Reload this Page >

To do or not to do

To do or not to do

Old Feb 4th 2016, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

tortis is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink To do or not to do

Hi fellow members,

We are here in Valencia just 6 months, we would like to know if you could advice us what are the advantages and disadvantages of becoming a permanent resident. Any light in this matter?????
Txs,
Tortis
Old Feb 4th 2016, 1:54 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To do or not to do

You don't have a choice in the matter. If you spend more than 183 days in Spain in one calendar your, you are deemed to be fiscally resident and then you will pay tax on your worldwide income and possibly your worldwide assets.

The income tax rates in Spain are generally higher than in the UK, but there are still some benefits to being tax resident from the point of view of capital gains and inheritance tax.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

tortis is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you.
Old Feb 6th 2016, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

BigD Nerja is an unknown quantity at this point

If you don't want to be a permanent resident just don't tell them, the Spanish do not record entry or exit details so they have no way of proving how many days you spend in the country.
Old Feb 6th 2016, 9:13 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

They don't have to prove that you have been in Spain if they suspect that you are evading tax. It is up to you to prove otherwise.
Old Feb 6th 2016, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Fred a couple of things spring to mind;

If you are non resident how will the authorities ever suspect you?

It is not true that it is up to the individual to prove their status, if you are questioned regarding your status and you declare you are non resident or refuse to co-operate then it is up to the Spanish authorities to prove otherwise via the Spanish legal system.

We all know how inefficient the Spanish administration is so I really wouldn't worry about it.
Old Feb 6th 2016, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigD Nerja
Fred a couple of things spring to mind; If you are non resident how will the authorities ever suspect you? It is not true that it is up to the individual to prove their status, if you are questioned regarding your status and you declare you are non resident or refuse to co-operate then it is up to the Spanish authorities to prove otherwise via the Spanish legal system. We all know how inefficient the Spanish administration is so I really wouldn't worry about it.
Which is fine while they freeze your bank account and seize your assets until you can prove your status. Non-cooperation and lying is probably not a good strategy.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 9:32 am
Just Joined

coastal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fred James
You don't have a choice in the matter. If you spend more than 183 days in Spain in one calendar your, you are deemed to be fiscally resident and then you will pay tax on your worldwide income and possibly your worldwide assets.

The income tax rates in Spain are generally higher than in the UK, but there are still some benefits to being tax resident from the point of view of capital gains and inheritance tax.
So, if i spend 183 days in Spain, i am entitled to be a resident? And can claim benefits from the Government and be legally Spanish then?
Old Feb 7th 2016, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Coastal, I don't know much about Spanish benefits/welfare as I don't think I've ever met an expat who receives any. Anecdotally I believe the Spanish system to be less generous than the British one.

Regarding the freezing of assets, the Hacienda does indeed have the power to freeze assets in Spain however only for non payment of tax. It first has to prove that you are resident and have to submit a return and then that you have a liability. It has no power over assets in the UK.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 10:49 am
Herreño

Boseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond repute

If you are an EU national and habitually resident in Spain, you must within 90 days register at the foreigners office, or other designated place, failure to do so is an offence punishable with a fine. see link below,

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/residenc...ments-in-spain
Old Feb 7th 2016, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Coastal, I don't know much about Spanish benefits/welfare as I don't think I've ever met an expat who receives any. Anecdotally I believe the Spanish system to be less generous than the British one. Regarding the freezing of assets, the Hacienda does indeed have the power to freeze assets in Spain however only for non payment of tax. It first has to prove that you are resident and have to submit a return and then that you have a liability. It has no power over assets in the UK.
If you have lived in Spain for more than 183 days then you become a tax resident whether you like it or not. As a tax resident you have to declare your worldwide assets and income and pay Spanish tax on them - this includes declaring UK assets as well as income. If you cannot show that you have paid the tax already as provided under double taxation treaty then you are liable to tax. It is your obligation to prove this, not the Hacienda's to find out. They will 'deem' that you owe the tax and you have to show that you don't. At this stage the Spanish Hacienda can freeze bank accounts etc. So hiding your head in the sand may work in the short term as the Hacienda may be too busy to chase you up, but you are living outside of the law and one day it will bite you in the bum!
Old Feb 7th 2016, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Mike whilst I'm not disputing most of what you say my point is this, how will the Hacienda know that you have spent 183 days in Spain in one calendar year unless you tell them?
Old Feb 7th 2016, 1:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat095 is an unknown quantity at this point

Coastal, I don't know much about Spanish benefits/welfare as I don't think I've ever met an expat who receives any. Anecdotally I believe the Spanish system to be less generous than the British one.

Regarding the freezing of assets, the Hacienda does indeed have the power to freeze assets in Spain however only for non payment of tax. It first has to prove that you are resident and have to submit a return and then that you have a liability. It has no power over assets in the UK.
This is completely wrong, the max UK state pension is approx €600 a month whereas the max Spanish state pension is approx €2500 (and is paid 14 times a year) and I'm not sure but I think the onus is on an expat to prove he's not resident rather than Hacienda proving he is
Old Feb 7th 2016, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Mhf, I obviously misunderstood I thought the question was regarding state benefits such as unemployment, housing etc... I know nothing about state pensions.
Regarding the Hacienda; if we assume that you are correct and somehow they say to an individual prove you have not been in Spain for 183 days it would be simple to say that you haven't and that you travel back to the UK or any other country on a regular basis and you remain domiciled in the UK for tax purposes.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 1:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat095 is an unknown quantity at this point

I asked the same question a while ago and someone (whose opinion I really respect) stated that if you do have a dispute with Hacienda then you need to keep proof of your travels in and out of Spain i.e Boarding cards etc.

Personally speaking, it is academic for me as I've been a resident for a long time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.