Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do the Spanish Hate the British.

Do the Spanish Hate the British.

Old Mar 19th 2009, 6:28 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do the Spanish Hate the British.

Originally Posted by CBANDY
Hey Lin!!!!!!!! Hows it going? Long time no see.
Hi - I'm around....when I can get a connection that is I've sent you a pm
Old Mar 19th 2009, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by livit
When you apply for a job with the Policia National you have to complete an application form, on that application form you list your qualifications etc etc as in any post in the world.

Whilst entry into the Policia dosn`t require a degree level education, you as an immigrant would be required to provide evidence to support your application.

If you have not shown you have a high enough level of Spanish to be capable of becoming a Policia you won`t get an interview.

The Policia do carry guns and are expected to act in situations of high stress and confusion, you have to show that you can communicate in situation`s most people never face in there lives.

As for public jobs, all are advertised in the press/media whilst there may well be 2000 advertised you may well find 2000 people are applying too each post.
I'm pretty sure immigrants are not accepted into the police at all, regardless of their level of Spanish. You have to be a Spanish National and swear your allegiance to the King and whatnot.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: In a place where Mimi Greensleeves, Dodgy Debsy and that there Lionda wont find me.
genegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Do the Spanish Hate the British.

[QUOTE=Lionda;7398673]Hi - I'm around....when I can get a connection that is I've sent you a pm[/QUOTE]

You never send me one
Old Mar 19th 2009, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
Well about the 10 years I'm not sure, but I'm fairly certain I was told that for EU people it was less
If that's true that is good news. I've notched up 7 continuous years already (previous time living here doesn't count) so maybe I could get the ball rolling already. I kind of assumed I still had another 3 years to wait so haven't been actively pursuing this.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 7:50 pm
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerezgirl
If that's true that is good news. I've notched up 7 continuous years already (previous time living here doesn't count) so maybe I could get the ball rolling already. I kind of assumed I still had another 3 years to wait so haven't been actively pursuing this.
As I said, I don't know for sure but this is what I've been lead to believe. Me, I have absolutely NO intention of doing so and I've been here 12 years and two days!!!! (Arrived on St Paddys Day so it is always easy to remember!!!!)

Go to a gestor - they should have ways of finding this out, and would be cheaper than a lawyer. Or better still, phone the Emabssy in Madrid. They'll give you an answer straight away I would have thought - although they might want to know why you are turning to the other side!!!!!
Old Mar 19th 2009, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

As I said, I don't know for sure but this is what I've been lead to believe. Me, I have absolutely NO intention of doing so and I've been here 12 years and two days!!!! (Arrived on St Paddys Day so it is always easy to remember!!!!)

Go to a gestor - they should have ways of finding this out, and would be cheaper than a lawyer. Or better still, phone the Emabssy in Madrid. They'll give you an answer straight away I would have thought - although they might want to know why you are turning to the other side!!!!!
I must admit I hadn't even contemplated going to a gestor or lawyer....I'm more of a DIY kind of girl. Google is your friend as we hear time and time again!
Old Mar 19th 2009, 8:08 pm

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit I hadn't even contemplated going to a gestor or lawyer....I'm more of a DIY kind of girl. Google is your friend as we hear time and time again!

Now you're just flirting!!!! You tease!!!!
Old Mar 19th 2009, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Now you're just flirting!!!! You tease!!!!
Who says I'm teasing?

Anyway, back on track.....

Artículo 22
1. Para la concesión de la nacionalidad por residencia se requiere que ésta haya durado diez años. Serán suficientes cinco años para los que hayan obtenido la condición de refugiado y dos años cuando se trate de nacionales de origen de países iberoamericanos, Andorra, Filipinas, Guinea Ecuatorial o Portugal o de sefardíes.
2. Bastará el tiempo de residencia de un año para:
a) El que haya nacido en territorio español.
b) El que no haya ejercitado oportunamente la facultad de optar.
c) El que haya estado sujeto legalmente a la tutela, guarda o acogimiento de un ciudadano o institución españoles durante dos años consecutivos, incluso si continuare en esta situación en el momento de la solicitud.
d) El que al tiempo de la solicitud llevare un año casado con español o española y no estuviere separado legalmente o de hecho.

In summary:
10 years for most people
5 years if you are a refugee
2 years if you are Iberoamerican, Andorran, Filipino, Guinea Equatorian (this is really testing my UK vocab!), Portuguese or something called Sefardíes.
One year if you were born here or have been married to a Spaniard for at least a year (plus a few others which I can't be bothered to mention).
Old Mar 19th 2009, 8:41 pm

Who says I'm teasing?

Anyway, back on track.....

Artículo 22
1. Para la concesión de la nacionalidad por residencia se requiere que ésta haya durado diez años. Serán suficientes cinco años para los que hayan obtenido la condición de refugiado y dos años cuando se trate de nacionales de origen de países iberoamericanos, Andorra, Filipinas, Guinea Ecuatorial o Portugal o de sefardíes.
2. Bastará el tiempo de residencia de un año para:
a) El que haya nacido en territorio español.
b) El que no haya ejercitado oportunamente la facultad de optar.
c) El que haya estado sujeto legalmente a la tutela, guarda o acogimiento de un ciudadano o institución españoles durante dos años consecutivos, incluso si continuare en esta situación en el momento de la solicitud.
d) El que al tiempo de la solicitud llevare un año casado con español o española y no estuviere separado legalmente o de hecho.

In summary:
10 years for most people
5 years if you are a refugee
2 years if you are Iberoamerican, Andorran, Filipino, Guinea Equatorian (this is really testing my UK vocab!), Portuguese or something called Sefardíes.
One year if you were born here or have been married to a Spaniard for at least a year (plus a few others which I can't be bothered to mention).
Sefardi are the Jewish Spaniards who left in the 15th century - and their language is pretty close to the Spanish of said time. They are always allowed back as special cases.

As I said - it was something I was told not concrete about. Still, wouldn't do it though!!!
Old Mar 19th 2009, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sefardi are the Jewish Spaniards who left in the 15th century - and their language is pretty close to the Spanish of said time. They are always allowed back as special cases.

As I said - it was something I was told not concrete about. Still, wouldn't do it though!!!
Thanks for clarifying that. Did you already know this or did Google help? (be honest now).
Old Mar 19th 2009, 8:59 pm

No, no. I knew it. Granted I only discovered this info about 9 years ago as part of a class I was teaching at the time, but no google - otherwise I could have given you more concrete dates and exact info as to where they went etc.... Wiki it as it is an interesting part of Spanish history
Old Mar 20th 2009, 10:16 am
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

You have to be a Spanish National and swear your allegiance to the King and whatnot.
We established that fact some pages back when the poster stated that was his intention.

Last edited by livit; Mar 20th 2009 at 10:21 am.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 10:17 am
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lionda
So you learned Spanish overnight then did you clever you Unfortunately most people take a little longer to learn a foreign language, and whilst learning the language and living amongst the people it would be a nice gesture to put important notices in English as most foreigners speak English and in this case - the poisoning of animals - I would have thought it to be the least they could do.
Not over night no.

It took a time.

But I`m thankful nobody helped me on my way, as it would have taken much longer.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 10:19 am
Banned

Originally Posted by jdr
Come on, even the Welsh have got there own S S translation.
Only in Wales though.

I`ve never been through England and noticed Welsh, Spanish,Italian etc etc
signs, they`ve always been in English.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 1:20 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livit
Only in Wales though.

I`ve never been through England and noticed Welsh, Spanish,Italian etc etc
signs, they`ve always been in English.
Click on the strange word Cymraeg HERE on the DWP site

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.