Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Driving down to CE tolls and stops

Driving down to CE tolls and stops

Old May 11th 2021, 8:21 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving down to CE tolls and stops

Hi

A few years ago I posted about the badge that you can buy that allows you to sail through the French tolls (at 30km/hr.. Its fantastic, and beats the queues! ).. The badge also included the possibility to go through the other automatic tolls in Spain without paying immediately and also (usefully) the electronic tolls in Portugal (and Italy too). You only pay an admin charge for the (full) month you use it 1.70 euros and the normal toll charges charges are paid directly by your account. No use in a month - no admin charge. There is also a one off entry charge and delivery charge of the transponder badge.

We usually rent a car at Faro and pay the transponder surcharge for the PT tolls. However this year we are driving down as we don't want to be stuck in Spain again (as last year in lockdown - with our airline grounded). We did get back after a hellish trip involving delays, 2 flights and long waits at the airport..... and 18 hours travel! We prefer to jump in the car in case of any new CV19 emergency, to head back. Likewise as soon as any travel restrictions are removed, we want to jump in the car and head down. So today I ordered the badge. Here are the details in case you are interested.

MANGO Livret bienvenue -- GB --.pdf (aprr.fr) and
France, Espagne, Portugal | Mango mobilités (mango-mobilitesbyaprr.com)

We are planning on stopping on the way (we'll be going around Paris) then South West towards Bordeaux then past Salamanca to CE. Weve heard that Irun is a great stop, but wondering about other recommendations. Is Salamanca worth a break, please? Any other recommendations would be appreciated (we've done Biarritz and St Jean de Luz, previously). We haven't driven down for 13+ years so a lot would have changed

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; May 11th 2021 at 8:35 am.
Old May 11th 2021, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

maverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving down to CE tolls and stops

Hi Jon,
In Spain , on the Irun Ayamonte route, the toll is almost zero. If you follow in Irun the route towards Vitoria over Beasain , you only pay a couple Euros. The other route towards Vitoria costs about 20 euro . Distance and Time is exactly the same.
Salamanca is absolutly a place to see. The Playa MAjor , the Cathedral are just lovely. Salamanca is a typical University town and reminds me a lot on the good old times of " Leuven". We stayed in the Ibis downtown , very central who has an underground parking .
I really enjoy driving down this route towards CE. It is so quite and relaxing to drive, Irun Ayamonte is about 10.5 hous. Salamanca to CE about 6 hours. Let me know if you want more info.
Old May 12th 2021, 5:02 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the telepeage link. I normally drive to avoid tolls, but that seems much more convenient.
Old May 12th 2021, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Originally Posted by missile
Thanks for the telepeage link. I normally drive to avoid tolls, but that seems much more convenient.
Can I ask here about the required Covid tests. Will you need the PCR one 72 hours before entering France and will that same one allow entry to Spain?
I presume that Jon is in Belgium at present so as a Shengen country it won't be required to test at all? Any info please.
Old May 12th 2021, 1:06 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maverik
Hi Jon,
In Spain , on the Irun Ayamonte route, the toll is almost zero. If you follow in Irun the route towards Vitoria over Beasain , you only pay a couple Euros. The other route towards Vitoria costs about 20 euro . Distance and Time is exactly the same.
Salamanca is absolutly a place to see. The Playa MAjor , the Cathedral are just lovely. Salamanca is a typical University town and reminds me a lot on the good old times of " Leuven". We stayed in the Ibis downtown , very central who has an underground parking .
I really enjoy driving down this route towards CE. It is so quite and relaxing to drive, Irun Ayamonte is about 10.5 hous. Salamanca to CE about 6 hours. Let me know if you want more info.
Thanks Mav firstly for giving me the Irun idea previously, then these ideas. I'm guessing that the Beasain route is more scenic one. Also the Ibis sounds perfectly situated in Salamanca.

Olivia as things are changing regularly here are 2 sites for up to date CV19 travel restrictions.

https://uk.ambafrance.org/COVID-19-r...r_ajax_redir=1

https://reopen.europa.eu/en

and 90 day rules

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/brits-overstaying-eus-90-180-days-rule-to-face-penalties/

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; May 12th 2021 at 1:21 pm.
Old May 12th 2021, 1:46 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by olivia
Can I ask here about the required Covid tests. Will you need the PCR one 72 hours before entering France and will that same one allow entry to Spain?
I presume that Jon is in Belgium at present so as a Shengen country it won't be required to test at all? Any info please.
When are you intending to travel? Currently you would need PCR. This is likely to change with covid vaccine passports.
Old May 12th 2021, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Thanks Mav firstly for giving me the Irun idea previously, then these ideas. I'm guessing that the Beasain route is more scenic one. Also the Ibis sounds perfectly situated in Salamanca.

Olivia as things are changing regularly here are 2 sites for up to date CV19 travel restrictions.

https://uk.ambafrance.org/COVID-19-r...r_ajax_redir=1

https://reopen.europa.eu/en

and 90 day rules

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/new...ace-penalties/

Jon
Many thanks.
Old May 12th 2021, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

When are you intending to travel? Currently you would need PCR. This is likely to change with covid vaccine passports.
We did hope to set off at the end of the month. We usually drive from the tunnel but I am looking at the boat to Spain too since we no longer have a dog to consider. I hope the vaccine passport does replace PCR testing.
Old May 12th 2021, 4:29 pm
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by olivia
We did hope to set off at the end of the month. We usually drive from the tunnel but I am looking at the boat to Spain too since we no longer have a dog to consider. I hope the vaccine passport does replace PCR testing.
I think you might be safer waiting until end of June.
Old May 12th 2021, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think you are right. We had hoped to get a trip in before it gets too hot for us but not to be.
Old May 12th 2021, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think you are right. We had hoped to get a trip in before it gets too hot for us but not to be.
Old May 12th 2021, 6:57 pm
BE Positive

Jon
Something was 'tickling my brain' about the Basain route. When I google mapped it, I realised a famous resto is right on the route!! This was featured in BBC's 'Remarkable places to eat' where Fred Siriex was taken to favourite places by Nisha Katona.

Scroll down here. To Casa Julian
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...-places-to-eat

And booking available on their site
https://casajulianmg.com/

We may well stop there now, what an amazing coincidence!! I immediately googled it when I saw the programme a while back. Luckily I didn't have one of my many 'senior moments' and forgot it

Jon

Old May 13th 2021, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Something was 'tickling my brain' about the Basain route. When I google mapped it, I realised a famous resto is right on the route!! This was featured in BBC's 'Remarkable places to eat' where Fred Siriex was taken to favourite places by Nisha Katona.

Scroll down here. To Casa Julian
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...-places-to-eat

And booking available on their site
https://casajulianmg.com/

We may well stop there now, what an amazing coincidence!! I immediately googled it when I saw the programme a while back. Luckily I didn't have one of my many 'senior moments' and forgot it

Jon
If you are taking a bit of time you might consider Segovia - home of suckling pig gastronomy. We stayed at the parador which is just a short way from the centre but gives a magnificent view of Segovia and its aqueduct.
or
Avila if you like to experience an almost intact medieval fortified city.
or
Plasencia - a bit further on than Salamanca but easily reached if you stay at Baissain. Again the parador is a well located hotel, former nunnery built next to the city walls but with a large secure carpark underneath. Short stroll to the plaza mayor to sit and watch the world go by while you choose your eatery.
We are hoping to get out to CE via Santander in September.
MikeJ
Old May 13th 2021, 10:07 pm
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by MikeJ
We are hoping to get out to CE via Santander in September.
The ferry is booking up fast.
Old May 13th 2021, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

The ferry is booking up fast.
We have tickets for 2nd September - rebooked from last year! Fingers crossed at the moment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.