10:53 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johncar61
Quote:
[B]If you are a Spanish resident, no.
Except in special circumstances. Example taking it for a test drive, picking up someone from the airport when the owner can't drive for some reason, but in general the answer is as Valenciatim said, NO

That would also apply to anyone if they are Resident even if they have a foreign DL.

I copied the above from a duplicate post by Emma
errrr - no

the other question was
Now, my problem, is that if my OH gets his Gib car repaired (rather than getting a new car), can I drive it legally with my spanish driving license?

Em
not as on this thread

Originally Posted by Emma-Louise
hi all,

my OH is Gibraltarian, we are looking to buy a Spanish plated car, can he drive it without problems on a Gibraltar driving license?

thanks
Em
Old Jan 30th 2010, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

Emma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to all

Hi,

Sorry the post wasn't an exact duplicate....

The first asks if he can drive a Spanish car with a Gib license...

The second asks if I can drive a Gib car with a Spanish license.....

I thought that differnet people may know the different answers, hence why 2 posts!

As a couple that are thinking of downsizing to 1 car (as the OH also has a bike that he regularly drives to work in Gib) it is difficult trying to work out what would be legal for both of us to drive!

Last edited by Emma-Louise; Jan 30th 2010 at 10:58 am. Reason: as Lynxa said, but she beat me to the send button! he he
Old Jan 30th 2010, 11:06 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Sorry the post wasn't an exact duplicate....

The first asks if he can drive a Spanish car with a Gib license...

The second asks if I can drive a Gib car with a Spanish license.....

I thought that differnet people may know the different answers, hence why 2 posts!

As a couple that are thinking of downsizing to 1 car (as the OH also has a bike that he regularly drives to work in Gib) it is difficult trying to work out what would be legal for both of us to drive!
I suspect the answer is pretty much the same to both though

do I remember rightly that you have a spanish driving license?

if so, then no, if you're resident in Spain you can't long-term drive a car plated anywhere else

I have no idea though about Gib nationals/residents though driving Spanish plated cars in Spain - is that more or less the same as British?
Old Jan 30th 2010, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

It's all soooo confusing!

Looks like we won't be able to share a car afterall!
Old Jan 30th 2010, 11:18 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Looks like we won't be able to share a car afterall!
does he live in Spain too?

could he not just swap his license?
Old Jan 30th 2010, 11:28 am
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

Looks like we won't be able to share a car after all!
Sorry Emma for my error re the two posts, But the answer was effectively the same.

If a person is resident in Spain (in normal circumstances) they cannot drive a foreign registered car in Spain. The kind of licence is not relevant to that.

If you OH is resident he too cannot drive a Gib plated car here.

A non resident I am sure can drive a Spanish car on a Gib Licence, just like say a Brit or a German here on holiday. A resident can drive a Spanish car on a UK licence too.

Not really confusing, just inconvenient if one is trying to circumnavigation the law.

Last edited by johncar61; Jan 30th 2010 at 11:31 am.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

I wish it were that simple...

I am a full Spanish resident, so it seems that I am not allowed to drive his Gib car....

He is a policeman in Gib so has to be very careful and law-abiding! We live in spain together as he just needed an NIE to buy his house here, but is a full Gib national...So all-in-all he cannot swap his licence for a Spanish one......

So it looks like the new car will have to be Gib plates (he is buying it so I can't argue).... and then at least he is legal....

I just will have to drive the old heap whilst he has the sparkling new car
Old Jan 30th 2010, 11:42 am
Banned

I wish it were that simple...

I am a full Spanish resident, so it seems that I am not allowed to drive his Gib car....

He is a policeman in Gib so has to be very careful and law-abiding! We live in spain together as he just needed an NIE to buy his house here, but is a full Gib national...So all-in-all he cannot swap his licence for a Spanish one......

So it looks like the new car will have to be Gib plates (he is buying it so I can't argue).... and then at least he is legal....

I just will have to drive the old heap whilst he has the sparkling new car
It is that simple. He can drive his car in Spain. You cannot. If wee able to swap his DL it would alter the situation as it is now.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

I've had a thought...

If the new car he were to buy was on Spanish plates...
The car would be in his name....
It is not his main mode of transport as he has his bike...
Can he therefore drive it on his Gib licence?
In the same way as people who are from the UK that have a holiday home here and a holiday car, drive their Spanish holiday car with their UK licence...

Would that work?

Also if he were to swap his Gib licence for a Spanish one....is he then totally legal? Spanish car, Spanish licence, NIE number, homeowner but Gib national?

Ps. My head hurts
Old Jan 30th 2010, 11:53 am
¿Dónde estoy?

I've had a thought...

In the same way as people who are from the UK that have a holiday home here and a holiday car, drive their Spanish holiday car with their UK licence...

Would that work?
that's what I've been wondering

ask a policeman

you really want to drive the shiny new one, don't you
Old Jan 30th 2010, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I really really want to drive the shiny new one

Can you imagine how horrible it would be, a 2010 beauty next to my 1994 heap and I'm not allowed to drive it!

I need to ask a Spanish policeman...
May start phoning around Insuarance companies on Monday as well, see if they can help....and get my OH to phone trafico...
Old Jan 30th 2010, 12:05 pm
Banned

I've had a thought...

Would that work?

Also if he were to swap his Gib licence for a Spanish one....is he then totally legal? Spanish car, Spanish licence, NIE number, homeowner but Gib national?

Ps. My head hurts
As the song say, 'By Jove, I think she's got it'

He does not need to change his licence. AS a visitor to Spain I am pretty sure he can drive a Spanish reg car. But as someone said, to be absolutely sure get him to ask the Guardia. (at the border maybe)
Old Jan 30th 2010, 5:01 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by johncar61
As the song say, 'By Jove, I think she's got it'

He does not need to change his licence. AS a visitor to Spain I am pretty sure he can drive a Spanish reg car. But as someone said, to be absolutely sure get him to ask the Guardia. (at the border maybe)
but he lives in Spain................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.