Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

DO THE SPANISH REALY LIKE US

DO THE SPANISH REALY LIKE US

Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:49 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DO THE SPANISH REALY LIKE US

Kettle and pot comes to mind here a bit.
But then you must be from the posh part of Islington by your attitude.

Originally Posted by nopo
Daniel,

I think you're very narrow-minded, but you probably don't know better. I think you should spend some time in the UK before you can talk (or in other parts of Spain, for that matter, where gypsies are educated and perfectly integrated in the community). The Brits that go to Costa del Sol don't represent the majority of the Brits. We're (generally) talking about illiterate people with humble backgrounds, judgemental and very narrow-minded themselves. We're not talking sophistication here. You shouldn't put all gypsies in the same basket much like you shouldn't put all Brits in the same basket. It all comes down to education.

And by the way: El 70% de los gitanos españoles vive en Andalucía (Fuente: Unión Romaní (http://www.unionromani.org/)

"Andalucía isn't even the Spanish region with the largest number of Gypsies. "
Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:51 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
so where do you think that puts us, Mitzy
We're clearly stuffed my dear, as stereotypes rule OK!
Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:54 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I just wrote a huge long reply to nopo and then deleted it as I couldn't be arsed to argue the same old points again.

I do what I can to integrate
I bought a cheap house and like the sun .... no crime intended
I learn the language
I am the norm, not the exception from my experience
Old Jul 4th 2007, 2:25 pm
Dipsomaniac

mikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I just wrote a huge long reply to nopo and then deleted it as I couldn't be arsed to argue the same old points again.

I learn the language
Unforunately, around here most of the Brits want a little England in the sun. I am glad I have Irish ancestry to fall back on because I am embarrassed to be considered to be English. They don't integrate, or make any effort to do so, they form English ghettos and stick to English bars. As for learning the language I heard a man at the petrol station who has lived here for 32 years tell the cashier 'numbero unno please'. He is proud of the fact he can't speak a word of Spanish

A lot of Brits come here with good intentions saying they want to integrate etc etc, but when it isn't handed to them on a plate they fall back into the easy, 'let's stick with the Brits' mentality.

Integration isn't easy you have to work at it and to too many work is the wrong kind of 4 letter word.

Last edited by mikeoc; Jul 4th 2007 at 3:46 pm. Reason: missed a word out
Old Jul 4th 2007, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

nopo is on a distinguished road

Guys, maybe you're right. It may be that I'm actually wrong... It may well be that most of the Brits living in Spain do try to integrate and learn the language. It would be interesting to have a Spanish-speaking journalist interviewing all nationalities living in Spain to see where the Brits score on a language level and geographically speaking, where foreigners are more integrated.

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy

I learn the language
Old Jul 4th 2007, 2:46 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

OK, Nopo and Daniel, you guys are just amazing, a real credit to the Spanish school system, your grasp of not only the English language but also its nuances and idiosyncrasies absolutely astonishes me!

Now if only Glad 2 be back could read some of your posts she would realise how good Spain can be!!
Old Jul 4th 2007, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

nopo is on a distinguished road

As for learning the language I heard a man at the petrol station who has lived here for 32 years tell the cashier 'numbero unno please'. He is proud of the fact he can't speak a word of Spanish

I'm so used to this that when I meet a Brit who speaks Spanish (as opposed to saying they speak Spanish), I feel really touched and proud to be from a country and a culture that people make the effort to learn about. I mean, don't you Brits ever feel that? I know you're used to it and it must be different but I certainly find it flattering and touching.

A lot of Brits come here good intentions saying they want to integrate etc etc, but when it isn't handed to them on a plate they fall back into the easy, 'let's stick with the Brits' mentality.

I have to agree with this.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

Guys, maybe you're right. It may be that I'm actually wrong... It may well be that most of the Brits living in Spain do try to integrate and learn the language. It would be interesting to have a Spanish-speaking journalist interviewing all nationalities living in Spain to see where the Brits score on a language level and geographically speaking, where foreigners are more integrated.
I think it just depends on the people. My sister in laws parents moved to Spain and after four years, can't string a sentence together.

Could it be the English not integrating and learning the language make a more lasting impression than the ones that do?
Old Jul 4th 2007, 2:54 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

As for learning the language I heard a man at the petrol station who has lived here for 32 years tell the cashier 'numbero unno please'. He is proud of the fact he can't speak a word of Spanish

I'm so used to this that when I meet a Brit who speaks Spanish (as opposed to saying they speak Spanish), I feel really touched and proud to be from a country and a culture that people make the effort to learn about. I mean, don't you Brits ever feel that? I know you're used to it and it must be different but I certainly find it flattering and touching.

A lot of Brits come here good intentions saying they want to integrate etc etc, but when it isn't handed to them on a plate they fall back into the easy, 'let's stick with the Brits' mentality.

I have to agree with this.
does uno have 2 "n's"?
Old Jul 4th 2007, 3:03 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Well I am impressed by some spanish joining in with the debate and their use of English is so good you cannot tell them from anyone from the UK
Old Jul 4th 2007, 3:10 pm
Straw Man.

I think that we will have silence for a bit, you know, until they think we have forgotten that a Spaniard spelled "uno" wrong.

I can see why they would, so many letters in the word.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 3:14 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Are you showing your real colours here.....
Old Jul 4th 2007, 3:25 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I think that we will have silence for a bit, you know, until they think we have forgotten that a Spaniard spelled "uno" wrong.

I can see why they would, so many letters in the word.

Maybe he is just pretending to be Spanish.. His English is certainly better than his Spanish..
Old Jul 4th 2007, 3:26 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by anabella
Maybe he is just pretending to be Spanish.. His English is certainly better than his Spanish..
now why would anyone do that eh??
Old Jul 4th 2007, 3:31 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
now why would anyone do that eh??

I don't know but you've never commented on how good my Spanish is .. MAybe my posts are too short and sweet ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.