Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do Builders charge for estimates ?

Do Builders charge for estimates ?

Old Jun 18th 2007, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Ambre Solaire will become famous soon enoughAmbre Solaire will become famous soon enough
Default Do Builders charge for estimates ?

We are interested in a property and after having it surveyed, find that it needs some work doing. I have been advised by the estate agent that they can obtain a quote for the work, but the builder will want 50 Euros, "as there is no guarantee that he would get the job"

As we do not speak Spanish, language is a problem and hence the agent wants 20 Eu per hour to translate the pages of English to Spanish to enable the builder to do his quote, pay him 50 EU for doing the quote and then 20 Eu per hour for them to translate Spanish into English for us.

Is this the norm !

l
Old Jun 18th 2007, 2:47 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do Builders charge for estimates ?

Originally Posted by Ambre Solaire
We are interested in a property and after having it surveyed, find that it needs some work doing. I have been advised by the estate agent that they can obtain a quote for the work, but the builder will want 50 Euros, "as there is no guarantee that he would get the job"

As we do not speak Spanish, language is a problem and hence the agent wants 20 Eu per hour to translate the pages of English to Spanish to enable the builder to do his quote, pay him 50 EU for doing the quote and then 20 Eu per hour for them to translate Spanish into English for us.

Is this the norm !

l
I haven`t met a builder yet that charges for an estimate.
Phone some others and get estimates off them.
If he was a decent agent he would translate it as part of his work of selling the property.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 2:47 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Is this the norm !

l
When we had a quote from a builder to remove our old windows and persianas and fit new ones he did not charge for the quote. He did not know whether we would employ him until after we agreed that his quote seemed fair and that we agreed to him doing the job.

Do not know if this is normal either, so may be of no use to you.

What area are you in?

Also it is very hard to come by builders who are available because of the massive amount of building that is going on in Spain.

Rosemary
Old Jun 18th 2007, 2:52 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Quoting for any work and charging for that quote is pretty counter productive as far as I am concerned.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 2:53 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Quoting for any work and charging for that quote is pretty counter productive as far as I am concerned.
It sound to me like the estate agent is the one doing the charging and saying that it is the builder.

Rosemary
Old Jun 18th 2007, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Ambre Solaire will become famous soon enoughAmbre Solaire will become famous soon enough

The property is in a small inland hamlet
Old Jun 18th 2007, 2:57 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
It sound to me like the estate agent is the one doing the charging and saying that it is the builder.

Rosemary
Yeah, too right, tell him its a freebie or you will look elsewhere.
I was in the trade for 40 years and never ever charged for an estimate.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 2:57 pm
Dipsomaniac

mikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to behold

Find a new agent, this one is trying it on
Old Jun 18th 2007, 2:59 pm

The property is in a small inland hamlet
It has just occurred to me that if a survey is done on a Spanish house by a Spanish surveyor surely the information would have been written in Spanish not English so why is the agent asking you to pay for that translation?

Rosemary
Old Jun 18th 2007, 3:00 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities

Rosemary
It does to me, even if there are very few jobs and losing one is a big loss charging for a quote is a sure fire way to lose the job.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all your replies -

We have been told the money would be re-imbursed if we bought the property, but we would have to pay for it in advance -prior to the translation and the quote !
Old Jun 18th 2007, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry forgot to mention, Survey was carried out by a British surveyor in English - Thank God
Old Jun 18th 2007, 3:20 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your replies -

We have been told the money would be re-imbursed if we bought the property, but we would have to pay for it in advance -prior to the translation and the quote !
Just to put the shoe on the other foot for a moment, if I was a builder and I was asked to quote for some work by someone who didn´t even own the property and there was no guarantee that they ever would, it would be quite easy to see how you might be labelled as a timewaster.

Charging you for the estimate, and then reimbursing you for it further down the line actually doesn´t seem unreasonable to me!

But I guess I am on my own here.

As for the translation, if you go to a translation company 20 euros an hour would be extremely cheap, especially as we are talking technical jargon here. I don´t know how big the document is, but to get it professionally translated will cost well over 20 euros an hour. Unless, that is, you persuade someone to do it for you for free, and that would have to be someone who has a vested interest in getting it done.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Keith

Most of the report is in "easy to understand" English, just a few technical words like "under pinning". No doubt I can use the excellent summary that is at the end of the report.

I was just amazed when the agent suggested paying money to the builder and then thought maybe I was being nieve.

Unfortunately, one of our biggest problems is lack of Spanish !
Old Jun 18th 2007, 3:34 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Keith

Most of the report is in "easy to understand" English, just a few technical words like "under pinning". No doubt I can use the excellent summary that is at the end of the report.

I was just amazed when the agent suggested paying money to the builder and then thought maybe I was being nieve.

Unfortunately, one of our biggest problems is lack of Spanish !
I´m guessing that the builder gets umpteen requests for quotes from people who are "thinking about buying a property". And perhaps only a very few of these quotes actually turn into paying clients, perhaps through no fault of his own but simply because these people don´t end up buying the house for one reason or another.

Contrary to what others have stated on here, I actually don´t think the builder is unreasonable by asking for 50 euros (refundable).

However, if you were already the owners of the house and fully installed in the property, I wouldn´t expect to pay for an estimate for works. I guess the builder just thinks that the odds of him getting the job, regardless how good his prices are, are very small. That´s what I´d be thinking anyway.

Last edited by keithwalters; Jun 18th 2007 at 3:38 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.