Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do you get a deposit back on butane gas bottles?

Do you get a deposit back on butane gas bottles?

Old Aug 26th 2012, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Kenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do you get a deposit back on butane gas bottles?

When we bought our house in Spain, it came complete with 5 empty 12.5kg butane gas bottles. We've replaced two but want to get rid of three. We got the replacements from a Repsol garage just outside the village. If we took the remaining three empties there, would we get any sort of deposit back? (I'm only asking coz the house cleaned out our savings and I've turned into Scrooge McDuck, eager to save a penny at every turn.)
Old Aug 26th 2012, 12:13 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you get a deposit back on butane gas bottles?

Originally Posted by Kenwoodlad
When we bought our house in Spain, it came complete with 5 empty 12.5kg butane gas bottles. We've replaced two but want to get rid of three. We got the replacements from a Repsol garage just outside the village. If we took the remaining three empties there, would we get any sort of deposit back? (I'm only asking coz the house cleaned out our savings and I've turned into Scrooge McDuck, eager to save a penny at every turn.)
Only way to get money for them would be to sell them privately, there is no deposit, because you can only get one for the normal price by taking an empty one in.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Keep them, when you buy extra heaters you will wish you hadnt got rid.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a contract with Repsol or Cepsa, you pay the deposit for the bombonas when you first buy them, and get a receipt. I think it's about €25 but it's a a few years since I bought one. Then you can get your money back.

It's worth asking at the Repsol garage and just say you've lost the receipt!
Old Aug 26th 2012, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Kenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the responses, most useful. I'd keep the 5 bottles but they take up a lot of room and we need the space. We're hoping we won't need 5 gas heaters roaring away all winter otherwise what's the point of moving to Spain? I'll just take the bottles to the local Repsol garage and dump them when he's not looking.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 2:19 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the responses, most useful. I'd keep the 5 bottles but they take up a lot of room and we need the space. We're hoping we won't need 5 gas heaters roaring away all winter otherwise what's the point of moving to Spain? I'll just take the bottles to the local Repsol garage and dump them when he's not looking.
Maybe you should decide after you've spent your first Winter here.

Unless you're in the Canaries, everywhere on the mainland gets cold snaps, some more than others and if you're in a conventional Spanish house with solid walls you could be in for a nasty surprise.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Don't do that, ask for the deposit first!

Even if not he'll be happy to take them off your hands. No need to be furtive.

You need at least two in the winter, possibly three. They only last about a week in a gas fire when it's cold (which it often is, believe me!!) and sometimes you can't get a replacement the same day because everything is shut. If you have gas hot water too, you definitely need three.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Oh dear, that sounds ominous!! But like Little Mary Sunshine, I shall err on the side of optimism, dump the gas bottles and if I start to suffer from hypothermia, I shall don the thermal undies my granny bequeathed to me all them years ago.

So do I take it that once I have dispensed with the additional bottles, I cannot buy more? Or do I have to pay a deposit (to get back to my original question)? If so, how much?
Old Aug 26th 2012, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh dear, that sounds ominous!! But like Little Mary Sunshine, I shall err on the side of optimism, dump the gas bottles and if I start to suffer from hypothermia, I shall don the thermal undies my granny bequeathed to me all them years ago.

So do I take it that once I have dispensed with the additional bottles, I cannot buy more? Or do I have to pay a deposit (to get back to my original question)? If so, how much?
Believe me, everybody is in shock after their first winter here ... it's usually warmer outdoors than in! I live in fleeces and thermals from December through March.

You would have to pay the deposit again to buy a new bottle. No idea now, but five years ago they were €25 plus the price of the gas (€8 then, €15-ish now).
Old Aug 26th 2012, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

I bought two empty orange gas bottles at the Bar International car boot some years ago,20 euros each!!. Well worth it though. Our gas man will only swop empty for full.
I have three gas fires,one gas cooker and gas water heater,so like to have spares in reserve.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Right, best see out our first winter and then decide whether to ditch the extra bottles. Thanks for all the advice (and warnings), much appreciated.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I have 3 gas bottles, one for the cooker, one for the gas heater used in winter (we don't need more than one, thank goodness!) and one full spare one at all times. Even though Repsol delivers to the door 3 times a week in my area, it's still useful to have a spare in case one runs out on a Saturday -saves swapping bottles around to get us through until Monday. Even more essential if you have a gas water heater as it's no fun when your shower suddenly runs cold if the gas bottle has run out.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

To the original poster....... I have no idea about getting any deposit back, nor do I know where about in Spain you are ( I will google it tho)

I do know that in the 8 years I have spent in Spain I have not yet worn more than jeans and jumper indoors before I light my log burner then back to light weight clothes. I have never worn boots, socks, slippers, coat, more than 2 thin layers in doors or out. I have tiled floors with rugs scattered in necessary places. The temp outside has hit minus 5c in my area in the early morning. My house is 25yrs old not in particularly good nick doors and windows wise, all on one level and I burn on low a radiator in the big bathroom all winter thats all.

I was not shock at all, not everybody is !

I would agree keep all bottles till you have spent a winter here.

Last edited by bxpuser24710519; Aug 26th 2012 at 3:13 pm.