Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Driving licence

Driving licence

Old Dec 23rd 2021, 7:02 am
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving licence

I have a Spanish driving licence and no other!

I was on a short trip in another EU country and owing to me committing a traffic misdemeanour, managed to get a fine and points.

Not the quirky bit is that, that country now has on record that those points have been clocked up against me, but they will not actually on my Spanish driving licence.

My query is if anyone else has been in this situation and if they declared those points when getting car hire or car insurance?

Also, did it impact on the cost of the car hire or car insurance?
Old Dec 23rd 2021, 7:17 am
Just Joined

el barto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving licence

Given that insurers will go to any length tro get out of paying I personally wouldnt take the risk and would declare it.
I doubt it would make to much difference but depends how many points.
I used to have 3 points on mine and didnt seem to make any difference to cost of new insurance compared to when they eventually came off
Old Dec 23rd 2021, 7:22 am
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

Was very polite to the policeman and immediately admitted my culpability.

Only one point...

Nothing to get into a flap about....

First time in my life I got a point

Hopping mad about it!
Old Dec 23rd 2021, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

What country was it? Its unusual to be given only one point usually min of 3. I would guess it will eventually end up on your spanish licence given EU country and licence arrangements? There is an app that gives you all the details of both your licence including points fines and vehicle details so you can check if any points put on your licence, its called Midgt on Playstore.
Old Dec 23rd 2021, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure whether other countries EU or not can add points to another countries licence. In the UK the procedure when dealing with foreign licence for points was a skeleton licence record would be produced for that person for accumulated points etc. That was in case they applied at future point for a UK licence, that was some time ago and may have changed.
Old Dec 23rd 2021, 8:06 am
Just Joined

el barto is an unknown quantity at this point

I also thought that was why you had to hand over your UK licence (or EU one if switching to UK) so that you couldnt accumulate points on one and use the other to pretend you have a clean record.
Old Dec 23rd 2021, 8:09 am
Banned

Bob, I was very polite to the policeman and without hesitation admitted my guilt.

He told me he would go easy on me for that.

I was done for careless driving but he said it could have been dangerous driving and up to 6 points for that....

So for as I understand, one country cannot put points on the licence of another country.

However, if I was to take up residence in that country and surrender my licence for one there, then the points would go on that licence.

To be honest, I did a daft thing when driving and I paid the price.
Old Dec 23rd 2021, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree
Bob, I was very polite to the policeman and without hesitation admitted my guilt.

I was done for careless driving but he said it could have been dangerous driving and up to 6 points for that....

So for as I understand, one country cannot put points on the licence of another country.

However, if I was to take up residence in that country and surrender my licence for one there, then the points would go on that licence.

To be fair I doubt one point would make any difference if you told your insurer. Although thinking about it I think that point will simply stay with the country that issued it and would only be an issue you were to move there and exchange licences. No one is perfect and easy to make a minor infringement when driving in a different country or even area than one is used to, roundabouts in Spain for instance very different to how one negotiates them in the UK.
Old Dec 23rd 2021, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree

Not true about the points moving to your new licence. I have (had) six points on my UK licence when I exchanged it.
Speeding (but as I used to do about 50k a year its almost inevitable) but not an excuse.

Anyway. I have nothing on my nice spanish licence as I have checked.
I even asked the agent who did the paperwork and he said unless you were banned at the time of the swap you would get a nice clean licence.

I've had fines for speeding in Holland (Amsterdam ring round. 120k but 100k when raining. I was doing 110k). That came through the post to my UK address. Dvla weren't informed. (this was a couple of years ago when the uk was still part of the EU)

​​
Old Dec 23rd 2021, 11:07 am
Banned

I will repeat with a caveat, so it is clearer...

So far as I understand, one country cannot put points on the licence of another country.

However, if I was to take up residence in that country (where I received the points) and surrender my licence for one there, then the points would go on that licence.
Old Dec 23rd 2021, 11:19 am
Banned

The bit that gets my blood boiling is why all these anti-vax protesters attack the police?????

The police are ordinary individuals doing a job! They do not make the laws, so why attack them?

It it the politicians that make the laws!
Old Dec 23rd 2021, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

You're right that points 'virtually' lost or gained in one state cannot be transferred to another and that is largely because there is no commonality of penalties for given offences, fines can and may be enforced across borders though.

Some countries do establish 'ghost' or 'skeleton' licences' where points are notionally recorded and liable to be transferred to a national licence if one were ever issued during their validity.

Don't know about others countries but France is one in which a single point can be lost for a minor offence, in that instance if you keep your nose clean for the next 6 months the point is automatically restored. In terms of speeding 'minor' means less than 20% over the posted limit so the tendency for many is to drive at +20% until you get done and then behave yourself for the next 6 months!

Kudos to A2D for fessing up his guilt but because of the above as you have not lost any points from your Spanish licence you have nothing to disclose to your insurer.

As an aside anyone who has thus far escaped points (lost or gained as the case may be) has simply been lucky, no more no less!

An example: just a few weeks ago a friend of mine with a 50 year unblemished lost 4 points for the heinous offence of failing to come to a COMPLETE stop at a STOP sign and I defy anyone to swear that they UNFAILINGLY come to a COMPLETE stop at each and every STOP sign they encounter, the new 30 and 20kph urban limits can also be difficult to adhere to so that's as far away you are from your first 'nick'!

Before protesting and arguing the point here just check yourself next time you're out and about.
Old Dec 23rd 2021, 8:56 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
Kudos to A2D for fessing up his guilt but because of the above as you have not lost any points from your Spanish licence you have nothing to disclose to your insurer.
Regardless, I will advise the insurance company and either inform them in writing or record the conversation about the 'ghost' point I gained.

I do err on the side of caution, with such matters....
Old Dec 28th 2021, 2:21 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

At the moment I am sure they are just for the country's own records, because each country has their own penalties for different things.

E.g. in Italy you can have between 0 to 30 points on your licence, it'd be difficult to convert that to your Spanish licence.

Last edited by DLC; Dec 28th 2021 at 2:24 pm.