Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do you think the Spanish contempt for British people is unfair?

Do you think the Spanish contempt for British people is unfair?

Old Aug 27th 2009, 9:27 am
COF
Banned

COF is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do you think the Spanish contempt for British people is unfair?

People say the British behaviour abroad is apauling, and yes, in many cases it is, but also I think it's unfair to say its just the British, on previous visits to many of the "trouble-spots" on the Costa Del Sol, a lot of the "lager louts" appearing to be a variety of nationalities, but predominantly British, German, Dutch and Scandinavian.

Also, to say that all these holidaymakers from Northern Europe are trouble makers is making extreme stereotypes, but I guess its ok for British people to say British are scum abroad. Yet if I said Polish behave like scum abroad - I guess that would make me a racist? Double standards much?

So do Spanish, at least in the South of Spain, despise only the British, or are Scandinavians and Germans included in the equation?

The contempt also seems to extend to people who are residing in Spain, the Mugabe-style "land grab" thing (rustic land ZOMG) seems to be aimed very much at the British, it seems if a block of apartments, or a house with predominantly Spanish people was built on rustic land, it is very likely it would be left. Also, I have heard stories that if you start a business in Spain, the Spanish Tax Authorities investigates the accounts of foreign businesses (ie little bars on the Costa Del Sol) than it would bars or other similar types of businesses run by Spanish citizens. I have also heard reports that the Spanish courts treats Spanish citizens far more favorably than it treats foreign nationals.

The double standards evident pisses me off immensely, if the British government acted towards foreigners in the same way the Spanish government does, the world would be screaming racist. Yet Spain for some reason seems largely exempt from this?

I have found Spanish people themselves generally don't show any overt contempt for foreigners, but there is definitely more racism towards Northern Europeans in Spain than would be found in the UK towards Eastern Europeans or Portuguese. The Spanish don't seem to treat British (and Northern Europeans) as fellow residents, fellow countrymen, they seem to treat them as something that has to be put up with, a problem, some probably even believe (brainless Franco loving nutjobs) central government should expel them from the country.

In short, if British people treated foreigners in the say way Spanish people do, we would be considered terrible racists. Yet Spain and it's government seems to get away with it.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 9:33 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you think the Spanish contempt for British people is unfair?

Originally Posted by COF
People say the British behaviour abroad is apauling, and yes, in many cases it is, but also I think it's unfair to say its just the British, on previous visits to many of the "trouble-spots" on the Costa Del Sol, a lot of the "lager louts" appearing to be a variety of nationalities, but predominantly British, German, Dutch and Scandinavian.

Also, to say that all these holidaymakers from Northern Europe are trouble makers is making extreme stereotypes, but I guess its ok for British people to say British are scum abroad. Yet if I said Polish behave like scum abroad - I guess that would make me a racist? Double standards much?

So do Spanish, at least in the South of Spain, despise only the British, or are Scandinavians and Germans included in the equation?

The contempt also seems to extend to people who are residing in Spain, the Mugabe-style "land grab" thing (rustic land ZOMG) seems to be aimed very much at the British, it seems if a block of apartments, or a house with predominantly Spanish people was built on rustic land, it is very likely it would be left. Also, I have heard stories that if you start a business in Spain, the Spanish Tax Authorities investigates the accounts of foreign businesses (ie little bars on the Costa Del Sol) than it would bars or other similar types of businesses run by Spanish citizens. I have also heard reports that the Spanish courts treats Spanish citizens far more favorably than it treats foreign nationals.

The double standards evident pisses me off immensely, if the British government acted towards foreigners in the same way the Spanish government does, the world would be screaming racist. Yet Spain for some reason seems largely exempt from this?

I have found Spanish people themselves generally don't show any overt contempt for foreigners, but there is definitely more racism towards Northern Europeans in Spain than would be found in the UK towards Eastern Europeans or Portuguese. The Spanish don't seem to treat British (and Northern Europeans) as fellow residents, fellow countrymen, they seem to treat them as something that has to be put up with, a problem, some probably even believe (brainless Franco loving nutjobs) central government should expel them from the country.

In short, if British people treated foreigners in the say way Spanish people do, we would be considered terrible racists. Yet Spain and it's government seems to get away with it.
Bit of a trollish sweeping statement for a first post mate.
Are you even an expat ?
Old Aug 27th 2009, 9:35 am
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by COF

Welcome to the forum. Some of what you say is correct but Britain as a whole is too soft. The majority of crime in certain areas of Spain is commited by imigrants. I can understand some of the bad feeling. We have many spanish friends and all my work colleagues are spanish. The spanish still have a very closed mentality. ie. my way is the best way.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 9:37 am
COF
Banned

COF is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
Bit of a trollish sweeping statement for a first post mate.
Are you even an expat ?
Nope, not an expat. However, I know a few and this is a combination of their experience and my personal experience having visited many times and observed the goings-on in regards to foreigner relations in Spain.

Not trollish, not racist, I was hoping to inspirer real debate about how foreigners (mainly Northern European expats) are treated in Spain.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by COF

My OH is Spainish, I have lived on and off in Spain for 10 years and I dont recognise what you are talking about at all. I have been met with open arms everywhere I have been, including Barcelona, Asturias and Costa del sol.

Spanish people dont despise the British. Everything you are saying is hearsay from annoyed British expats cos their business isnt going well.

Spanish people do get tired at expats who dont understand the Spanish language, laws and customs and are bemused at the druken and hooligan behaviour they see at times, but hate - definitely not!
Old Aug 27th 2009, 9:40 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by COF
Nope, not an expat. However, I know a few and this is a combination of their experience and my personal experience having visited many times and observed the goings-on in regards to foreigner relations in Spain.

Not trollish, not racist, I was hoping to inspirer real debate about how foreigners (mainly Northern European expats) are treated in Spain.
So why make sweeping statements about the Spanish on hearsay of a few of your expat friends then ?

Perhaps you should ask your question on a Scandi expat site ?

Last edited by jdr; Aug 27th 2009 at 9:46 am.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by COF
I have found Spanish people themselves generally don't show any overt contempt for foreigners, but there is definitely more racism towards Northern Europeans in Spain than would be found in the UK towards Eastern Europeans or Portuguese.
Definitely? that probably depends on your perspective.

Also, to say that all these holidaymakers from Northern Europe are trouble makers is making extreme stereotypes
Likewise to accuse the spanish in general of racism
Old Aug 27th 2009, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachelk
Definitely? that probably depends on your perspective.

Likewise to accuse the spanish in general of racism
COF hasnt a clue what he is talking about (sorry to be so direct, but....)

Spanish people can be dorragatory about the Portuguese as they are seen as the poor little brother. Likewise they attribute Eastern Europeans with crime.

The ones they are most dorragatory towards are the indigenous Ecuadorians and Peruvians that come to settle in Spain as they see them as uneducated and uncivilised.

They cant understand why British people come to Spain but then want to live a British life rather than a Spanish life (why come to Spain then, they ask?). But they dont hate them for it, they just can't understand (neither can I to be fair).
Old Aug 27th 2009, 9:52 am
Just Joined

BUGS is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the Spanish "attitude" is towards tourists in general and includes their own counrtymen. We live about 45 mins from La Manga which is a tourist area. It was a Spanish tourist area long bef

ore the brits and other foreign nationals got there, and although they make a living trom tourism they dont like tourists. We are the same when we can´t get perked in the summer and when you go to Mercadonna and have a huge queue.

We own and run a business out here in Spain and have not had any problems with the Spanish authorities looking any harder at our businees than another.

There are horror stories all over the place about land and property, but this is Spain, buyer beware, do your homework and that does not mean just going to the solisitor you have been given, ask around, go on forums, all the info is there if you want it. It is normally a large lump of money people are looking at spending so make sure YOU get it right. When you buy a car, it is HPi checked for outstanding finance and accident damage, even milage verification. Why not with a house or land??

And by the way, hello and I ahve just joined. We are as a couple Chris and Mary
Old Aug 27th 2009, 9:55 am
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Insectsaway
I think the Spanish "attitude" is towards tourists in general and includes their own counrtymen. We live about 45 mins from La Manga which is a tourist area. It was a Spanish tourist area long bef

ore the brits and other foreign nationals got there, and although they make a living trom tourism they dont like tourists. We are the same when we can´t get perked in the summer and when you go to Mercadonna and have a huge queue.

We own and run a business out here in Spain and have not had any problems with the Spanish authorities looking any harder at our businees than another.

There are horror stories all over the place about land and property, but this is Spain, buyer beware, do your homework and that does not mean just going to the solisitor you have been given, ask around, go on forums, all the info is there if you want it. It is normally a large lump of money people are looking at spending so make sure YOU get it right. When you buy a car, it is HPi checked for outstanding finance and accident damage, even milage verification. Why not with a house or land??

And by the way, hello and I ahve just joined. We are as a couple Chris and Mary
And you live just round the corner from where I work. Lol.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 10:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by CBANDY
And you live just round the corner from where I work. Lol.
Hi and pleased to meet you. Why have you got such a jaded view about the Spanish? I must admit there are some things that drive me mad like their driving but they are not generally too bad
Old Aug 27th 2009, 10:08 am
Family man

Originally Posted by Insectsaway
Hi and pleased to meet you. Why have you got such a jaded view about the Spanish? I must admit there are some things that drive me mad like their driving but they are not generally too bad
Sorry mate. This is not my thread. I did not write the first post.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 10:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by CBANDY
Sorry mate. This is not my thread. I did not write the first post.
Sorry mate, should have looked more.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 10:22 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

The Spnish in general are not contemptuous of the British in general - that is way too much of a sweeping generalisation

they might look down upon the brits who come here on hols, get drunk & generally make a nuisance of themselves - but then so do a lot of the brits who live here

they might look down upon the brits who come to live here & make no attempt to learn the language or the ways of the country - but then so do a lot of the brits who live here, learn the language and the ways of the country

there might be a bit of bad feeling among the unemployed spanish towards the brits or other foreigners who are employed - you can sort of understand that

we moved onto a small urb at the beginning of the school hols - most of the apartments are owned by spanish families who come here for holidays

my 2 girls (and us) have been welcomed with open arms - they are fluent in spanish & we live a spanish lifestyle

they have been welcomed to such an extent that they have been taken for days out by the spanish families, and out for dinner & into their homes
(the families know that I & my husband are working & can't take them out all the time)

it's as much the attitude of the Brits or other extranjeros towrds the spanish as their attitude towards us
Old Aug 27th 2009, 10:26 am
Family man

Originally Posted by lynnxa
The Spnish in general are not contemptuous of the British in general - that is way too much of a sweeping generalisation

they might look down upon the brits who come here on hols, get drunk & generally make a nuisance of themselves - but then so do a lot of the brits who live here

they might look down upon the brits who come to live here & make no attempt to learn the language or the ways of the country - but then so do a lot of the brits who live here, learn the language and the ways of the country

there might be a bit of bad feeling among the unemployed spanish towards the brits or other foreigners who are employed - you can sort of understand that

we moved onto a small urb at the beginning of the school hols - most of the apartments are owned by spanish families who come here for holidays

my 2 girls (and us) have been welcomed with open arms - they are fluent in spanish & we live a spanish lifestyle

they have been welcomed to such an extent that they have been taken for days out by the spanish families, and out for dinner & into their homes
(the families know that I & my husband are working & can't take them out all the time)

it's as much the attitude of the Brits or other extranjeros towrds the spanish as their attitude towards us
Good post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.