Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Doubts/questions about the Spanish language

Doubts/questions about the Spanish language

Old Mar 4th 2010, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold
Default Doubts/questions about the Spanish language

Don't know if the mods will allow this thread as I know they aren't keen on anything written in Spanish. Anyway, I'll give it a bash and see what happens.

I thought that perhaps if we have any doubts or questions about the Spanish language perhaps we could post them here.

I'm kicking off with this one to see if anyone can help me:

What is the difference between aun and aún? Can you tell me what each one means and perhaps use them in context in a few example sentences for me?

(My OH is Spanish and I have already asked him but he hasn't got a clue.)
Old Mar 4th 2010, 11:50 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doubts/questions about the Spanish language

If you just pop it into google you will get an explanation of almost anything.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jackytoo
If you just pop it into google you will get an explanation of almost anything.
The same could be said of any question ever posted on this forum!!

I could also look it up in one of my grammar books.

However, I chose to post it here so that I could have a two-way conversation and ask about doubts/confusions that I may have.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Veleta
Don't know if the mods will allow this thread as I know they aren't keen on anything written in Spanish. Anyway, I'll give it a bash and see what happens.

I thought that perhaps if we have any doubts or questions about the Spanish language perhaps we could post them here.

I'm kicking off with this one to see if anyone can help me:

What is the difference between aun and aún? Can you tell me what each one means and perhaps use them in context in a few example sentences for me?

(My OH is Spanish and I have already asked him but he hasn't got a clue.:rolleyes
Same reaction from a Spaniard standing next to me!!
Old Mar 4th 2010, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rotor
Same reaction from a Spaniard standing next to me!!
Great, innit? You'd think that having a Spanish OH would mean that I could use him as a point of reference for all things Spanish related, but no, not at all.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 12:09 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

That is why everyone cannot teach their own language even though they know it prefectly

Here is a good explanation

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0183443AAC6jqu
Old Mar 4th 2010, 12:13 pm
Banned

icharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really nice

The same could be said of any question ever posted on this forum!!

I could also look it up in one of my grammar books.

However, I chose to post it here so that I could have a two-way conversation and ask about doubts/confusions that I may have.
Yuo'd be better of on Google than with these clown's
Old Mar 4th 2010, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Great, innit? You'd think that having a Spanish OH would mean that I could use him as a point of reference for all things Spanish related, but no, not at all.
I think it is an either either thing.
The difference in everyday language is to subtle to make a difference.
If you said both together it would turn out as 'even still'.
Just like english there are words that grammatically make no sense in every day life.
Hope that helps.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 12:20 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

There's nothing wrong with what you are posting.

Rule 16 is quite clear - you cannot have *discussions* in a foreign language.

Questions about the Spanish language are perfectly acceptable.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 12:24 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by icharus
Well if that is the way you feel I respectfully suggest you go and post on another forum where, clearly, they aren't as stupid as we are!
Old Mar 4th 2010, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jackytoo
That is why everyone cannot teach their own language even though they know it prefectly

Here is a good explanation

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0183443AAC6jqu
Thx. The messages on that site are a bit confusing to say the least, but I think the useful bit (despite the author coming back and editing her answer twice!) was:

Please note the difference between "aun" and "aún".
Aun is a connector (although)

EDIT: aun means "even", not although.
Aún is a time adverb. (yet): Aún no he terminado

EDIT 2:
Aún: yet or still
Aun: even

So, let's see if I can use it correctly......can anyone confirm???

No he ido a Londres aún.
Aún no he ido a Londres.
Aún no has visto Avatar.
Aún no he hecho mis deberes.

No he hecho mis deberes, aun sabiendo que me van a castigar.
Fui a ver Avatar, aun sabiendo que no me gustaría.

...I'd like to think of some more sentences with "aun" but not with "sabiendo" but I'm lacking inspriation. Anyone?
Old Mar 4th 2010, 1:20 pm
Banned

icharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Well if that is the way you feel I respectfully suggest you go and post on another forum where, clearly, they aren't as stupid as we are!
Whee would be the fun in that !
Old Mar 4th 2010, 2:26 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Whee would be the fun in that !
See my pm!
Old Mar 4th 2010, 2:32 pm
Banned

Fui a ver Avatar, aun sabiendo que no me gustaría.

That doesn't sound right, I would have used "aunque" although I don't know why
Old Mar 4th 2010, 3:39 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly be better off without you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.