Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do you think the Spanish contempt for British people is unfair?

Wikiposts

Do you think the Spanish contempt for British people is unfair?

Old Aug 26th 2009, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you think the Spanish contempt for British people is unfair?

Originally Posted by lynnxa

it's as much the attitude of the Brits or other extranjeros towards the spanish as their attitude towards us
I second that - A lot of Brits approach the Spanish with fear and trepidation (and even contempt) becuase they dont speak English and because things arent the same here is in Britain. ie. the Brits are out of their comfort zone

Once you except that Spain is Spain and go with the flow, it is a wonderful country to live in. Spanish people arent particular nice towards strangers or tourists though, you have to get to know them a bit first then they are incredibly generous
Old Aug 26th 2009, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CBANDY
... The majority of crime in certain areas of Spain is commited by imigrants.
But isn't an "immigrant" what an ex-pat from one country calls an ex-pat from any other country?
Unless you were born there, everyone who lives in Spain is an immigrant.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 10:37 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pete_l
But isn't an "immigrant" what an ex-pat from one country calls an ex-pat from any other country?
Exactly what I meant. In a lot of areas most of the crime is from non spaniards.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely, British people who live in Spain are immigrants. They arent "expats" at all. That term implies they have been sent to look after the colonies
Old Aug 26th 2009, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by COF
The contempt also seems to extend to people who are residing in Spain, the Mugabe-style "land grab" thing (rustic land ZOMG) seems to be aimed very much at the British, it seems if a block of apartments, or a house with predominantly Spanish people was built on rustic land, it is very likely it would be left. .
Not true.

If you only watch British TV, you will only hear about the British who have come unstuck here.

If you only watch Spanish TV, you only hear about the Spaniards who have come unstuck.

I don't get SKY TV so I remain blissfully ignorant about the plights of the British, but I often see TV reports about Spaniards who have bought into illegal blocks of flats, etc.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cricketman
Absolutely, British people who live in Spain are immigrants. They arent "expats" at all. That term implies they have been sent to look after the colonies
I wonder what number of Brits here in Spain would actually think to call themselves "immigrants"?
Old Aug 26th 2009, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sharon B
I wonder what number of Brits here in Spain would actually think to call themselves "immigrants"?
good point. I reckon yes the "expat" thing does seem to have undertones of colonialism and going to live with "johnny foreigner" (!), and immigrant seems to fit the british in spain as we will always be foreigners and guests, no matter if we are made welcome or not, , however arent we all supposed to be European???!

based on some of the red tape we have experienced so far, we truly are not europeans, each member state has different stuff to sort out and different ruels etc, doesnt seem fair. (for example, eastern europeans coming to england and getting handed benefits from day one even though they havent paid a penny in contributions, and get more on benefits than they ever would working in their own country.......

......meanwhile amanda and i have to give up our tax credit and child benefit, and have to pay massive self employed contributions, even though we have paid for years on the uk??

but the spanish not liking the british?

Not so sure about that, but of a sweeping statement really. You have to admit though, some people would argue that the english have totally ruined the costa del sol, but the spanish allowed them to do so.

The spanish have encouraged lager louts to come to Spain (and that is not just english either),.......
Who is wrong?
Old Aug 26th 2009, 11:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by painterhombre
You have to admit though, some people would argue that the english have totally ruined the costa del sol
I think that is actually a middle class British point of view.

When I've discussed this topic with Spaniards, yes they lament what has happened to the CDS but they dont blame the British. After all, not everyone is British here (you can avoid them completely if you want to) and it is the local councils and local people who have sold all their land to build the horrible concrete bunkers and become very rich doing so
Old Aug 26th 2009, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

I think that is actually a middle class British point of view.

When I've discussed this topic with Spaniards, yes they lament what has happened to the CDS but they dont blame the British. After all, not everyone is British here (you can avoid them completely if you want to) and it is the local councils and local people who have sold all their land to build the horrible concrete bunkers and become very rich doing so
i said SOME PEOPLE WOULD ARGUE THAT................, i didnt say "what i think is...."

and yes its not just the british.

and yes im middle class and proud thanks!!!!

i'll just get back to reading The Times, drinking tea and raising my voice at johnny foreigner until he buckles down and learns english ........

Old Aug 26th 2009, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

I am the first to admit that I have very little Spanish, but I work in an office which mainly deals with English people and their problems of life in Spain but the Spanish people I come across in my working life (architects, Spanish lawyers, Notaries, estate agents etc) all accept me with no problem and also help me when I try and speak Spanish with them and write down words and phrases for me to try out

In our home life we have Spanish neighbours who are more than helpful with our dismal attempts to converse but no-one has ever been nasty etc.

The local Spanish restaurant we go to welcomes us with open arms, an odd free drink here and there, and hugs and kisses, even Jose the husband comes out of the kitchen for his hug!

We are very happy here and the thought that we might have to go back to England at some stage in the future feels us with dread but what the heck life is an adventure!!!!
Old Aug 26th 2009, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by painterhombre
i said SOME PEOPLE WOULD ARGUE THAT................, i didnt say "what i think is...."

and yes its not just the british.

and yes im middle class and proud thanks!!!!

i'll just get back to reading The Times, drinking tea and raising my voice at johnny foreigner until he buckles down and learns english ........

sorry no offence intended, I am middle class too! (I think )
Old Aug 26th 2009, 11:30 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I have spent much of the past 15 years in Spain, during which time I have been treated with decency and respect by the Spanish for at least 99% of the time and often with kindness and generosity way above what is the norm in the UK.
I have only spent a limited amount of time in touristy,lager loutish or little England districts, but even in those places have experienced very little resentment, although possibly a certain amount might be understandable in such places given the circumstances.
There are for sure a few areas of Spain where extranjeros receive a slightly cooler reception, but this often applies likewise to Spanish people from other areas.
I think if the first poster spent some time in a typical all Spanish area,possibly inland, and made a genuine attempt to integrate,he would very likely form an entirely different opinion.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

sorry no offence intended, I am middle class too! (I think )
its cool, dont worry, i was typing with a big smile on my face!
Old Aug 26th 2009, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I have spent much of the past 15 years in Spain, during which time I have been treated with decency and respect by the Spanish for at least 99% of the time and often with kindness and generosity way above what is the norm in the UK.
I have only spent a limited amount of time in touristy,lager loutish or little England districts, but even in those places have experienced very little resentment, although possibly a certain amount might be understandable in such places given the circumstances.
There are for sure a few areas of Spain where extranjeros receive a slightly cooler reception, but this often applies likewise to Spanish people from other areas.
I think if the first poster spent some time in a typical all Spanish area,possibly inland, and made a genuine attempt to integrate,he would very likely form an entirely different opinion.
Good post. Totally agree.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 11:33 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sharon B

Surely you are only an immigrant if you have emigrated to another country ? As we are all in the alleged union were didn`t have to emigrate. ;-))

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.