Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Doctors/treatment long term

Doctors/treatment long term

Old Nov 25th 2006, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Doctors/treatment long term

HI,
Do you think the doctors are good in Spain?

My friend pays about 40 euros to see an english doctor and she says he is great and things are done quick. ( a lot quicker than the uk)

I am on medication for the rest of my life and at the moment my doctors are trying to find the right strength for me. Which could possible take up to 6 months. the thing is i am moving out in Jan 07, and i will have to find a doctor as i will need a blood test at the end of Jan, and then have my tablets altered.

Do you think they will be as helpful over in Spain or will they have to go through all the tests again.

I can get my doctor to write a letter about the care i have had before hand.

All advice will be appreciated, i am a little worried about this.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 6:37 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doctors/treatment long term

Originally Posted by Miss Naughty
HI,
Do you think the doctors are good in Spain?

My friend pays about 40 euros to see an english doctor and she says he is great and things are done quick. ( a lot quicker than the uk)

I am on medication for the rest of my life and at the moment my doctors are trying to find the right strength for me. Which could possible take up to 6 months. the thing is i am moving out in Jan 07, and i will have to find a doctor as i will need a blood test at the end of Jan, and then have my tablets altered.

Do you think they will be as helpful over in Spain or will they have to go through all the tests again.

I can get my doctor to write a letter about the care i have had before hand.

All advice will be appreciated, i am a little worried about this.
You should ask your Dr for a resume of your medical history to bring out with you, usually costs about £10 per set, but you need to do it for all the family. No you shouldn't have any problems, we have found the Drs here very good. My wife is on medication she has to take every day and she has had no problem. When she first went to our Dr they did wnat to repeat the tests, basically so they had background levels. The difference here is that you get the results sent to you, and then you take them along to the Dr who puts them on the computer and then hands the results back to you. Helpful if you have to change Drs as you can just take the results along with you.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
You should ask your Dr for a resume of your medical history to bring out with you, usually costs about £10 per set, but you need to do it for all the family. No you shouldn't have any problems, we have found the Drs here very good. My wife is on medication she has to take every day and she has had no problem. When she first went to our Dr they did wnat to repeat the tests, basically so they had background levels. The difference here is that you get the results sent to you, and then you take them along to the Dr who puts them on the computer and then hands the results back to you. Helpful if you have to change Drs as you can just take the results along with you.
Hi,
Thanks for your help
Old Nov 26th 2006, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Hi,
Thanks for your help
Despite the bad press (that the Spanish Health system is in as bad a state as the UK's), My experience has been the opposite, treatment has been quick and the hospital was clean and efficient. The biggest problem tends to be the language barrier. So finding an english speaking Dr, May be your biggest challenge.
Secondly you dont mention how you intend to cover for your medical expenses when living in Spain, there are various options open to you depending on your circumstances.
IE
F121 as a pensioner ( I say not looking at your Photo)
E106 First two years covered under Spanish Social system(Must get forms before leaving England if you qualify)
Contribute to the Spanish System by registered as Autonomo (self employed status)
Private Medical Insurance
Pay as you GO.

There is much discussion about the EHIC card which has just come into force, and in some areas of Spain, this will suffice, In Valencia region for example it appears you can just register for treatment, however where I live in Murcia you need to have a qualifier as above!!??
Old Nov 26th 2006, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Solarwhizz
Despite the bad press (that the Spanish Health system is in as bad a state as the UK's), My experience has been the opposite, treatment has been quick and the hospital was clean and efficient. The biggest problem tends to be the language barrier. So finding an english speaking Dr, May be your biggest challenge.
Secondly you dont mention how you intend to cover for your medical expenses when living in Spain, there are various options open to you depending on your circumstances.
IE
E106 First two years covered under Spanish Social system(Must get forms before leaving England if you qualify)
Contribute to the Spanish System by registered as Autonomo (self employed status)
Pay as you GO.

There is much discussion about the EHIC card which has just come into force, and in some areas of Spain, this will suffice, In Valencia region for example it appears you can just register for treatment, however where I live in Murcia you need to have a qualifier as above!!??
Hi,
I have heard all good with the doctors in Spain, which is a bonus.
We will be paying as you go for the first year, after then we will register.

Hi i have not heard of the E106 form, is that similar to the E111.
I know people who take there E111 for emergency's until they register.
How does the E106 work
Thanks
Old Nov 26th 2006, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Hi,
I have heard all good with the doctors in Spain, which is a bonus.
We will be paying as you go for the first year, after then we will register.

Hi i have not heard of the E106 form, is that similar to the E111.
I know people who take there E111 for emergency's until they register.
How does the E106 work
Thanks
I think Fred James, wrote about it in detail earlier this year,

But essentially, if you or your family, have been employed in the UK and paying contributions prior to application you are entitled to treatment up to two years in any other EU country, You need to apply for the form from Newcastle before you go then when you come to Spain register it with the Local social security office. Then go register with a DR.

All the info you need is here

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/international/sa29/medical_06.asp
Old Nov 26th 2006, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

I think Fred James, wrote about it in detail earlier this year,

But essentially, if you or your family, have been employed in the UK and paying contributions prior to application you are entitled to treatment up to two years in any other EU country, You need to apply for the form from Newcastle before you go then when you come to Spain register it with the Local social security office. Then go register with a DR.

All the info you need is here

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/international/sa29/medical_06.asp
Thank you for all your help, i will have a look at that.

Old Nov 26th 2006, 12:47 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Despite the bad press (that the Spanish Health system is in as bad a state as the UK's),
What is this about bad press? I have always heard that the Spanish health system is much better than the UK, although they tend to fall down a bit on after care (as typically the family would be heavily involved in this).

What have you heard?
Old Nov 26th 2006, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thumbs up Re: Doctors/treatment long term

Originally Posted by keithwalters
What is this about bad press? I have always heard that the Spanish health system is much better than the UK, although they tend to fall down a bit on after care (as typically the family would be heavily involved in this).

What have you heard?
There was an article in one of the English Costa Newspapers( I think it was RTN), saying that the Spanish Health system was seriously underfunded, and that the influx of Expats and other immigrants were causing overloads on the system and queques for hospital beds etc. The article was comparing to the UK system and referring to similar causes and status of health care.

But as I said above, I have no seen no evidence of this (to the contrary actually) and have found the system to be quick, efficient and with excellent service.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 5:51 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

IE
Pay as you GO.

The clinic where we go to in Cabo Roig has just had a major shake up with some Drs leaving and others starting. Seems at least a couple of Russian Drs have now started, and ALL the reception staff now speak good English, those that didn't are no longer there. As far as I know all the Drs speak English as well. And all this just after I had got asking for an appointment in Spanish down to a fine art Still, in an area where of the 345 kids in the local school, 300 are Ex pats, German and English mainly, it would seem to make sense that they had some language skills in another language. Lots of the local shops, when advertising for assistants are asking for language skills as well.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

PaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nice

IE
Pay as you GO.

Hi Solarwhizz,

What part of Murcia are you in we are in the Ricote valley, we are moving out end of January. Just wondering if you are self-employed as i will be working on that basis after winding up my company here. I have heard that the compulsary NI or equivalent monthly contributions are quite high even at the bottom of the scale, i think someone mentioned 200 euros plus compared to the compulsary couple of pounds here, do you know if there is an earnings related contribution as in the UK as well at the end of the tax year with your tax payment. Also when over recently my wife had some treatment in the local Hospital Urgencias dept, they entered her health card and NIE details and that was it, they did'nt ask how long we had been in the county etc, could have been 5 years as cards dont expire till 2011, how do they know when the 2 years is up?. I know that registering with a Doctor is different and i'll contact Newcastle for 106 forms.

Regards Paul
Old Nov 27th 2006, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

PaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nice

IE
Pay as you GO.

Hi to all,

I have just called newcastle contributions (medical) regarding the E106, this form is based on your last 3 years contributions and cannot be applied for prior to 4 weeks before leaving the UK. A decision based on contributions is given sraight away, and if qualification is granted, the certificates issued 2-3 days later. E106 only issued if you are moving abroad and do not have a job to go to, and are actively seeking employement.
The Number for contact is 01912181999

Regards,

Paul
Old Nov 27th 2006, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Both my partner and I have obtained E106 forms and at no time were we asked whether we will be actively seeking employment when we have moved to Spain.