Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Does honesty pay?

Does honesty pay?

Old Aug 29th 2011, 12:42 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does honesty pay?

Originally Posted by bil
As you say, the working man has ben bled white for thousands of years by organised thugs.

WRTo Cameron.

When the expenses scandal hit, he and Brown both were very quick to pay back quite large sums of money that they presumably felt would have been seen as misappropriation of public funds by the rest of us.

A benefit thief who pays some of it back is still a benefit thief, and since MPs have been so fast to pin the label of 'benefit thief' on those who take state money which they are not entitled to, then when they do the same, I feel that they too should wear that label.
sometimes it can be hard to define "benefit theft".
presumably that includes the couple with 6 kids, brought up honestly, but with father "living" round the corner otherwise it would effect mum's benefits. (do u blame the people or the system?)
then there's the person on benefits who starts working but finds they cannot afford to give up the benefits because either they are too high or the wage is too low.

when a new mp takes on a property and it requires a thoro clean top to bottom that is a business expense, when the pool is part of the property then that should be included - especially when the mp is holding swimming parties for children of constituents.
mp who has a different registered property to that of their mp spouse ? No way, they should both have heads banged together and lose the money for a year.

we cannot bring our kids up in a smokey environment of theft, graft, kickbacks, hiding money from the taxman etc etc without expecting them to pick up on it and want to take part.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 12:49 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
sometimes it can be hard to define "benefit theft".
presumably that includes the couple with 6 kids, brought up honestly, but with father "living" round the corner otherwise it would effect mum's benefits. (do u blame the people or the system?)
then there's the person on benefits who starts working but finds they cannot afford to give up the benefits because either they are too high or the wage is too low.

when a new mp takes on a property and it requires a thoro clean top to bottom that is a business expense, when the pool is part of the property then that should be included - especially when the mp is holding swimming parties for children of constituents.
mp who has a different registered property to that of their mp spouse ? No way, they should both have heads banged together and lose the money for a year.

we cannot bring our kids up in a smokey environment of theft, graft, kickbacks, hiding money from the taxman etc etc without expecting them to pick up on it and want to take part.
I agree, that it can be difficult to draw a line, and personally, I would be happier to turn a blind eye to the case you describe, rather than to more flagrant cases of fiscal abuse.

However, when we have a political party that defines any such misappropriation of public money as 'benefit theft' when it applies to the less well off, and then commit the same offence themselves, then they deserve all the abuse we can heap on them including that of gross hypocrisy.

Your last sentence sums my feelings up perfectly.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 1:29 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree with benefit theft or MP's fiddles but I always stressed to my two kids that it matters not what others are doing you need to have your own standards.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 1:49 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I don't agree with benefit theft or MP's fiddles but I always stressed to my two kids that it matters not what others are doing you need to have your own standards.
Absolutely right, and never more true than today. However, it is made a lot more difficult to enforce/explain when your child turns round and points out that everyone else does it.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 3:18 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Of course I never said that I hadn't told una mentira piadosa at some time, however I can categorically say I have never lied on a CV, or encouraged my kids to. We obviously have different ideas on what is a "slight offence", looting and stealing is not trivial, and that's what we are discussing. If you think a telling off from Dad is sufficient punishment for looting and stealing, that tells me a lot about you. I'll leave you to play with the ex plod, kindred spirits.
What a perfect example of telling the truth coming back to bite you. It has directly led to me being insulted, albeit from a flaky source. If I hadn't told the truth, that flaky source would not have been able to call me names, nor make his other silly comments.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 4:59 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
What a perfect example of telling the truth coming back to bite you. It has directly led to me being insulted, albeit from a flaky source. If I hadn't told the truth, that flaky source would not have been able to call me names, nor make his other silly comments.

Yes that would seem to be the case
Old Aug 30th 2011, 1:18 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Does honesty pay? Of course it does, most of the time.

But there are times when it encourages Schadenfreude, the underclass, the vindictive, when you're feeding the trolls of this world. Luckily those are few in number and recognising them is easy.

Just a few sentences give them away, and often just one.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 6:48 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
I just work on the basis that if you steal less than an MP, you aren't a thief.
Sorry, I really don't agree with this. Theft is theft.

It is right to be honest whether it 'pays' or not.

However, we all tell what we call 'white lies'. We all do it, but it is still dishonesty.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 6:49 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Well if we're talking Italy - we have the best of the best of money grabbing bastards here. We even have an MP who changes the law to suit his money grabbing activities.

It doesn't surprise me as much as it used to do when so called "big" trade professionals ask me how much I want to pay on a fiscal and legal invoice, and how much I want to pay cash for a discount.

Even the kids' dentist asks me today if I want an invoice - so did the estate agent all of 10 years ago and so did the solicitor.... and the plumber etc.
Happens in Spain too.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 7:03 am
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by HBG
We differ. I despise people who send their own flesh and blood to prison.
What would you do if your'flesh and blood' was Ian Brady or Ian Huntley or Dr Shipman?

(Brady, in fact, was 'shopped' by a family member).

Last edited by scampicat; Aug 31st 2011 at 7:09 am.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 7:07 am
Ex Expat

Yes, this is how I was brought up and how I have brought my son up.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 9:38 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by scampicat
Sorry, I really don't agree with this. Theft is theft.

It is right to be honest whether it 'pays' or not.

However, we all tell what we call 'white lies'. We all do it, but it is still dishonesty.
This was meant ironically. MPs who do this are IMO thieves. If you pick up a euro coin you find in the road and keep it you are a thief. Technically, I agree, technically, but it's like being technically pregnant.

I was trying to make the point that the lines between honesty and dishonesty are being blurred by the very people who are supposed to be setting a good example.

Does that help?
Old Aug 31st 2011, 10:16 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree with you but unfortunately there are so many people now who do not have any standards to keep and this is why ther are so many problems.

Rosemary
Old Aug 31st 2011, 12:32 pm
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by bil
This was meant ironically. MPs who do this are IMO thieves. If you pick up a euro coin you find in the road and keep it you are a thief. Technically, I agree, technically, but it's like being technically pregnant.

I was trying to make the point that the lines between honesty and dishonesty are being blurred by the very people who are supposed to be setting a good example.

Does that help?

Yes. You have remembered that I don't 'get' irony.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 1:00 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by scampicat
Yes. You have remembered that I don't 'get' irony.
How about 'coppery ' or 'Tinny' ??

We all draw a line where honesty starts and ends. If I found a 50 Euro note on the ground, then I would see it as mine.

(Obviously, if I saw someone drop it, that's a different matter.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.