Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Don't get caught by the Amazon Prime free trial

Old Dec 19th 2013, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Don't get caught by the Amazon Prime free trial

Apologies for this being just a cut and paste job from Consumer action group but I didn't want to put anything clickable due to the malware scare.
I've posted this as they signed me up to it without my agreement. Fortunately we saw it and don't trust anything like that anyway. I'll be watching them though because they signed me up in Spanish and all the details of how to cancel were also in Spanish. If you don't speak Spanish watch out for this!:-

If you've bought anything from Amazon this Christmas (and who hasn't?) are you sure you didn't unwittingly sign up for Amazon Prime at a cost of £49 a year?

Angry Amazon shoppers have been hit with a £49 charge for a special delivery service they claim they never signed up to.

Unwitting customers who took a free trial with Amazon Prime have been automatically slapped with a bill without warning.

Many did not even know their trial was up or that they had been charged, until they saw £49 taken on their bank statement.

And others who missed the small print did not realise they would have to pay extra after 30 days unless they cancelled within the free trial period.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Loco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't get caught by the Amazon Prime free trial

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Apologies for this being just a cut and paste job from Consumer action group but I didn't want to put anything clickable due to the malware scare.
I've posted this as they signed me up to it without my agreement. Fortunately we saw it and don't trust anything like that anyway. I'll be watching them though because they signed me up in Spanish and all the details of how to cancel were also in Spanish. If you don't speak Spanish watch out for this!:-

If you've bought anything from Amazon this Christmas (and who hasn't?) are you sure you didn't unwittingly sign up for Amazon Prime at a cost of £49 a year?

Angry Amazon shoppers have been hit with a £49 charge for a special delivery service they claim they never signed up to.

Unwitting customers who took a free trial with Amazon Prime have been automatically slapped with a bill without warning.

Many did not even know their trial was up or that they had been charged, until they saw £49 taken on their bank statement.

And others who missed the small print did not realise they would have to pay extra after 30 days unless they cancelled within the free trial period.
Yes - well it did require that you read carefully and understand the commitment. I used it and cancelled immediately. My month's trial ended a month ago and I've not been charged having had free delivery on a new router.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 9:59 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loco Pedro
Yes - well it did require that you read carefully and understand the commitment. I used it and cancelled immediately. My month's trial ended a month ago and I've not been charged having had free delivery on a new router.
You can use the trial a few times wait a few months a sign up again for the free month.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the warning.

I never sign up for any free trial that wants my payment details "if you decide to cancel you will not be charged" because they are relying on you forgetting to cancel.

Amazon already has its customers' payment details....in the past I think I probably used them enough to justify the payment but not now.