Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Driving Licence

Driving Licence

Old May 3rd 2006, 10:31 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licence

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
I am reluctant to quote myself in order to prove a point but isn't that what I said several posts ago?
Anyway, until then Article 22 applies to all EU driving licences not just Spanish ones. That is the point of that particular article is it not?

El titular de un permiso de conducción expedido en uno de los Estados miembros de la Unión Europea que haya adquirido su residencia normal en España quedará sometido a las disposiciones españolas relativas a su periodo de vigencia y de control de sus aptitudes psicofísicas, que serán los mismos que se establecen en el artículo 16 para los permisos expedidos en España.

Seems quite unambiguous to me.
Yes I agree, but what right has Spain got to say that they dont aknowledge the euro licence in their country and change the rules, when they are a member of europe ?

The idea of the euro licence is quote
"Currently, police across Europe can be presented with over 100 different licences in different languages, colours and formats. How can Czech policeman be expected to know what a valid Spanish or Irish driving licence looks like? The new licence will let police weed out the banned joyrider from the safe, licensed driver in an instant".
Spain is not helping if they expect everyone to change to a Spanish licence.

Last edited by jdr; May 3rd 2006 at 10:37 am.
Old May 3rd 2006, 10:35 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not so sure, lad. Anyway, I would rather not take the risk of having to spend the morning at Trafico or pay a lawyer just to prove I am in the right.

Anyway, I see that jdr has gone offline without responding to my last post so I will leave you to it!
Sorry, but the storm tripped the electrickery, I did post now though with a reply.
Old May 3rd 2006, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

We all know that Spain does exactly what it wants.

The proposal for the EU directive which can be found here contained the submission that rights of individual member states to impose their own periods of validity was to be abolished. However, this appears not to have been included in the actual directive which has to be purchased at a price of €40.

There is also some useful information here.
Old May 3rd 2006, 12:10 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

We all know that Spain does exactly what it wants.

The proposal for the EU directive which can be found here contained the submission that rights of individual member states to impose their own periods of validity was to be abolished. However, this appears not to have been included in the actual directive which has to be purchased at a price of €40.

There is also some useful information here.
Cheers, will have a look through later, bit heavy for a rainy day
Old May 3rd 2006, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Good Luck! Perhaps best taken with a
Old May 3rd 2006, 12:51 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Good Luck! Perhaps best taken with a
Looks best way
Old May 3rd 2006, 3:59 pm
Hanging by a thread

Location: England to Spain, Spain to England and back home for good
Sparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to behold

Hmmmmm......what to do, what to do......thanks guys, didn't mean to start a big thread, lol!!!

Would prefer to get an EU card type, but not sure if I fancy a hassle with the Guardia, given that my Spanish is still poco poco!!! Don't fancy a trip to Trafico in Malaga either come to think of it, ho hum.

Sparkle
Old May 3rd 2006, 9:11 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Sparkle2nite
Hmmmmm......what to do, what to do......thanks guys, didn't mean to start a big thread, lol!!!

Would prefer to get an EU card type, but not sure if I fancy a hassle with the Guardia, given that my Spanish is still poco poco!!! Don't fancy a trip to Trafico in Malaga either come to think of it, ho hum.

Sparkle
I know people that have had problems with the paper one re the guardia, but none with the euro licence.
Old May 3rd 2006, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

hmmm subtle hint jdr
Old May 3rd 2006, 10:40 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I know people that have had problems with the paper one re the guardia, but none with the euro licence.
I still have my UK licence, the "new" plastic photocard type, and last time I was stopped by the Guardia (about 6 months ago) I was given a stern ticking off and told to get myself along to Trafico pronto to have my UK licence stamped/endorsed. Needless to say, I still haven't bothered!
Old May 4th 2006, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sparkle2nite

Sparkle
If you have a UK photo ID license, then the easiest/fastest short-term fix would be to get the paper section of your license endorsed by the local police with your Spanish address.

Alternatively carry a copy of a document that shows your Spanish address together with your name and is also endorsed (your documento de empadronamiento, for example, or bank receipt of your contribución) - you probably need this for other things anyway.

Spanish police are generally reasonable if you show willing, even though we know that the legislation defines this step as voluntary and not obligatory.

Once the new Euro licenses are up and running properly, one can then switch.
Old May 4th 2006, 8:11 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Unexpat
If you have a UK photo ID license, then the easiest/fastest short-term fix would be to get the paper section of your license endorsed by the local police with your Spanish address.

Alternatively carry a copy of a document that shows your Spanish address together with your name and is also endorsed (your documento de empadronamiento, for example, or bank receipt of your contribución) - you probably need this for other things anyway.

Spanish police are generally reasonable if you show willing, even though we know that the legislation defines this step as voluntary and not obligatory.

Once the new Euro licenses are up and running properly, one can then switch.
I have a copy of a letter, issued by the Spanish transport authorities, confirming that the EU licences are acceptable on the Spanish roads. I have never had to produce it to the police but I am told by those that have that it had the desired effect.
Old May 4th 2006, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

ohhh, i have a copy of that letter might be worth me printing it off and carrying that with me too.
Old May 4th 2006, 2:36 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is the one you are referring to in case anybody else wants to read it:
http://www.spainvia.com/drivelicenceletter.htm
Old May 4th 2006, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

A friend who did just that not only got a fine for the driving licence but they then subjected his car to a rigorous construction and use check and he ended up with five more fines for various defects.

So if you are going to run the risk of waving a tatty piece of paper under the nose of a Guardia Civil you had better be pretty certain that they are not going to find anything wrong with either your paperwork or your vehicle. You don't want to end up like this...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.