Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do I move before? or after?

Do I move before? or after?

Old Mar 2nd 2018, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

Travelling writer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do I move before? or after?

There will probably be a Brexit transition period for 2 years so things will probably stay the same till about the end of 2020 at least, maybe longer. However, this is by no means certain.

Personally, I am confident a soft Brexit will take place and things will pretty much stay the same for the near future.

And even if that doesn't happen, Spain can still negotiate a special immigration deal with the UK post Brexit to allow retired Brits to continue to come out and buy properties, spend their money etc.. It may not be as good as now with free movement, however I really doubt that the Spanish government will make it too difficult for Brits to live and work / retire in Spain.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I move before? or after?

I don't doubt that you are correct in that view however issue for retirees retiring to Spain post Brexit possibly post implementation period unless wealthy will be loss of free health care. No matter how much the Spanish government may well want Brit retirees to continue buying property and retiring in their lovely country I can't see them wanting to pick up the tab for their health care. Maybe the plan is make up some of the millions Boris promised by stopping paying the health care of those not resident on ? Date.