Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Dissertation Research - Any comments very welcome

Dissertation Research - Any comments very welcome

Old Oct 28th 2010, 10:01 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dissertation Research - Any comments very welcome

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I think the happiest ex-pats in Spain are the ones that don't integrate. They don't speak spanish except eg. "la cuenta por favor". They mix with like minded other British. They think all the spanish love them cos a few spanish where they spend their money welcome them. They know little of real life going on in Spain neither watching TV or reading spanish papers. All the shit passes over their head
Many a true word spoken in jest............

this is a story in a similar vein about acouple who got married in the Maldives.

I am sure that they were thrilled with the way their wedding went and were showing the footage a photos to all the fimily back home.

As the story goes, they official and staff were insulting them and mocking them in a very cruel way.

When it was posted on Youtube the truth came out........

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ve-resort.html

I wonder if the marriage has any legal standing at all.

As J2 said sometimes ignorance IS bliss.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 10:29 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I had a little chuckle when I saw that. Glad my Daughter chose Barbados.

I was once in Zara at the cash desk and one worker said to another "go down to the far end and watch those foreigners they always steal"
Old Oct 28th 2010, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

I was once in Zara at the cash desk and one worker said to another "go down to the far end and watch those foreigners they always steal"
Everything in Zara, right down to a bar of soap, has an electronic tag on it which has to be deactivated at the cash desk or sets of alarm when leaving the store.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 11:02 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve been out and about in my supposedly ‘British’ area this morning, Spanish hospital, Spanish bar and Spanish bank. I was trying to spot a fellow expat, a funny game to play.

It was almost a relief when the obvious expat queuing in front of me at the bank got to the front. He heaped a pile of papers on to the startled bank employee’s desk and the waiting started. Over the next half-hour I began to hate that expat and wondered at the bank employee’s patience. And mine.

When I finally got to sit down and presented my lone and uncomplicated form to him, the chap was making those Spanish hand movements to explain what he thought of his last customer.

I tried to sympathise. ‘Ingleses, eh?’ followed by the hand movements.

‘No’no’no, Aleman’, and the hand movements went into overdrive.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 11:28 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I’ve been out and about in my supposedly ‘British’ area this morning, Spanish hospital, Spanish bar and Spanish bank. I was trying to spot a fellow expat, a funny game to play.

It was almost a relief when the obvious expat queuing in front of me at the bank got to the front. He heaped a pile of papers on to the startled bank employee’s desk and the waiting started. Over the next half-hour I began to hate that expat and wondered at the bank employee’s patience. And mine.

When I finally got to sit down and presented my lone and uncomplicated form to him, the chap was making those Spanish hand movements to explain what he thought of his last customer.

I tried to sympathise. ‘Ingleses, eh?’ followed by the hand movements.

‘No’no’no, Aleman’, and the hand movements went into overdrive.

They dont have a very good reputation around here
Old Oct 28th 2010, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

there's good & bad people in all walks of life. I know bad Spanish tradesman & good english ones, lazy germans - you just go with your instincts. Not any 1 nationality has a monopoly on friendliness, honesty etc.

I do feel for the people who have moved over & cut their tie with the UK, it will always be your home country.

Also, try & be as legal as you can, someone has to pay for the hospitals, police, roads in Spain.

I still can't see the point in English restaurants abroad though.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 1:27 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poolboy
there's good & bad people in all walks of life. I know bad Spanish tradesman & good english ones, lazy germans - you just go with your instincts. Not any 1 nationality has a monopoly on friendliness, honesty etc.

I do feel for the people who have moved over & cut their tie with the UK, it will always be your home country.

Also, try & be as legal as you can, someone has to pay for the hospitals, police, roads in Spain.

I still can't see the point in English restaurants abroad though.
I dont get that bit about you not seeing the point of English restaurants abroad.

That is like saying you dont see th point of Chinese, Italian, or Spanish restaurants outside of China Italy and Spain.

What a boring world it would be if there were only "natvie" restaurants in each country.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy

They dont have a very good reputation around here
I spent 5 years in Germany and almost never encountered a rude German there. I went on holiday on the Med from there and encountered many. Just as we Brits love to recount tales of badly behaved Brits so they recount tales of badly behaved Germans.

In Hong Kong it was common to talk about loud and brash Yanks on the Star Ferries who you could hear the length and breadth of the Ferry. As for integrating try living in Cornwall. The Cornish are renowned for their distrust of foreigners, even unto the third and fourth generation.

Here in Spain one of the reasons we bought a place here was that there was no pressure to "integrate" as many Brits would have you do. Try and define integration. The only people I find who wish for "integration" for all are other Brits.

People are what they are and no ranting and going on about integration will change that

Jim
Old Oct 28th 2010, 4:28 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I got to thinking about the German who upset the bank clerk today, but as Jim pointed out, people are the same the world over.

The bank clerk was lucky, if that customer had been a Russian, he would have been sitting there with his hands up.

I say that partly in jest, but also because the local Russians have so far shot and killed a Spanish builder and a famous Spanish notary, in separate incidents, and that’s apart from the regular executions within their own community.

I suspect that we don’t get the best quality of foreigners from the eastern part of Europe. I’m frightened to philosophise further, in case my fellow expats come under too much scrutiny, but the villains seem to have congregated on the Costa del Sol around Fuengirola, a traditional resting place for them, and there have also been some well recorded shootings down that way, Brits on Brits. Even Charlie Wilson, the train robber copped it down there, didn’t he?

I got the shock of my life yesterday while sipping coffee in a Spanish bar round the corner when four Guardia Civil GRS walked in and stood next to me. I’m quite tall, but these were giants, and they were armed to the teeth. To my relief they ordered four diet cokes and sat down, but I still scolded myself on the hot coffee.

How do the Spanish put up with us?
Old Oct 28th 2010, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

I don´t want to particularly eat in an English restaurant but I would like the opportunity for more variety than we presently get in the Spanish restaurants. It is chips, chips and more chips and no fresh veg. I love spicy food but even the Indian and Chinese round us aren´t very good. Can I have a Nando´s please.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 6:06 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, Nandos chicken wings, the fiery one Suprised it hasn't opened in Spain.

I say that partly in jest, but also because the local Russians have so far shot and killed a Spanish builder and a famous Spanish notary

Well good for the Russians
Old Oct 28th 2010, 6:09 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
I don´t want to particularly eat in an English restaurant but I would like the opportunity for more variety than we presently get in the Spanish restaurants. It is chips, chips and more chips and no fresh veg. I love spicy food but even the Indian and Chinese round us aren´t very good. Can I have a Nando´s please.
I like Nando's, but they serve chips as well! (ok you can choose rice instead). I suspect because you get those places selling roasted chicken (rotisseries, to use the French?) that Nando's don't think it's worthwhile opening in Spain?
I think you generally don't get English restaurants outside resorts (and we're talking most countries), because British food has a bad reputation worldwide. A shame really, as well-prepared good hearty British meals can be superb, with the right ingredients and a decent cook.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 6:10 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, Nandos chicken wings, the fiery one Suprised it hasn't opened in Spain.

I say that partly in jest, but also because the local Russians have so far shot and killed a Spanish builder and a famous Spanish notary

Well good for the Russians
and you wonder why no-one likes you?
Old Oct 28th 2010, 6:39 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
and you wonder why no-one likes you?
Well, I do, because I know she's only jesting. Her remark that all the shit goes over their heads is about the most profound thing I've read on this forum.

Extreme views sometimes tell the truth more vividly than all the pussyfooting around.

Where's that Cricketman? He would have something to say on this topic.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 6:40 pm
Banned

didn't you see the wink you tosser Don't exactly post on here for the popularity contest

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.