Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do you find the general cost of living cheaper in Spain than in the UK?

Do you find the general cost of living cheaper in Spain than in the UK?

Old Aug 15th 2011, 9:30 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you find the general cost of living cheaper in Spain than in the UK?

Not fond of rum but have tried some in caribbean. Pussers is a bit strong for me but it's very popular. I liked Mount Gay and Chairmans reserve. Still prefer it as a rum punch
Old Aug 15th 2011, 10:21 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you find the general cost of living cheaper in Spain than in the UK?

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Not fond of rum but have tried some in caribbean. Pussers is a bit strong for me but it's very popular. I liked Mount Gay and Chairmans reserve. Still prefer it as a rum punch
don't think Pussers is "stronger" but has a different taste to many other rums.

respect your preference, after all I have been known to keep red wine in the fridge and even to add an ice cube or two even in the uk (can hear the sacrilege cries already)

sampling and drinking different varieties of alcohol is part of life, tasting other tastes that sometimes prove to be far better than expected. (remember the food thread?)

rgds
Old Aug 15th 2011, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Cazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to all

We live Inland - Our IBI is 400 euro a year, rubbish 35 euro every 2 months, a beer is 1 euro, spirits are 1 euro + whatever you put in it, coke is 1.5 euro, menu del dia 6.90. Certainly a lot cheaper than the coast!!
Old Aug 15th 2011, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Cazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to all

A house that we have for sale in our village the IBI is only 2 euro a year as it is up a 5 meter long track. You really need to look about, it is surprising the difference even in the same village. It gets the same facilities as those in the village that pay 1000 euro a year, really doesn't make any sense!!
Old Aug 15th 2011, 10:39 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cazzy1
We live Inland - Our IBI is 400 euro a year, rubbish 35 euro every 2 months, a beer is 1 euro, spirits are 1 euro + whatever you put in it, coke is 1.5 euro, menu del dia 6.90. Certainly a lot cheaper than the coast!!
Well this is the point. Areas and prices vary enormously, both in Spain and the UK. Same here in London really. If I go into a pub and ask for a glass of house red, I'd expect to pay in the region of £4 - and generally not that nice either. Yet I know one or two Portuguese cafe bars where I can pay under £2 for a wine. I think overall certain things in Spain are cheaper, like local taxes, rent, diesel, public transport, wine and basic foodstuffs like rice, lentils etc. However, like anywhere, you can soon find someone who can take surplus money out of your wallet, and if you head to swanky places in cities like Marbella or Madrid, you can find the price list equivalent to other expensive cities in Europe. My big weakness is books, and I try to avoid the bookstores when I'm in Madrid now - the price tags are too much.