Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do you think it's authentic?

Do you think it's authentic?

Old Nov 7th 2007, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Ragomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do you think it's authentic?

I watched a bit of Eastenders last night before turning to ITV4 to watch the mighty blues (who weren't so mighty last night) and was struck by what a parody of the east end it is.

Although it wins Best Soap year in year out I find the plots, dialogue and characters laughable. So I just wondered whether people from other parts of the UK who've maybe never been to East London think it's a fair representation to show a predominantly white community all working as coster mongers, having constant run ins with the police and using rhyming slang all the time.

Mind you, Samantha Janus is still fit. Does anyone remember her in 'Game On' from the nineties?... 'Skunk Pussies and Gism Monkeys' - brilliant.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 7:17 am
Banned

tery little will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Do you think it's authentic?

Come on man it is a SOAP, there only to make money.
TERRY
Old Nov 7th 2007, 7:18 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ragomuffin
I watched a bit of Eastenders last night before turning to ITV4 to watch the mighty blues (who weren't so mighty last night) and was struck by what a parody of the east end it is.

Although it wins Best Soap year in year out I find the plots, dialogue and characters laughable. So I just wondered whether people from other parts of the UK who've maybe never been to East London think it's a fair representation to show a predominantly white community all working as coster mongers, having constant run ins with the police and using rhyming slang all the time.

Mind you, Samantha Janus is still fit. Does anyone remember her in 'Game On' from the nineties?... 'Skunk Pussies and Gism Monkeys' - brilliant.
LOL, I would say the show is almost the total opposite to the real life in the East End I knew, mind you that was a few years ago.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:09 am

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Beats Coronation Street any day....and I come from Corrie land!!

The best soap by far is Emmerdale
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Ragomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tery little
Come on man it is a SOAP, there only to make money.
TERRY
Thing is Terry, you know it's a soap and I know it's a soap but the programme makers believe it's social commentary. How many times at the end of the show do they ask 'have you been effected by any of the issues on tonights episode?

The scriptwriters have probably never been further east than Esher. They might as well dress the whole cast as Pearlies singing 'Knocked 'em in the Old Kent Road'.

As for making money - it's a BBC show so it's our bloody money they're making, me old china!
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:37 am
Banned

Thing is Terry, you know it's a soap and I know it's a soap but the programme makers believe it's social commentary. How many times at the end of the show do they ask 'have you been effected by any of the issues on tonights episode?

The scriptwriters have probably never been further east than Esher. They might as well dress the whole cast as Pearlies singing 'Knocked 'em in the Old Kent Road'.

As for making money - it's a BBC show so it's our bloody money they're making, me old china!

Yes
But say you what?
TERRY
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pam Sarky
The best soap by far is Emmerdale
Yes, at least it's still got a farm in it.

The other thing I find with Eastenders is the continuity and reasearch errors.

The other week Pat was watching The Wizard of Oz with Ian's kids in darkness while Ian is outside the hospital with Steven in broad daylight.

Even in these days of relaxed penal servitude you can't go and visit someone in prison on a whim as if you were going to see your Aunt or transfer Visiting Orders whenever or to whoever you like.

As you can tell, I still watch it, but it's usually to pick holes in it much to Jan's annoyance.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 10:34 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

It, like ALL TV programmes is there to entertain you, it's not rocket science, and if you don't like it, or anyother programme for that matter, you always have the OFF button at your disposal. Yes there are continuity mistakes, and the TV watching bit could have been dark because all the curtains were closed, not because it was supposed to be dark. It's not real life or anywhere like it, if they did show real life no one would watch because it would be so boring in a small community like that. Sorry, rant over, and yes I DO watch EE.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 10:45 am
Banned

[QUOTE=mikelincs;5522972] you always have the OFF button at your disposal.

Well said there. but most people only know the on button.
TERRY
Old Nov 7th 2007, 12:26 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tery little
Yes
But say you what?
TERRY
What.

MATT
Old Nov 7th 2007, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
What.

MATT
Please dont start him off again!

SAM
Old Nov 7th 2007, 12:28 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pam Sarky
Please dont start him off again!

SAM
Why?
MATT
Old Nov 7th 2007, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

What.

MATT
I'm as much in the dark as you, which is why I ignored it.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 12:29 pm

Why?
MATT
Do you need to ask?

SAM
Old Nov 7th 2007, 12:29 pm

I'm as much in the dark as you, which is why I ignored it.
You will be in the dark with most of his posts

SAM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.