Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Driving Licence.

Driving Licence.

Old Nov 27th 2009, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth, Dorset, UK....Now in Sabariego, Nr Alcala la Real, Jaén
ricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the rough
Default Driving Licence.

Good Morning

In just over 2 weeks time, I reach my 65th birthday and on my Spanish Driving Licence, I notice I should stop driving about 1 week later.

My Spanish friend said to me, I should have received some paperwork/documentation about going to my local Medical Centre, where I can have a medical, a doctor fills out a form, which gets sent to Traffico and in theory a new licence to carry on driving.

As I have not received any paperwork from Traffico or any other department, does anyone know or can put me in the right direction of what I can do?

I live near a small town called Alcaudete in the south of Jaén province and my Spanish friend said it is possible the local police may have forms etc for me to fill in. Could this correct?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Regards

Richard
Old Nov 27th 2009, 8:02 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licence.

Can't help re the driving licence paperwork but HAPPY 65th BIRTHDAY for 2 weeks time
Old Nov 27th 2009, 8:10 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Not reached you age just yet so do not have any knowlage if the medical is any different, but...... we never recvied any paperwork aupon asking our Gesrtoria we was advised to havea medical at a "pisotecnico" (sp?). They will arrange the test and then you go with all the documents you have to the trafico and renew your DL
Our test was easy just read a few letters out like at an Optician and for the Lorry Licence there wasa colour test too.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 9:12 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ricardoylucia
Good Morning

In just over 2 weeks time, I reach my 65th birthday and on my Spanish Driving Licence, I notice I should stop driving about 1 week later.

My Spanish friend said to me, I should have received some paperwork/documentation about going to my local Medical Centre, where I can have a medical, a doctor fills out a form, which gets sent to Traffico and in theory a new licence to carry on driving.

As I have not received any paperwork from Traffico or any other department, does anyone know or can put me in the right direction of what I can do?

I live near a small town called Alcaudete in the south of Jaén province and my Spanish friend said it is possible the local police may have forms etc for me to fill in. Could this correct?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Regards

Richard
Youre supposed to have medical tests at intervals throughout your driving life in Spain, iirc as follows:

18 to 45 years - every 10 years
45 - 70 years - every 5 years
70 and above - every 2 years

Most medical centres do the tests, which are not too demanding! Or just conatct traffico
Old Nov 27th 2009, 9:20 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

They are supposed to send you a reminder/application form but it seems hit and miss.

I recently renewed my wife's licence by post after the renewal form failed to arrive. You can download the application form from

http://www.dgt.es/was6/portal/conten...Castellano.pdf

Details of documents required are here

http://www.dgt.es/was6/portal/conten...CONDUCCION.pdf

You will also need a "talon foto" which is a small piece of paper to which you stick one of the photos and sign in the box underneath. This is what they scan onto your new licence. I cannot find a way of downloading it - you could ask at the medical centre for one.

Send the documents off to your local Trafico office and make sure you keep a copy of the application form and send it registered post so you have proof as you are unlikely to get it back before the old one expires. You don't have to send your old licence. You make the payment by giro at the post office.

Alternatively you can go to the trafico office and do it there or take the easy option and pay a gestor.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 9:27 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
or take the easy option and pay a gestor.
That is what I did, 35€ very well spent I thought
Old Nov 27th 2009, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Just go to your local Medical Centre and they should be able to do everything for you but do take some photos along.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth, Dorset, UK....Now in Sabariego, Nr Alcala la Real, Jaén
ricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the rough

Thank you all for your replies and apologies for not coming back sooner. Had a leak in our kitchen to fix.

I am now confused to know what to do.

Do I go to our medical centre, see a gestor or what?

Once again thank you for your help.

regards
Old Nov 28th 2009, 8:32 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The first thing you have to do is get your medical certificate.

They should have the application forms and hopefully the "talon photo".

Fill out the form, get the photos and then either post it to Trafico, take it yourself or give all the papers to a gestor to take it to Trafico.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 8:37 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

If you have to have a medical go to the pisotecnico. They will have the forms for you to take to Trafico, if you pass the test that is. You have to pay a fee for the privilege for the test.
Then either take the forms, (with all your other documentation as you never know what the counter clerk wants to see) to Trafico. If you do not want to go to trafico then pay a Gestoriar for the pleasure of going on your behalf. No matter which way you do handle the paperwork with trafico, they (trafico) will also want a cut of your money.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Our medical centre did everything for us for 50 euros. Good value and no long waits at Traffico. Driving licence posted back to our post box.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

CarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Fred James;8128760]They are supposed to send you a reminder/application form but it seems hit and miss.
QUOTE]

My relatives who are mid 70's knew they needed a new medical and a new licence but didn't have a reminder. They went to get a medical anyway and would have normally just sent their details in by post but my Uncle mentioned at the medical centre that normally a reminder gives you 90 days cover until your new licence comes back. He was told that from about February this year no more reminders were being sent out but he was given the address of an office where he could go in person and renew his licence. This he did and was given a temporary licence straight away to enable him to drive until the proper one arrives.

Hope this helps.
Carol.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Update

Have had photos done and a local Gestor is doing everything for me, but will cost 54€; medical tomorrow and everything takes about week to change over.

We have an English Centre near where we live, went to ask where the Psicotecnico was, no-one knew where it was and no-one had any idea about renewing Spanish driving licenses. lol Somebody said go to the local driving school, they will know. lol

At least, using this forum, one does receive a proper response with extremely helpful suggestions. So, thank you one and all.

The only question I have; does anyone know what the approximate cost of a medical is at a Psicotecnico?

Regards

Last edited by ricardoylucia; Dec 1st 2009 at 11:35 am. Reason: Additional senrence.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 2:08 pm

It seems to vary from place to place at around €30 to €50. It's usually 20% less if you are over 70.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Jontee has a spectacular aura aboutJontee has a spectacular aura aboutJontee has a spectacular aura about

Make sure you get the photos done first. I went to get the medical and they could not do it until I got the photos as they have to attach the photo to the certificate. So I had to get the photos then return.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.