Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

driving licence renewal

driving licence renewal

Old Jan 24th 2010, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

plumbber is an unknown quantity at this point
Default driving licence renewal

i have a tatty old green drivers licence that is in bits, should i change it for a new spanish licence or apply to the uk for a new one
Old Jan 24th 2010, 4:10 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: driving licence renewal

Either way you really should change it for a shiny new UK photo licence or better still, exchange it for a Spanish photo licence.

In the absence of a decent residency card now, they both provide a limited form of ID when stopped although, ultimately a UK passport is the correct form of ID.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

shaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to all

Originally Posted by plumbber
i have a tatty old green drivers licence that is in bits, should i change it for a new spanish licence or apply to the uk for a new one
Do you have a proper UK address i.e. one where you live rather than one you can borrow? If not, DVLA will not issue a replacement let alone allow you to apply for a new photo licence. If you live in Spain then you'll need to apply for a spanish licence - DVLA will supply a certificate of entitlement to drive for a fiver or so (Spanish authorities are unlikely to accept your green licence, even in good condition, for the purposes of an exchange). I am assuming that your green licence is a full UK driving licence, albeit very old...or is it a provisional?
Old Jan 25th 2010, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

I've just had to have my old paper licence replaced. Was done over the internet, my photo and signature were extracted from the Passport Office and as far as I can remember the only reference to a UK address was where I wanted to have my licence sent which appeared to be mandatory. If your passport is of the very old variety doesn't work mine is up for renewal next year.

I received two licence elements the Photo Licence and a Paper Licence which looked much the same as my old one. The two are apparently necessary if you are required to produce it.

Cost me nothing as I am of a certain age. Had expected to go through some horrendous process, like having to have my photo taken and go to a post box but never left my desk except to pick it up when it dropped through the letter box.

This was my experience.

All the info is on the web site.

JIm
Old Jan 25th 2010, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

shaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bigger Jim
I've just had to have my old paper licence replaced. Was done over the internet, my photo and signature were extracted from the Passport Office and as far as I can remember the only reference to a UK address was where I wanted to have my licence sent which appeared to be mandatory. If your passport is of the very old variety doesn't work mine is up for renewal next year.

I received two licence elements the Photo Licence and a Paper Licence which looked much the same as my old one. The two are apparently necessary if you are required to produce it.
This is nothing new. The point is that you MUST tell DVLA if you change address and they will not put a foreign address on a driving licence, they tell you to contact the authorities in your new country. The exception seems to be that while your licence is still valid (not expired, lost, defaced) they have to accept that, if it is an EU style photocard licence, it can still be used with your old UK address on it. Other, not sure if all, EU countries do not have the address on the licence. However, as soon as you lose it, or want to replace it for any other reason, they will refuse. Don't forget that if you are still using your UK licence you still need to obtain and carry the drivers' medical certificate as required for all drivers resident in Spain, otherwise your UK licence will be considered to be expired and you will effectively be driving without a licence.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by shaggymon
This is nothing new..
Bit churlish isn't it?

May not be new to you but since the last and first time I applied for a driving licence was in Cyprus in 1959 when we didn't have computers or a DVLA for that matter and the driving test was to drive a hungover corporal to the Chai Muckers tent where he gave me a Pink Slip to send off to the UK.

It was to me!!

Jim
Old Jan 25th 2010, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

I'm very confused by this driving licence business. When we moved to Spain 2 years ago we had the old green paper UK licences. We had never bothered to get the photocard ones. We were told we could only drive with them in Spain for a maximum of 6 months and we would have to exchange them for spanish ones.

Our lawyer did this for us - we signed a couple of forms, supplied passport photos and handed over our UK green licences. Back came spanish EU card licences, no trouble at all. We did not have to have medicals or anything.

They are great for using as ID so we don't carry our passports around with us anymore.

HOWEVER - they expire after 5 years, much sooner than our UK ones did and I have no idea how we are supposed to renew them. Suppose it will be back to the lawyer.

Rose
Old Jan 25th 2010, 9:16 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose
HOWEVER - they expire after 5 years, much sooner than our UK ones did and I have no idea how we are supposed to renew them. Suppose it will be back to the lawyer.
Rose
You should get a letter from Trafico about 3 months before they are due to be renewed. This acts as the renewal form and the rest of it acts as a temporary licence while you are waiting for the new one.

You then go to one of the recognised medical centres for the medical. You then send the form, medical certificate, payment (by Giro from the post office) and new photos off to Trafico.

Wait patiently for about 3 weeks and the new licence will appear.

That's the theory anyway! If you don't get the renewal form within 2 months of the expiry then you can usually get one at the medical centre and they will probably help you fill it in.

If you do it this way keep a copy of the application and the giro in case you don't get the new one before the old one expires and you are stopped. You don't have to send the old licence back.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Bit churlish isn't it?
Calm down! I was pointing out that this method wasn't new. My main concern was to comment on the replacement of licences for those now resident in Spain. There was nothing personal in my comment - it is just a fact.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shaggymon
Calm down! I was pointing out that this method wasn't new. My main concern was to comment on the replacement of licences for those now resident in Spain. There was nothing personal in my comment - it is just a fact.
There are a number of variations in the way to get a replacement licence in the UK.

I outlined the surprising ease with which I replaced mine using a particular variation.

The purpose of that was to acquaint the OP with it, if they were not already aware of it, which may or may not have then contributed to a decision.

The OP asked for advice on whether or not to get a Spanish licence or renew the UK one.

Whether or not a piece of information is NEW is relative to the recipient and may or may not be a FACT.

Jim

PS. Your "Michael Winner" impersonation needs more work!
Old Jan 25th 2010, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

There are a number of variations in the way to get a replacement licence in the UK.

I outlined the surprising ease with which I replaced mine using a particular variation.

The purpose of that was to acquaint the OP with it, if they were not already aware of it, which may or may not have then contributed to a decision.

The OP asked for advice on whether or not to get a Spanish licence or renew the UK one.

Whether or not a piece of information is NEW is relative to the recipient and may or may not be a FACT.

Jim

PS. Your "Michael Winner" impersonation needs more work!
My original answer was to do with someone seeking a licence replacement and who now resided in Spain,as I thought the OP was asking. Your method (albeit nice and easy...and new to you) is not available to someone in this position. Presumably the OP had already looked at the variations available to him on the Direct Gov UK website. The site does explain that these options are not open to people who now reside abroad but it is easily missed - again I sought to clarify this.

I agree my impersonations need some work but at least you worked out who I was trying to be! Thank you for that. It has given me the courage to carry on. Maybe I'll go on Spain's Got Talent.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

CarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fred James
You should get a letter from Trafico about 3 months before they are due to be renewed. This acts as the renewal form and the rest of it acts as a temporary licence while you are waiting for the new one.
You then go to one of the recognised medical centres for the medical. You then send the form, medical certificate, payment (by Giro from the post office) and new photos off to Trafico.

That's the theory anyway! If you don't get the renewal form within 2 months of the expiry then you can usually get one at the medical centre and they will probably help you fill it in.

If you do it this way keep a copy of the application and the giro in case you don't get the new one before the old one expires and you are stopped. You don't have to send the old licence back.
Renewal notification is no longer sent out. This came into effect over a year ago. Relatives of ours didn't receive a renewal last year but, having been over here for quite a time, went ahead and had their medicals done. They asked at the centre how could they get the temporary licence and were told that that had to go to Trafico Valencia, or Alzira, as this was nearer to them, with all their paperwork and a temporary licence would be issued on the spot for use whilst waiting for the proper licence. They had no problem and it was sorted straight away.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by CarolandTony
Renewal notification is no longer sent out. This came into effect over a year ago. Relatives of ours didn't receive a renewal last year but, having been over here for quite a time, went ahead and had their medicals done. They asked at the centre how could they get the temporary licence and were told that that had to go to Trafico Valencia, or Alzira, as this was nearer to them, with all their paperwork and a temporary licence would be issued on the spot for use whilst waiting for the proper licence. They had no problem and it was sorted straight away.
Well I can only speak from my own experience and that is what happened to me 12 months ago.

It may have changed or perhaps the letter got lost - this happened to my wife a couple of years ago.

There should be no need to get a temporary licence as you do not have to send the old one back so if you renew it in good time there should be no problem.

If you do end up driving on an out of date licence, so long as you have proof that you are in the process of renewing it, there should be no problem.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Fred James

Thanks Fred, that seems straightforward enough. Is there a list of the recognised medical centres somewhere?

Rose
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose
Thanks Fred, that seems straightforward enough. Is there a list of the recognised medical centres somewhere?

Rose
Sorry to chip in. You can search for your nearest one here:

http://www.dgt.es/portal/es/oficina_...e%20solicitar?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.