dodgy

Old Mar 10th 2007, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

cajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud of
Default dodgy

i advertised my house here in Uk to rent, and recieved an email from a guy that was interested, i mailed him back and told him it was still available and gave him my number to contact us. I received a right dodgy email from him today, saying he is in france and is gonna rent it from me without seeing it, and how much does he have to pay upfront, and that he isnt gonna see us or speak to us or even see the property, just take it. Also can he bring is little puppy with him lol
it is worded very strangely and he has made some very odd comments in it so it is definately one of them scams that go on. Very annoying, these people are rather irritating, but i'm assuming that people must take them as genuine or they wouldnt bother trying would they.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 4:17 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dodgy

Originally Posted by cajam31
i advertised my house here in Uk to rent, and recieved an email from a guy that was interested, i mailed him back and told him it was still available and gave him my number to contact us. I received a right dodgy email from him today, saying he is in france and is gonna rent it from me without seeing it, and how much does he have to pay upfront, and that he isnt gonna see us or speak to us or even see the property, just take it. Also can he bring is little puppy with him lol
it is worded very strangely and he has made some very odd comments in it so it is definately one of them scams that go on. Very annoying, these people are rather irritating, but i'm assuming that people must take them as genuine or they wouldnt bother trying would they.
Certainly sounds dodgy to me

Last edited by Lionda; Mar 10th 2007 at 4:23 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

Dunno - if it feels dodgy, it probably is.

However, another point of view.

When I got offered a job in London I didn't have time to go down and view different flats. I found one on the net and researched the area and asked for pictures.l Everything looked okay so I agreed to take it.

If people are on a tight schedule then needs must. He may not have a choice in the matter.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

But he's got a little puppy!!! how can you doubt him?
Old Mar 10th 2007, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

cajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by leighbloke
But he's got a little puppy!!! how can you doubt him?

I reckon the next mail is gonna say his clients have given him a cheque, (he said they would be paying the rent) but it is much more than he would be owing to us, and can we give him the difference back.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 5:11 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon the next mail is gonna say his clients have given him a cheque, (he said they would be paying the rent) but it is much more than he would be owing to us, and can we give him the difference back.
Together with all your bank details
Old Mar 10th 2007, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

I had someone with very similar story wanting to buy a friends house I had advertised, did not want to see it but give him the bank details etc. I think not, never heard from him/her again

pwwm
Old Mar 10th 2007, 6:35 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
Together with all your bank details
They dont even need them, they give you a dodgy cheque for say 1000euros too much and ask you to give them the cashback, then you find out the cheque is rubber.
But stupidly a lot of people have been caught by it.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 7:06 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
They dont even need them, they give you a dodgy cheque for say 1000euros too much and ask you to give them the cashback, then you find out the cheque is rubber.
But stupidly a lot of people have been caught by it.
I agree it is probably dodgy, but I have rented a house in the past without seeing it. Had to relocate for work, got some accommodation sorted out but it fell through at the last minute. So I just rang up an ad in a paper and agreed to rent without even seeing any photos. Not ideal, but I didn´t have much option at the time.

So you never know!!!!
Old Mar 10th 2007, 8:28 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keithwalters
I agree it is probably dodgy, but I have rented a house in the past without seeing it. Had to relocate for work, got some accommodation sorted out but it fell through at the last minute. So I just rang up an ad in a paper and agreed to rent without even seeing any photos. Not ideal, but I didn´t have much option at the time.

So you never know!!!!
I agree with keith on this i have done the same . If you know the area and your only renting , will just go for it ...Its not as if buying the place is it .. Worst case you move out again.. so perfectly safe i reckon ..
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

maryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond repute

defiantly dodgy, the same thing happens when you advertise your car for sale, they send you the cheque for a certain amount too much and ask for the rest to be returned in cash, cheque bounces you have lost money and no one rents your house.
Go through an agent, if you cut corners you pay for it somewhere.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

I rent out my property in the UK and would never let to somebody I hadn´t met and had references from. I have been doing this for 15 years and have never had a problem with tenants.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 7:35 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

I wouldn't neccessarily turn him down, but check out those references. A friend in France got a lengthy let for her gite from an American off the Internet. Arrived on a bicycle with his guitar I believe, then organised a van to bring his belongings from Malaga. Heard from her two weeks ago and no he isn't an axe murderer, but decidedly eccentric!!
Old Mar 11th 2007, 7:42 pm
Popping in for a chat

Originally Posted by poollounger
I wouldn't neccessarily turn him down, but check out those references. A friend in France got a lengthy let for her gite from an American off the Internet. Arrived on a bicycle with his guitar I believe, then organised a van to bring his belongings from Malaga. Heard from her two weeks ago and no he isn't an axe murderer, but decidedly eccentric!!

Thinking about this again - we have let out properties to people we have met and spoken to and even had 'references' from - and regretted it terribly!!!!!
Old Mar 12th 2007, 12:36 am
Livin' in Spain at last!

chrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: dodgy

Hi all,
You really seem to think something is not right with "puppy man" don't you? I think I would be wary too. Is he from the UK going via France or does he live in France? Would it be possible to get his permanent address and phone number and check with international directory enquiries? I know in the UK you can go to the Post Office website and put in either the address to bring you up the postcode, or vice versa. You may at least be able to satisfiy youself he is who he says he is.
Failing that, get DNA samples from both him and the puppy and send them to Interpol!
Hope you manage to sort it cajam31. Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.