DIY rules

Old Jul 30th 2010, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Peter1954 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DIY rules

Hi, Can anyone tell me how much DIY you can do legally in Spain? Obviously Gas and Electrics need to be done by qualified people but what about the rest?
Peter
Old Jul 30th 2010, 4:22 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DIY rules

Hi Peter, I see you aren't strictly new, but welcome anyway. I have moved your post to the Spain forum where hopefully you will get some answers.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

You can do anything you want but, have to get permission for everything, go to the Ayuntamiento and complete a form, here you are supposed to ask from painting the outside of the house to doing anything indoors. cheapest permsi here is 51 euros and that covers work up to 1000euros

We have done things from tiling/building a wall around the property/pool/terraces and so on but always with permiso. All ourselves
Old Jul 30th 2010, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

someone just told me i should of applied for a licence to trim my bourgonvilla, because it over hangs the road
Old Jul 31st 2010, 8:54 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Let's see. One neighbour has installed a pool, another has built a covering over the terrace, and the third is painting. Then there's the building work going on to left and right.

I'm prepared to make a small bet that they couldn't produce one permiso between them.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 11:54 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies but I'm still confused. I had a building licence a few years ago (now expired) which said the building works must be carried out by a registered builder. I'm quite capable of doing the work I now need to do ( I built a 2 storey extension in the UK) but obviously I'm not registered. I have to do the work myself as I can't afford to use a builder due to falling house prices and the weak pound (compared to 3 years ago). The work involves demolishing (non load bearing) internal walls and installing new bathrooms etc. People in the UK (and other countries) can build an entire house themselves if they like so long as they comply with building regs. and planning so why does my old permit say it must be done by a registered builder?
Old Jul 31st 2010, 12:08 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

This is spain and the spanish make the rules.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

The police here are quite hot re permiso's and this is almost 100% Spanish area, but the stop and ask anyone with sand or obvious building stuff if they have the bit of paper. But I also know people that have not bothered, some have been dobbed in by the neighbours.

As a poster said above, this is Spain, different rules and laws, I would be quite well off for all the times with very few people I have said "this is Spain not UK" as I hate the , "but in England/Wales/Scotland it isnt like that. no it isnt this is Spain.

Would think if the permiso said had to be built by builder then that was what they want.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 12:26 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwwm
...... in England/Wales/Scotland it isnt like that. no it isnt this is Spain.

Would think if the permiso said had to be built by builder then that was what they want.
I would have thought a 2 storey extension would involve eletrical work? Even in NI you would need a qualified electrician.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Indeed and plumbing, boletins for both at a price.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 1:51 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter1954
Thanks for your replies but I'm still confused. I had a building licence a few years ago (now expired) which said the building works must be carried out by a registered builder. I'm quite capable of doing the work I now need to do ( I built a 2 storey extension in the UK) but obviously I'm not registered. I have to do the work myself as I can't afford to use a builder due to falling house prices and the weak pound (compared to 3 years ago). The work involves demolishing (non load bearing) internal walls and installing new bathrooms etc. People in the UK (and other countries) can build an entire house themselves if they like so long as they comply with building regs. and planning so why does my old permit say it must be done by a registered builder?
I queried this too. My licences have all required a builder - as the promoter, I was not allowed to do anything!

The answer I got was to go autonomo and they MIGHT allow me to do some of the work
Old Jul 31st 2010, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwwm
Indeed and plumbing, boletins for both at a price.
as long as its "upto spec" most electricians and plumbers will sign it off and give a bollatin, if they are able (for a price) at least round here.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

If all the work is inside the house I would go for it without the licence. Just be wary of skips etc standing outside for too long.

I had a visit from the local police a couple of years ago because a pile of sand recently delivered outside my house was obstructing the footpath. When asked if I had a licence I replied no and was fined the grand total of €3 to be paid at the town hall.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Peter1954
Hi, Can anyone tell me how much DIY you can do legally in Spain? Obviously Gas and Electrics need to be done by qualified people but what about the rest?
Peter
Peter, Cocentaina town hall is fairly relaxed about these things ....unless you are putting on a large extension...if you stay within the "footprint" of the house you can pretty much do what you want. If you want more expert advice go down to a builder's merchant and ask them Toledo has a girlthere that speaks fluent English and the guys are always very helpful.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: DIY rules

Thanks dunmovin. We should all being well be moving to Cocentaina full time in a few weeks. We've a town house that needs abit of TLC, well a lot actually. Where is Toledo?
Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.