Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

do you need to file a tax return?

do you need to file a tax return?

Old Aug 11th 2018, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

gemscot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default do you need to file a tax return?

i have done some research and seen that a number of sites say the following:-

only need to file a tax return in Spain when you make more than €22,000 per year, receive a rental income of more than €1,000 and/or receive a capital gains and savings income of more than €1,600.

is this correct? - seems too easy as if you and your partner both took 22k per annum then pretty nice income with no spain tax liability
Old Aug 11th 2018, 9:13 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: do you need to file a tax return?

The 22k rule only applies if that income has already had tax deducted by the employer. If you are not in this category, the limit is much lower, depending on the actual type of income it could be as low as 12k. If you are non Spanish you would be advised to make a tax declaration even if it does not result in any tax due. This will ensure that you are considered to be tax resident with all the advantages that may have, particularly with regard to CGT and IHT.
Old Aug 12th 2018, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, this is a popular misconception not helped by many Spanish gestorias who sometimes fail to understand an Expats tax position. As Fred says best to make a declaracion and be fiscally resident. The proof can also be needed at property transaction times as well.
Old Aug 12th 2018, 8:06 am
Banned

Johncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond repute

I was told you must file an initial tax return when you first become resident even if it is clear there is no tax liability. Many never do. Perhaps some member can clarify this.
Old Aug 12th 2018, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

yES i THINK THIS IS TRUE

Yes I think this is true and is all part of the system to get into the Spanish and out of the UK system. I have friends who make an annual declaracion even though their tax liability is very very low. And with Brexit may be beneficial to be 100% by the (current) book. I have a code of NT (No tax) in the UK and declare everything here. Although for some this is not an option depends on income type and status etc.