Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Dogs and Rentals

Dogs and Rentals

Old Apr 12th 2011, 7:49 am
Just Joined

alicat1969 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dogs and Rentals

How easy is it to rent with a dog and a cat in tow? In the apartment my family has in Torremolinos everyone seems to have dogs, but I imagine most of them own their own apartments...My dog is small and well behaved, so would be fine in a flat (we live in one in the UK)......When I was in Oz it was really difficult, and I had to provide a "pet CV"!! Any ideas?
Old Apr 12th 2011, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

thetraveller is just really nicethetraveller is just really nicethetraveller is just really nicethetraveller is just really nicethetraveller is just really nicethetraveller is just really nicethetraveller is just really nicethetraveller is just really nice
Default Re: Dogs and Rentals

My understanding is that it is actually illegal (according to EU law) to refuse rental to someone due to the fact they have a pet. But I have come across landlords that still state no pets.

They may decide to fight you and, in my opinion, it wouldn't be worth the fight.

There are lots of places for rent at the moment and there will always be another flat.

Originally Posted by alicat1969
How easy is it to rent with a dog and a cat in tow? In the apartment my family has in Torremolinos everyone seems to have dogs, but I imagine most of them own their own apartments...My dog is small and well behaved, so would be fine in a flat (we live in one in the UK)......When I was in Oz it was really difficult, and I had to provide a "pet CV"!! Any ideas?
Old Apr 12th 2011, 10:33 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

As a landlord I wouldn't be prepared to allow pets!

It clearly states in our (legal) contracts that pets are NOT allowed without express permission. However, one of my tenants did get a dog - it was left alone all day (8:00 - 20:00) and so howled all day. I had numerous complaints but as the landlord I was powerless.

When the tenant was due to leave, I noticed that the dog, out of boredom I presume, had chewed the furniture and used one particular corner of the lounge as a latrine!

I kept the deposit but it went no where near the costs that the dog caused.

I perhaps would accept pets if the tenant was really insistent but I would probably triple the amount of deposit that I took.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 12:01 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thetraveller
My understanding is that it is actually illegal (according to EU law) to refuse rental to someone due to the fact they have a pet. But I have come across landlords that still state no pets.

They may decide to fight you and, in my opinion, it wouldn't be worth the fight.

There are lots of places for rent at the moment and there will always be another flat.
That could depend on the statutes of the apartments or urbanization.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

avocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud of

By law, a landlord has no say as to whether his tenant has a dog or cat.

Any clauses in rental contracts governed by L.A.U., that stipulate "no pets" is illegal and therefore considered void.

The law is completely clear.

As a tenant you don't even need to tell the landlord that you have pets.

Landlord's like to think that their silly contracts are legally binding, well they are not. The law takes precedence, particularly as under spanish law a tenant IS NOT ALLOWED TO WAIVE HIS RIGHTS.

Exclusions might be.......rental of luxury properties and where a Community has specific rules applicable to everyone.

Have a nice day!!
Old Apr 12th 2011, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by avocados
By law, a landlord has no say as to whether his tenant has a dog or cat.

Any clauses in rental contracts governed by L.A.U., that stipulate "no pets" is illegal and therefore considered void.

The law is completely clear. As a tenant you don't even need to tell the landlord that you have pets.

Landlord's like to think that their silly contracts are legally binding, well they are not. The law takes precedence, particularly as under spanish law a tenant IS NOT ALLOWED TO WAIVE HIS RIGHTS.
Please provide a link to that law.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 2:35 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Please provide a link to that law.
we've had it before - but here it is!!

http://noticias.juridicas.com/base_d.../l29-1994.html
Old Apr 12th 2011, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

That's really helpful - thanks everyone. My dog is middle aged and extremely well behaved so I have no fears about furniture/latrine issues, I would be quite confident that he would be a perfectly acceptable house guest.
So, to clarify - I don't actually have to SAY I've got a dog? (Obviously unless it specifically prohibits animals on the lease)?
Old Apr 12th 2011, 2:51 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alicat1969
That's really helpful - thanks everyone. My dog is middle aged and extremely well behaved so I have no fears about furniture/latrine issues, I would be quite confident that he would be a perfectly acceptable house guest.
So, to clarify - I don't actually have to SAY I've got a dog? (Obviously unless it specifically prohibits animals on the lease)?
we have cats - we've never had problems

one contract did state no pets, but we had that bit taken out before we signed - I didn't realise at the time about the LAU

as jdr says, the only case where it would be different would say, be on a gated community where pets are forbidden by the community rules

one place we lived there was a rule that owners could have up to 2 dogs - one family rented & lied - they actually had 4 or 5 in a small flat & stupidly left them on the balcony all day

very noisy & rather smelly, since that was their toilet too

they were caught & told to lose some of the dogs or leave

they left
Old Apr 12th 2011, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

Unfortunately those sort of people give those of us who are responsible animal owners a bad name. My dog is NEVER left alone all day - I wouldn't dream of it, I currently live in a ground floor flat with extremely thin walls, so my dog has learnt from a very early age to be quiet when inside - I'm sure no-one would ever know he was here! . Well, that's really put my mind at rest, I can start trying to find a job now and plan the big move!!
Old Apr 12th 2011, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

adra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really nice

I think you would be better to tell the landlord, although by law one has to allow domestic pets, it wouldn't stop them serving notice on you, also it is not a good way to start off a relationship with your future landlord, as a landlord i wouldn't appreciate not being informed, also i think its less of a problem in Spain with all the tiled areas, Good luck !
Old Apr 12th 2011, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, I have always been honest about my pets when I was renting here in the UK, and you're right, it helps to have a good relationship with your landlord from the start. Thanks for all the advice all.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

When we found a house that we wanted to rent we specifically told the future landlords that we were bringing dogs with us and had it written into the contract that pets were allowed. There were no issues from them and they were happy to put it in for us.

We started off bringing 2 dogs and are now up to 4 dogs (1 is going to the UK as it was found by my parents while staying with us) and 2 cats as well, I also take dogs in for a local charity that sends them abroad so I get short stayers as well.

Be honest with them and get a good agent to find the ideal place for you, view plenty of properties and when it comes to one you like meet the landlord before you sign your contract.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 1:51 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't there also a law which states that you can't own more than a certain number (4?) of dogs without some sort of licence?

I've taken a quick look at the link provided and can't see the section on pets - can someone give me a clue please.

Last edited by snikpoh; Apr 13th 2011 at 1:56 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Only just came across this thread, which may make finding a rental property a whole bunch easier.....I'd thought I was obliged to mention/ask about our pets.
Really only bumped the thread to see if anyone who knew before is in a position to confirm this still applies?
And as to 'telling up front', presumably the best thing is go look at place(s), decide for yourself if you feel your pets would behave well there (tiled floor or not, outside space or not, proximity of other homes, etc) then what? Mention at point of discussion contract even if it's not in the contract? Obviously you'd have to if it was in there... !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.