Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do you eat 'Spanish' food when you are in Spain?

Do you eat 'Spanish' food when you are in Spain?

Old Oct 29th 2013, 5:47 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you eat 'Spanish' food when you are in Spain?

Originally Posted by cricketman
Well yes, but it doesnt really work for us

The other thing is the eating pattern. When do you eat an English breakfast in Spain? There really is no place for it because lunch is always a very big meal

Also, in Oviedo there is a big culture of having a pincho (small bocata) mid-morning. We tend to do that at the weekend as part of the morning paseo. In the week the wife often gets some bollos de chorizo for elevenses. So often we only have a very small breakfast, a coffee and muesli or toast

There is no space for English breakfast in our timetable. In the UK there was because we lived to a very different lifestyle, especially during the winter. An English breakfast is wonderful when it is cold and miserable on a Sunday morning
You have changed your tune, in your other post you said that you didn´t have the eggs benedict because you could not get muffins.

Now it appears that you don´t have a window of time for an English breakfast.

I don´t need to be told the eating timetable in Asturias, it is the same as Galicia.

But when we are there we don´t feel the need to stick ridgedly to the "timetable".

I think I am confused and this is possibly the "Plastic Spanish" thread.

Because the following quote, is the pinnacle of "plastic Spanishness"

There is no space for English breakfast in our timetable.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 6:06 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

No space for an English brekky but he can post on here for hours.

Couldn't eat eggs benedict to save my life Only eat eggs scrambled or as an omelette.

Quite like churros but without the chocolate. Some Spanish I know eat some really sweet pastries for breakfast.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 6:11 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
No space for an English brekky but he can post on here for hours.

Couldn't eat eggs benedict to save my life Only eat eggs scrambled or as an omelette.

Quite like churros but without the chocolate. Some Spanish I know eat some really sweet pastries for breakfast.

Nothing like being the captain of your own ship is there?

I like to decide my timetable, not just go along with others, because we must have the bocadillo at 11, etc or because the rest of the sheeple in the pueblo do it.

I think the dog should wag the tail and not the tail wag the dog.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Seville type oranges are easily available and grow over many drier areas of Spain and other Med countries.

They are not the preserve (excuse pun) of Seville or Spain as a whole and I would defy anyone to tell the difference between marmalades made from similar oranges from other areas and countries, though wether English marmalade labelled oranges from Seville has any particular snob appeal or is necessary to comply with the description of goods act I know not and care not.

We have part of an excellent large batch we made here near Valencia 8 or 9 years back and still haven't got through it all yet.
Lucky you. I guess bitter oranges are the same anywhere, just that the English seem to call them "Seville", though doubtless they're from Valencia.
We did pass one April through villages south of the Sierra de Gredos with orange trees & fruit lining the streets. We picked several kilos to make marmalade when nobody was looking.
I have to keep ringing Leclerc in St Jean de Luz late December onwards to when they have them on the shelves to buy.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 6:13 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by retired in euzkadi
Lucky you. I guess bitter oranges are the same anywhere, just that the English seem to call them "Seville", though doubtless they're from Valencia.
We did pass one April through villages south of the Sierra de Gredos with orange trees & fruit lining the streets. We picked several kilos to make marmalade when nobody was looking.
I have to keep ringing Leclerc in St Jean de Luz late December onwards to when they have them on the shelves to buy.
Isn´t he the one who knows where the painting of the Madonna with the Big Boobies is hidden?

Old Oct 29th 2013, 6:19 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Loads of Sevilla type oranges in the streets on the CDS. I had 3 trees in the garden and used to make marmalade. Really miss it. I used to give away loads of jars and still had enough for the year. It was really dark, made some with peel in and some without. In most places the oranges are left to rot.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

We see plenty of bitter oranges on sale in the markets and fruterias here. Ayuntamiento workers come round every year and remove the oranges from the trees in the streets, then gather them all up for throwing away. It seems a waste but people have said they aren't safe to eat because the trees are sprayed with pesticides. I've seen them removing the oranges in Sevilla, too.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 6:40 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I've seen them removing the oranges in Sevilla, too.
That's right. Look at the link I posted earlier

http://www.sevilla.org/ayuntamiento/...ranja-amarga-1

They have an annual "cull" of the ripe oranges which I understand all go to the marmalade factories in the UK.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 6:52 pm
Banned

crookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond repute

I don't live to eat, I prefer quality to quantity, I actually like to place what I wish to eat on my plate. Tapas really suits me, as does a 6 ounce very dark rib-eye steak with new potatoes and salad. As for English breakfast, mine would be two rashers of dry cured bacon, a new laid egg and tomatoes. I've always been the same about huge portions of food, there was a very good fish and chip shop near my office that did a small fish and chips, plenty for me.

I has a small lamb shank with mediterranean vegetables and saute potatoes for Sunday lunch, it was very nice, as both I and Molly the dog can confirm. We will be in Spain in a few weeks, that is me and the wife, and a shared sea food platter will be on the agenda, as will whitebait and those lovely suckling pig chops, but we will probably share each portion, well at least we agree about something.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
That's right. Look at the link I posted earlier

http://www.sevilla.org/ayuntamiento/...ranja-amarga-1

They have an annual "cull" of the ripe oranges which I understand all go to the marmalade factories in the UK.
That's good, I hope ours are used for that purpose too, much better than throwing away perfectly usable fruit.

I'm afraid making marmalade comes within the "life's too short" category for me, but I hardly ever eat it and one jar would probably last me a year.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 6:58 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I'm afraid making marmalade comes within the "life's too short" category for me, but I hardly ever eat it and one jar would probably last me a year.
If anyone wants to try it, I have a superb recipe (based on a Delia original) for real old fashioned English marmalade - the Coopers Oxford sort.

It's easy to make. If anyone wants it PM me.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 4:33 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
It isn´t a crap restaurant, it is a very good local venta but they tend to stick to the same things. The Spanish love it as do we as for the nice seafood place right on the beach if it is the one I am thinking of it is far from nice with a lot of frozen fish and high prices and not that good service. No I would rather stick with the local venta then that. My gripe is the lack of variety not the quality. The Chinese restaurants are the "wok" variety large warehouses with little or no ambience, no Indian but we do have a good small Thai restaurant. Oh and the other moan whilst I am at it is when they serve white, floppy undercooked patata fritas.
Still no Indian in the Chic area? That's a shame, I thought I remembered one opening up in Atlantera for a while a few years back. There was a Chinese in Conil back in the day - mediocre, but when there was nothing else around.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 8:05 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Still no Indian in the Chic area? That's a shame, I thought I remembered one opening up in Atlantera for a while a few years back. There was a Chinese in Conil back in the day - mediocre, but when there was nothing else around.
When it comes to embracing international cuisine most of the Spanish especially the older generation are still living way back in the dark ages.

Out here in the sticks the mere mention of foreign food is viewed with the greatest suspicion.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 8:25 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

When it comes to embracing international cuisine most of the Spanish especially the older generation are still living way back in the dark ages.

Out here in the sticks the mere mention of foreign food is viewed with the greatest suspicion.
Here they have taken to pizzas - not much else.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Our Spanish friends have made friends with people from all over the EU (mainly Brits), have travelled to UK to stay with these friends many times, so fairly well travelled etc. However if I mention going down the coast for an Indian or a Chinese, they pull a face that clearly tells me they won't be joining us, we'll be on our own! Nothing against Spanish food, that's pretty much all we eat when there, but I'd much prefer a decent Chinese than some of their boring bloody migas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.