British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/does-anyone-live-jaen-martos-area-737663/)

timmyf Aug 19th 2016 10:04 am

Re: Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Originally Posted by wicklowjack (Post 12030028)
anybody know a half decent tiler in martos just need the downstairs re-tiled

Ahmed (ash) Ahmed Mazzeri on Facebook

tfirth Aug 19th 2016 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 12030031)
At the local Trattoria I hope! ;);)

Ouch! fined I was told, 900k a time which seems so little. If they got dined for it then they would need a bigger restaurant for all the Endesa staff. The atmosphere would have been "dare I say it" ELECTRIC

Maur-Ross Aug 19th 2016 11:00 pm

Are there a dearth of reliable tradesmen in your town or is it that folk have not had time to find out about these things yet?

ZenaC Aug 20th 2016 12:04 am

Hi

If you still need a reliable tradesman I can recommend the gentleman who did the work on my house. His name is Dave and he is English but has lived in Martos for several years and speaks spanish.

You can either pm me for his contact number or you can find it on his site

Www.west5andalusianproperties.com

timmyf Aug 20th 2016 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Maur-Ross (Post 12030502)
Are there a dearth of reliable tradesmen in your town or is it that folk have not had time to find out about these things yet?

I personally wouldn't trust any English persons to do my construction work , it's a very different way to build here the materials are different and they do things in a very different way , I was a qualified bricklayer before changing carreer , and most of the Brits only have the Ryanair building / plumbing / electric certificates I've heard some horror stories of construction incompetence one from a person that has been named on here , so yes there are plenty of builders out here but good ones only a few , and remember peeps most things constructed need a licencia de obra minor from the local council

Mark604 Aug 20th 2016 8:08 am

I also had difficulties with a UK builder who was doing the original work on my house. The actual work he did was of a pretty good standard, but the admin and costings side of it was appalling. He was originally employed to do some initial work whilst we were out of the country in preparation for us moving in and then doing the major building work whilst we were here. It all went a bit pear shaped so we arranged for a local builder to continue. He had no problem obtaining the correct permits etc as he was doing that regularly.
At one point the UK builder wanted to do something that was against building regs. He knew this but we didn't. He tried to manipulate us without us knowing about the regs into saying things on paper that would help cover his back but not ours if the wheels came off.
It left a nasty taste in our mouths.

No doubt there are many reputable non-Spanish builders and his actions in this and other things may well have been a one-off. There are good and bad in everything. But I'd now always plump for a local bloke.
But, as with builders everywhere, there are good and bad as well. A Spanish friend nearby wanted a house building. He employed a local firm to do it and gave them a load of starting money. Two weeks later the owner did a midnight flit and the friend was left way out of pocket.

ZenaC Aug 20th 2016 9:33 am

I can't comment re other UK builders but can regarding Daves work as used him myself and having lived out here years he knows exactly what building permits and regs are needed.

Tbh I've also heard horror stories on Spanish builders, depends who you are talking to.

My advise is whoever you use if you are talking work costing hundreds if not thousands, do your homework. Ask to see before and after pics of prev work. Ask to see references and if possible a ref who will speak to you direct either via phone or email and not just a ref you see online.

Maur-Ross Aug 20th 2016 5:36 pm

Good advice. The whole prospect can be scary and costly

ZenaC Sep 1st 2016 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by timmyf (Post 12030689)
I personally wouldn't trust any English persons to do my construction work , it's a very different way to build here the materials are different and they do things in a very different way , I was a qualified bricklayer before changing carreer , and most of the Brits only have the Ryanair building / plumbing / electric certificates I've heard some horror stories of construction incompetence one from a person that has been named on here , so yes there are plenty of builders out here but good ones only a few , and remember peeps most things constructed need a licencia de obra minor from the local council

(Ive borrowed my friend Zenas account here to reply)

My first comment would be that this forum is for British and the comments relate to English which implies only one race of Great Britain. I'm sure no offence was meant but it can be construed as such.

I moved to Spain 12 years ago and in the UK I ran a company which was a member of the Federation of Master Builders and also Corgi registered. Our work included work on Cathedrals and Grade I and II listed buildings as well as being registered to carry out work in several London Boroughs and In Norfolk, Suffolk and East Sussex for borough councils with a special dispensation to work in Science Laboratories on the Isle of Man.

I would agree on moving to Spain, and seeing the way that work is carried out and the materials used can differ from the UK but with a little practice a competent builder can soon master the materials and a house has 4 walls and a roof and the general skills learnt and applied are the same no matter your location. I have personally worked on properties for both UK and Spanish residents here in Spain and in fact I would say that the quality of construction in the UK is superior to Spain due to climate here and the constant change of weather in the UK. Houses in the UK are built to withstand all extremes of weather, whereas until recent climate changes locally built houses in Spain were only built to withstand high temperatures. Any professional builder whether UK or Spanish would be expected to know and check the local building regulations and licences.

Whilst I would accept that some UK Builders are of dubious skillsets you cant't paint them all with the same brush.

ps Can I still apply for my RyanAir certificates although I drove down and if so where lol.

Granjero Sep 1st 2016 6:13 pm

Hey up Timmy I will
Pm you need a bit of advice

Nicola brown Sep 2nd 2016 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Granjero (Post 12041449)
Hey up Timmy I will
Pm you need a bit of advice

Hi everyone, hope all well. Just wondering whether any of you guys have been asked to declare your earnings to your Spanish bank recently. I have just received an email stating I need to send in a P 60 or a tax return! Apparently this is being asked of all clients. I have obviously requested more information. I have also been reading up on some of the Spanish taxation laws that came into power in 2012, which only just seem to be commonly known!!! I'm sure these only apply to full time residents of Spain, but still very concerning if they are correct, as I'm sure many of us hope to become full time residents one day!!!!! However, I'm concerned I may be missing something that may have changed after our exit from EU? If I have to declare my earnings, it will obviously apply to all! Any information people????? Regards Nicola x

wicklowjack Sep 3rd 2016 8:14 am

:eek:

Originally Posted by Nicola brown (Post 12042325)
Hi everyone, hope all well. Just wondering whether any of you guys have been asked to declare your earnings to your Spanish bank recently. I have just received an email stating I need to send in a P 60 or a tax return! Apparently this is being asked of all clients. I have obviously requested more information. I have also been reading up on some of the Spanish taxation laws that came into power in 2012, which only just seem to be commonly known!!! I'm sure these only apply to full time residents of Spain, but still very concerning if they are correct, as I'm sure many of us hope to become full time residents one day!!!!! However, I'm concerned I may be missing something that may have changed after our exit from EU? If I have to declare my earnings, it will obviously apply to all! Any information people????? Regards Nicola x

:goodpost: good luck with that never thought of that if we have to pay tax in Spain. was thinking of starting up a business there and will have to factor in taxes. in fact we should be getting a tax refund paying local council taxes as in refuse on houses that are not occupied all year along with paying heavily when buying the house if non nationals did not but them there whould be in fact be a short fall in the taxes

jonboy Sep 3rd 2016 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by wicklowjack (Post 12042625)
:eek:
:goodpost: good luck with that never thought of that if we have to pay tax in Spain. was thinking of starting up a business there and will have to factor in taxes. in fact we should be getting a tax refund paying local council taxes as in refuse on houses that are not occupied all year along with paying heavily when buying the house if non nationals did not but them there whould be in fact be a short fall in the taxes

That is so interesting! I hope the same will apply to me? That way I will only pay a certain amount for my time in the UK and probably even less for my time in Spain as I am not there so much.

wicklowjack Sep 14th 2016 5:44 pm

has anyone had experience in renting there property out have herd horror stories about rented properties rented out long term and not getting paid after the first month and tennents not moving out for up to 5 years ,apparently the courts favour the tennets more than the owner particularly if the owner is an expat

tfirth Sep 16th 2016 12:24 pm

Who is the water supplier for Martos?

littletony Sep 20th 2016 2:49 pm

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are considering a move to Andalusia and we will both hope to teach English there (the Jaen/Martos area looks a possibility with teaching position ads online and good property prices) So we know there are language academies there and we are reasonably confident regarding employment. My inquiry is, with many ex pats being retired and/or absent some of the time, are there many ex pats with young children there permanently? Is there good interaction between Spanish kids and other kids? Any advice on this will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rosemary Sep 20th 2016 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by littletony (Post 12057045)
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are considering a move to Andalusia and we will both hope to teach English there (the Jaen/Martos area looks a possibility with teaching position ads online and good property prices) So we know there are language academies there and we are reasonably confident regarding employment. My inquiry is, with many ex pats being retired and/or absent some of the time, are there many ex pats with young children there permanently? Is there good interaction between Spanish kids and other kids? Any advice on this will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

littletony Sep 21st 2016 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Rosemary (Post 12057050)
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Rosemary

Thanks Rosemary. Appreciated.
I am just trying to get a sense of the demographic of that particular area. What it is like for ex pat young kids and if there are many there on a permanent basis or is it mostly Spanish with a sprinkling of ex pat retirees.

Maur-Ross Oct 11th 2016 1:42 pm

Haven't heard from you Jaen/Martos folk in a while. How was your summer and how are you all getting on with your renovations?

Nicola brown Oct 21st 2016 8:38 pm

Hi everyone, hope all is well. Just got back from another visit to my little Casa in martos. Major problems getting in......😥..... metal expanded on front door!!!! 35 mins later and major help from the ' little old couple' next door, were in .... yeahhhh!!!! Dropped the cases, popped the cork and spent the rest of the evening chilling on the terrace!! 😃 lots achieved........painting, filling, more painting!!! We did get two days of down pours though, and, unfortunately, discovered a couple of leaks in the roof 😞 . Took the bus, for the first time, from Martos to Malaga, which actually left at 10.30, not 10!!!! All good though, reached Malaga in just under 4 hours. A little confusing after though! I was told to walk through to the train station, out the other side, and wait at the bus stop for a No. 110 bus, which travelled along the coast??? Found the nearest bus stop directly outside train station, but no idea if we were standing in the correct place! Any help appreciated ? Or is there a train that travels this way??? We got a taxi, so I am none the wiser!!!!! Stayed the Port side of the coast, very local and, not at all commercial 👍 Anyway that's me, how is everyone else doing? How's it going for 'brave few' that have moved out to Martos permanently? I still see very few English when there! Also took a trip to the bank with my tax return. Apparently, quite a few English have had to do this, residents and non residents. I think this is to prove that, if working, you are paying tax in either country. Any help appreciated on the bus/train situation, cheers Nicola

Maur-Ross Oct 22nd 2016 10:25 am

Hi Nicola, good to see you got some work done in Martos. Did you get the roof problem fixed. Also any update on your electricity/rewiring stuff?
You can get a train to and from Malaga train station/Malaga Airport. Takes about 20 minutes at the most. Did it in September

Nicola brown Oct 27th 2016 8:33 pm

Hi, thanks for that. Sadly I have still not had time or finances for roof or electrics! I will get one of the local builders to take a look at my roof when I return. Hopefully it will not cost too much to remedy. Also the electrics, I have decided will last a while longer, as apart from a little lighting and TV/music, it is required for nothing more, as I use gas for everything else! I think my plumbing will be the next thing, as I still have lead piping!!!! Costly I think, Cheers Nicola

Sharonwre Nov 1st 2016 5:23 pm

Hi, my husband and I have purchased a house just outside of Martos. We moved in just over 3 months ago and are settling down nicely. It would be good to meet others living in Martos, please send me a message if you fancy meeting up for a coffee or something stronger!

Rosemary Nov 1st 2016 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Sharonwre (Post 12092970)
Hi, my husband and I have purchased a house just outside of Martos. We moved in just over 3 months ago and are settling down nicely. It would be good to meet others living in Martos, please send me a message if you fancy meeting up for a coffee or something stronger!

Rosemary

Dawn Jones48 Nov 3rd 2016 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by the_london_family (Post 9710684)
Hi, we're moving to martos soon and were wondering if anybody could give us any general advice. On the area, living there, shopping, people? All information would be hugely appreciated! :):)

Hi I've been looking online at houses and am hoping to visit to view some. May I ask if you have bought a house? If so, what are your recommendations???
Thanks Dawn

Rosemary Nov 3rd 2016 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Dawn Jones48 (Post 12095148)
Hi I've been looking online at houses and am hoping to visit to view some. May I ask if you have bought a house? If so, what are your recommendations???
Thanks Dawn

Rosemary

Dawn Jones48 Nov 6th 2016 1:06 pm

Hi Sharon sorry to message you directly but my Husband and I are looking at houses
Online and trying to arrange hols to come and view at the end of the onth. May I ask how you found the move and if you have any recommendations on do's and don't's of house buying in martos? Any advice welcomed thanks Dawn

Sharonwre Nov 6th 2016 5:37 pm

Hi Dawn

We love Martos and we have only had a positive experience. The dos are really to make sure you do your research on the area considering things that are important to you just as you would anywhere. Use an estate agent and lawyer that you trust and have references. Don't rush in with your heart, take it slow and negotiate! Let me know when you are here and we would be happy to meet up with and your husband to talk about the highs and lows of our move! I wouldn't change it!

Rosemary Nov 10th 2016 6:24 am

Originally Posted by Sharonwre (Post 12097257)
Hi Dawn

We love Martos and we have only had a positive experience. The dos are really to make sure you do your research on the area considering things that are important to you just as you would anywhere. Use an estate agent and lawyer that you trust and have references. Don't rush in with your heart, take it slow and negotiate! Let me know when you are here and we would be happy to meet up with and your husband to talk about the highs and lows of our move! I wouldn't change it!

Rosemary

Sam1993 Nov 10th 2016 9:35 am

Hi!

My partner and I are moving in February to Martos! We are renting a townhouse from a friend.

We visited in September and can't wait to move!

Does anyone know the process of applying for an NIE in the U.K.? It's so overwhelming trying to get this all sorted!

We're a young couple in our early 20's, would love to meet people from on here when we move!

Rosemary Nov 10th 2016 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Sam1993 (Post 12101030)
Hi!

My partner and I are moving in February to Martos! We are renting a townhouse from a friend.

We visited in September and can't wait to move!

Does anyone know the process of applying for an NIE in the U.K.? It's so overwhelming trying to get this all sorted!

We're a young couple in our early 20's, would love to meet people from on here when we move!

Unless it is essential for you to gain your NIE before your move I believe that you would be better off waiting until you live here as it is quite straightforward.

Rosemary

unhappymartos Nov 21st 2016 6:20 pm

i cant name and shame but...

Mark604 Nov 21st 2016 6:56 pm

"Reason: Joining BE in order to name and shame is not allowed."

If I have had bad service from a company and wish to draw it to the attention of others who have an interest by, in this case, being in the same area and often seeking knowledge and advice, what is the acceptable way to do it? That is if I've never posted before on the forum.
I did by the way see the previous post before it was moderated.

unhappymartos Nov 21st 2016 7:16 pm

this was my pension i sunk into this... i think it is very important to raise this matter as a concern for others investing in this area and that company! even if my post gets taken off again and im barred!

Maur-Ross Nov 22nd 2016 4:23 pm

So so sorry for you, especially as this company has been named and praised on the forum on many ocassions. So it is vital to see the other side

wicklowjack Dec 5th 2016 10:54 am

hello it looks like i will be moving to martos in a short time things have changed at home. looking at ways to move cheaper. drive a van or rent a driver with a van. anybody got any advice. i love martos and cant wait to live there full time. just one point of advice keep your pension details to your self and exercise good scene as you would at home. martos is in Spain and Spain is in the eu. but you cant guarantee that the law will be on your side or will work the same . there are ways of hiding your income if you need. just be careful we are strangers in a strange land

HappyCouple Dec 11th 2016 7:54 pm

Hi Guys

Sorry havnt been on in so long. So busy getting the house done up:) Hope everyone is well. Do any of you know how much the water bill is for filling a plunge pool if anyone has one? We are thinking of having one installed but ive read horror stories about 200-300euro water bills, however these were not people from Martos so im hoping someone closer to home knows!? And i think these people may have been talking about swimming pools...

Mark604 Dec 12th 2016 4:24 am

We have a larger full size pool and it costs us about 100 euro to fill it. We live about ten minutes away from Martos.

Dawn Jones48 Dec 12th 2016 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Mark604 (Post 12127108)
We have a larger full size pool and it costs us about 100 euro to fill it. We live about ten minutes away from Martos.

Apologies question is nothing to do with a pool please can you advise what life is like in Martos? Looking at doing a move there and buying a house....Thanks Dawn

Dawn Jones48 Dec 12th 2016 7:45 am

Originally Posted by unhappymartos (Post 12110790)
this was my pension i sunk into this... i think it is very important to raise this matter as a concern for others investing in this area and that company! even if my post gets taken off again and im barred!

It wasn't a estate agents was it? We are looking to buy and want to be cautious. Thanks Dawn