Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

driving licence - urgent help

driving licence - urgent help

Old Oct 25th 2015, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Hollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond repute
Default driving licence - urgent help

Moving to Spain imminently and want to know what we need to do regarding our UK driving licences when we arrive?The address on ours is a UK one, so do we just get a Spanish licence?Do we need anything from DVLA before we move?
Old Oct 25th 2015, 11:24 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: driving licence - urgent help

You don't need to do anything. The licence will be valid for use in Spain until it needs renewing. It is acceptable to have a UK address on it even if you don't live there any more.

You would be advised to change it for a Spanish licence after you arrive, but it is not compulsory. That is quite straightforward.

Lots of info in this thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/spain...thread-786975/
Old Oct 25th 2015, 1:14 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

We are, of course, assuming that it's the plastic version and not the old paper licence.
Old Oct 25th 2015, 2:31 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

What if one looses a (Spanish) driving licence - my daughter has just had her purse stolen at a local fiesta?

Can she notify someone locally or must it be a visit to trafico some 1 hour away?
Old Oct 25th 2015, 6:45 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It's a visit to Trafico, I'm afraid.

About the only thing you can do locally is register a change of address, usually your town hall can do this. One reason is that your address is not shown on your licence (unlike a UK licence) so it is just a data update.
Old Oct 25th 2015, 7:29 pm
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Fred James
It's a visit to Trafico, I'm afraid.

About the only thing you can do locally is register a change of address, usually your town hall can do this. One reason is that your address is not shown on your licence (unlike a UK licence) so it is just a data update.
Thanks Fred, we've just been told that we have to go to the Guardia to do the denuncia and they will then 'order' a duplicate - I'll let you know if this turns out to be the case.
Old Oct 25th 2015, 7:58 pm

Yes, I can see that it might be different for a theft rather that the dog eating it!
Old Oct 27th 2015, 12:13 pm
Retired and loving it!

Update:

Went to the Guardia only to be told that this was how it used to be. So many people were going there for 'free' replacements that they stopped doing it.

You now have to go to trafico.

We asked the GC for a denuncia so that we had paperwork if my daughter is stopped and asked to show her d/l - they would NOT give us one! We were told that if she's stopped, then she may be fined !

To replace the SIP (health) card, we had to pay 3€ as we didn't have a denuncia. If we had one, it would have been free.

All other credit/debit/petrol cards stopped and, luckily, no one had used them - result!
Old Oct 30th 2015, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

calidana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fred James
You don't need to do anything. The licence will be valid for use in Spain until it needs renewing. It is acceptable to have a UK address on it even if you don't live there any more.

You would be advised to change it for a Spanish licence after you arrive, but it is not compulsory. That is quite straightforward.

Lots of info in this thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/spain...thread-786975/
Like so many things in Spain, there are grey areas and inconsistencies all over. About 2 years ago I got stopped in a Guardia roadblock and showed my documents. I handed over my valid Norwegian EU approved driving licence with photo only to be told it was not valid as I lived in Spain. Had never had this problem in the preceding 10 years during which I had been stopped a few times. I was given a 500e fine, reduced to 250e if paid within 20 days.
I was pretty irate but there is only so much protesting you do when the other guys have guns. I then incurred more costs getting a Spanish driving licence via a gestor as visiting traffico in Malaga is not something I want to do if I can help it.
All the time I felt I should not be having to pay these things, but what can you do when the powers that be seem to make things up as they go along?
Old Oct 30th 2015, 9:56 am

Yes, it does happen and it is pretty difficult to argue your way out of it.

There is no doubt that the vast majority of posters on here agree that exchanging is the sensible thing to do, if only to avoid hassle and also, a Spanish licence with your NIE on it is an excellent ID document in most cases.

Yes, it is the more expensive option, but as you found to your cost, it may be cheaper in the long run and it will have to be exchanged when it expires anyway.