Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Dog Licence in Spain ??

Dog Licence in Spain ??

Old Dec 14th 2016, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

DaveT11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dog Licence in Spain ??

I have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier that we are taking to Spain with us and recently i have been told that a licence is needed and insurance. Im getting conflicting advice on this, can anyone shed any light on it please. I dont want to be in the position of having him taken off us due to not having the correct paperwork etc. Thank you.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog Licence in Spain ??

Our friends have dogs. They have not mentioned anything about licences etc although IMHO all dogs should be licensed and have their DNA taken and that way there might be a reduction in dog mess being left on the pavements.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tebo53
Our friends have dogs. They have not mentioned anything about licences etc although IMHO all dogs should be licensed and have their DNA taken and that way there might be a reduction in dog mess being left on the pavements.
Most responsible owners do clean up after their dogs but we all are under suspicion because of the few that don't.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 7:06 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It is classified as a potentially dangerous dog and a whole set of rules apply, including the need for a licence. While out, they must be muzzled and on a short lead.

Pets in Spain: Laws about Potentially Dangerous Dogs- Andalucía Realty

A guide to getting a license for listed dangerous dogs in Spain | InMalagatoday
Old Dec 14th 2016, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveT11
Most responsible owners do clean up after their dogs but we all are under suspicion because of the few that don't.
In Spain you would be one of the few that do!
Old Dec 14th 2016, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
In Spain you would be one of the few that do!
I agree Johnny, most don't pick up their dogs mess here in Benidorm. You have to walk a slalom course along the back streets in the daytime and avoid walking along those streets after dark as you're almost bound to tread in some dog mess on your way home.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

BigD Nerja is an unknown quantity at this point

Dave,
whilst the info Fred has posted is the legal position the reality is slightly different. As Anne said at the end of her blog (second link) she has doubts the law will ever be enforced properly and this is the case. I have a dog albeit a small one and have never had a licence. I know numerous other dog owners and none of them has a licence.
The only problem I have come across was when a friend foolishly walked her 2 large dogs on one of the main beaches during the day in summer and was fined 70€.
I would suggest use common sense, keep it on a lead and when you relocate speak to others about how the local authorities view dogs and where is acceptable to exercise them.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 9:15 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigD Nerja
Dave,
whilst the info Fred has posted is the legal position the reality is slightly different. As Anne said at the end of her blog (second link) she has doubts the law will ever be enforced properly and this is the case. I have a dog albeit a small one and have never had a licence. I know numerous other dog owners and none of them has a licence.
The only problem I have come across was when a friend foolishly walked her 2 large dogs on one of the main beaches during the day in summer and was fined 70€.
I would suggest use common sense, keep it on a lead and when you relocate speak to others about how the local authorities view dogs and where is acceptable to exercise them.
The licensing is for those dogs classed as 'dangerous' dogs in Spanish law, and, unfortunately for the OP the Staffordshire bull terrier is one of those, so it is important that you do get the correct license, we had a neighbour with an American Staffie, and it regularly got over the small fences surrounding their property and into other peoples properties, we lived on a community, and the people in charge enforced the license law and also made them keep the dogs chained up if they were outside, and they had to make all the fences higher to stop them getting out.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 10:19 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I have a dog albeit a small one and have never had a licence.
That's because you don't need a licence for a small dog.

If you have a "dangerous" dog, it's a very different matter and the fines for non compliance are very big.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Fred and Mike my apologies you are correct what I meant was I have never registered my dog with the authorities and don't know anyone who has. (I live in Andalucia not sure if it's a requirement elsewhere?).

Dave, Mike makes a good point although the Spanish authorities are notorious for not bothering to enforce a whole range of laws what about your neighbours?
Old Dec 14th 2016, 10:56 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Fred and Mike my apologies you are correct what I meant was I have never registered my dog with the authorities and don't know anyone who has. (I live in Andalucia not sure if it's a requirement elsewhere?).

Dave, Mike makes a good point although the Spanish authorities are notorious for not bothering to enforce a whole range of laws what about your neighbours?
You only need a license for the breeds classed as 'dangerous' no other dogs need licenses
Old Dec 14th 2016, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Yes absolutely correct Mike but all dogs, cats and ferrets(!) need to be registered in Andalucia within 3 months. 'Dangerous' dog owners have 1 month to obtain a licence.
The confusion was my causing, there is a difference between registering a dog and obtaining a licence which I mixed up.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Dave, sorry for the confusion but the point I was trying to make still stands. I don't know anyone who has registered their dog or obtained a licence. I don't know of anyone who has been asked to produce their licence or had any problems with the authorities.
FWIW my advice would be to use your common sense, be mindful of your neighbours, talk to other dog owners and if you decide to get a licence you have a month in which to do so.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the input, I think I'll look into getting a license just to be sure. I've looked into it a little and more emphasis is placed on owners suitability which can only be a good thing, better than UK laws.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

pickle04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I have an English Bull Terrier who I travelled to Spain with for an holiday. As we were driving through France I checked out the law for this breed travelling through France too. I contacted the French embassy in France who were so helpful. They passed us on to the head of Agriculture with our queries who advised us that EBT are allowed in France and sent us paper work to confirm this in case we were stopped.

I also contacted the Spanish authorities who were not very helpful but in the end I did manage to get the info I needed to ensure that my dog was safe and allowed in Spain. Although she was not on the list of dangerous breeds,as a dogs measurements are also used as a guide she did fit into this category. Even breeds such as Labradors would fit this category too. Although very doubtful that a person with this breed would be stopped.

In Catalonia our dog is allowed although you did have to have a muzzle handy and if asked to put it on the dog you must oblige. Whilst we were out we bumped into two police men who stopped us with our dog. We showed them papers which identified the breed ,which we carried with us every time we went out. They asked us if she was gentle which she is, they then started to move their hands in front of her and jump about LOL to see if she would react, she didn't just looked at them gone out. She was then given a great big fuss off both of them and she gave out lots of kisses in return. We showed them the muzzle but they told us she was okay and no need for it. Every time we saw them after that, while we were there they made a bee line for her, much to her delight.

However Spain and its laws as many of you know, vary from place to place and in Valencia she is not allowed at all! I suppose with the dog in question being a Staffy you do know where you stand with the law.

If you are travelling through France with your dog Staffies are allowed but you have to have the pedigree papers. You have to prove that they are a pedigree other wise they can be classed as a mixed with other breeds eg, Pitbull which is banded and taken off you. I must say this information was correct on me travelling in 2014 not sure if things have changed up to date!

One thing I will comment on, in both France and Spain no one batted an eye lid at our dog and the fact that she was an EBT, we never encounted parents dragging children out of her way as we do here in the UK. In fact most of the time people would come over to her and fuss her and asked us to bring her into some of the shops we went in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.