Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Double taxation issues

Double taxation issues

Old Sep 15th 2007, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

kafkaesque is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Double taxation issues

I'm hoping to move to spain in January to set up buisness. Will I have to pay tax in the UK for jan, feb, march as well as to the Spanish tax man? I can't seem to get any info which is absolutely clear about this.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 8:16 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Double taxation issues

Originally Posted by kafkaesque
I'm hoping to move to spain in January to set up buisness. Will I have to pay tax in the UK for jan, feb, march as well as to the Spanish tax man? I can't seem to get any info which is absolutely clear about this.
No, as far as I understand it you can't be double taxed under EU regulations.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 12:05 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you could, just shows what I know I guess.

always thought it was upto you to make sure you ensure you didn't get double taxed, where is Fred??
Old Sep 16th 2007, 12:36 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I thought you could, just shows what I know I guess.

always thought it was upto you to make sure you ensure you didn't get double taxed, where is Fred??
Probably out, enjoying and having a life
Old Sep 16th 2007, 2:33 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kafkaesque
Once you leave the UK you do not pay tax on any income arising outside the UK and I doubt that you would tell the UK taxman about it anyway.

You will be liable for Spanish tax on your world wide income when you become tax resident which will be after you have been in Spain for 183 days in one calendar year.

You will not normally have to pay the tax until the following year in June. If you set up a business or become officially self employed then the rules are different and more complicated and I personally have little experience of this side of taxation.

Under the Double Taxation Agreement between the UK and Spain you will never normally be taxed twice on the same income. Tax paid in the UK while tax resident in Spain is deducted from your Spanish tax bill.

It should not normally happen if you keep the UK HMRC informed of your plans and make sure that any UK income is not taxed at source.