Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Does this make you laugh, or cry?

Does this make you laugh, or cry?

Old Jul 10th 2009, 10:00 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Does this make you laugh, or cry?

http://www.costa-news.com/index.php?...=3208&Itemid=1

This is the area where I live, and the above statistics are either horrifying, or tell the real story of expats in Spain, this part at least. I don't know whether to laugh, or cry.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 10:06 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does this make you laugh, or cry?

Not sure which bit you're asking people to comment on? Is is this?

However at a meeting of Business Group España in Los Montesinos last Thursday British workers and company owners were urged to learn Spanish.
If so, then I agree - business owners really should learn the language. I do have sympathy with older retired folk - it gets a lot harder to learn a language when you get set in your ways. But yes, if you're running a business in Spain it makes sense to speak the language; I'd be surprised if most don't already do so.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 10:22 am
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

This is the village that was in the news last year as its Mayor is English, and doesn't speak Spanish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He'd been living there for something like 25 years as well!!!!! Will try and find a link.

He was a lowly councillor when the police came and arrested all the other councillors for corruption so he was the only one left. Classic story!!!!

I must find a link!
Old Jul 10th 2009, 10:24 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
This is the village that was in the news last year as its Mayor is English, and doesn't speak Spanish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He'd been living there for something like 25 years as well!!!!! Will try and find a link.

He was a lowly councillor when the police came and arrested all the other councillors for corruption so he was the only one left. Classic story!!!!

I must find a link!
I remember that

please find it!
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I must find a link!
Good god, its like the days of the Raj!

We will be marrying the natives next!

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Got it!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...n-arrests.html
Old Jul 10th 2009, 10:36 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG

This is the area where I live, and the above statistics are either horrifying, or tell the real story of expats in Spain, this part at least. I don't know whether to laugh, or cry.
if it's the bit about " I really should learn English"

then cry
Old Jul 10th 2009, 10:38 am
¿Dónde estoy?

I wonder if he's still in charge?
Old Jul 10th 2009, 10:51 am

Isn't it always the same though with stats - they say whatever you want them to say.

San Fulgencio used to be a small town. As I understand it, until around 8 years ago, it remained a small town until they started building a 'new town' which is apparently dominated by foreigners. So, the 'real' or 'old' town has pribably seen normal growth over the last ten years and the new urbanisation gives an abnormal result.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 11:51 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it always the same though with stats - they say whatever you want them to say.

San Fulgencio used to be a small town. As I understand it, until around 8 years ago, it remained a small town until they started building a 'new town' which is apparently dominated by foreigners. So, the 'real' or 'old' town has pribably seen normal growth over the last ten years and the new urbanisation gives an abnormal result.
Yes, that's often the case, as with Teulada and Moraira; Alfaz del Pi and Albir, and particularly with Orihuela and Orihuela Costa, but Algorfa doesn't fall into this category, it's an inland (I nearly said Spanish) town.

A few years ago, we regularly went into Algorfa to sample the Spanish atmosphere and eat in a typically Spanish restaurant; and the article in the Costa Blanca News made me laugh, seeing the town is now 83% British!

It's more British than a lot of British towns that I know back home.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Sounds a bit like somewhere else we know. Beginning with..............A.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by HBG

I notice in the article it says that the stats are based on the padron records....meaning that the true figures of Brits/foreigners in these areas are probably even higher.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by HBG
Yes, that's often the case, as with Teulada and Moraira; Alfaz del Pi and Albir, and particularly with Orihuela and Orihuela Costa, but Algorfa doesn't fall into this category, it's an inland (I nearly said Spanish) town.

A few years ago, we regularly went into Algorfa to sample the Spanish atmosphere and eat in a typically Spanish restaurant; and the article in the Costa Blanca News made me laugh, seeing the town is now 83% British!

It's more British than a lot of British towns that I know back home.
Well, that is another point of that report, in that if you skim it, like many do when reading online, it seems like they are saying the town has 83% Brits. It actually says it has 68.7% foriegners of which 83% are Brits. In most areas that have foreign enclaves I would suggest that the dominant nation would be British. You could say that 80% of the foreigners in Ayamonte are Brits for example, which may look alarming, until I tell you that foreigners don't even account for 10% of population so the number is very small really.

Lies, Damned Lies & Statistics - a journalist's best friend!!!
Old Jul 10th 2009, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Veleta
Sounds a bit like somewhere else we know. Beginning with..............A.
Given that this site has devoted a whole sub-forum to the place you allude to, you'd be forgiven for thinking that. The truth is, as mentioned above, the foreign community wouldn't even account for 10% of its 18,000 population. Scratch that - I doubt it even gets near 5%!!!!!
Old Jul 10th 2009, 9:17 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Given that this site has devoted a whole sub-forum to the place you allude to, you'd be forgiven for thinking that. The truth is, as mentioned above, the foreign community wouldn't even account for 10% of its 18,000 population. Scratch that - I doubt it even gets near 5%!!!!!
The whole province of Huelva has a total of 1000 registered foreign residents, the province has a population of 483,792 (2005) (Wikipedia)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.