Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Disabled Vehicle Import

Disabled Vehicle Import

Old Jul 26th 2011, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

TetraRage is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Disabled Vehicle Import

I am moving to the Canary Islands and im taking my Vehicles with me.
As soon as my Vehicles land i need to have them put through the ITV test.
One is a brand new car and the other is an on/off road buggy.
Both have simple hand controls fitted to the vehicles in order for me to drive.
I am confined to a wheelchair and rely on my own transportation.
My car is a straight forward car.
My Buggy is a Rage Buggy and is equipped to be able to drive on road as well as off road. I will use this to enable me to travel to locations where i can use it off road. It also enables me to get to locations where my disability stops me as long as a vehicle is permitted.
My main concern is having both vehicles pass the ITV, the Buggy more so.

I hope you's can advise

Many thanks
Old Jul 26th 2011, 8:20 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Disabled Vehicle Import

One of our members, Rostra, is a gestor in the Canaries and very experienced at importing cars - hopefully she will pop up soon with some answers for you.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 1:01 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

About two years ago I helped a disabled person get their car transferred onto Spanish plates - he had hand controls as he didn´t have legs - ITV was perfectly OK with it

Davexf
Old Jul 28th 2011, 4:26 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

As Concierges for the Spanish section of BE we would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Rosemary and Graham
Old Jul 30th 2011, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Rostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fred James
One of our members, Rostra, is a gestor in the Canaries and very experienced at importing cars - hopefully she will pop up soon with some answers for you.
Thanks for the intro, Fred

The ITV is only part of the importation process. First you have to import your vehicles, paying the import tax, which is based on the official value of the vehicle plus the cost of the ferry (and you) from Cadiz.

Then you take the vehicle to the ITV who inspect it to ensure that it complies with Spain's requirements for a road vehicle (don't laugh at this point!)

Before you leave, you would be well advised to get a 'Certificate of Conformity' from the manufacturer. This may get you out of getting an engineers report (cost about €300) before you go to ITV.

Once you have the import tax receipt (called a DUA), and the Certificate of Conformity or/and the engineers report, plus the first part of the car papers (Ficha Tecnica) from ITV, you then go to Trafico, who will issue you with the second part of the car papers (Permiso de Circulacion). This has your new Registration Number (Matricula), so you can then go and get your Spanish number plates made, and transfer (immediately) to a Spanish insurance policy. It's a good idea to be on a monthly payment for your UK insurance, so that you can stop it when you have to go onto a Spanish policy.

I don't know the details of taxes payable on vehicles for the disabled. I am fairly sure there will be some special provisions. The taxes for importing a normal car to the Canaries range from roughly 15% to 23% of the value of the vehicle, depending on the emissions rating.

Which Island are you going to? You will definitely need help. Let me know if there is anything else you need to ask.

PS You may find it more sensible to sell your ordinary car in the UK and buy another one in the Canaries. It's more cost effective. Also, if you are bringing the car, get the headllights changed over before you leave. Spare parts in the Canaries (including headlamps) are very expensive. One of the cars I imported for a client this year cost nearly €1,000 to change the lamps. Ouch!
Old Jul 30th 2011, 11:03 pm
Just Joined

TetraRage is an unknown quantity at this point

That you all for your information and guidance.
I very much look forward to spending the majority of my time in Fuerteventura and starting a new life there.
I am sure you will here from me again.
Many thanks
Old Aug 1st 2011, 9:27 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I have noticed a couple of slip ups in Rostra's post

Not only the headlights have to be changed; if you have only one reversing light, then it must be on the same side as the kerb, and the "rear foglight" must light up the white line.

First registration tax (wrongly called the import tax) can be exempted if you apply within 60 days of arriving in Spain, as defined by the British Consulate on a Baja de residencia, and your empadron form. The car can be part of your "Goods and chattels"

Davexf

Last edited by Fred James; Aug 2nd 2011 at 6:28 am. Reason: Please restrict business offers to PM
Old Aug 1st 2011, 9:30 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Registration tax in the Canaries is also 1% lower than the mainland.

I will be interested to know where the 15% - 23% tax came from.

If the car is new then the special "goods and chattels" deal doesn't apply but if it was bought tax paid in the EU there is no import tax or IVA added.

Last edited by Fred James; Aug 1st 2011 at 9:33 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Rostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really nice

Registration tax in the Canaries is also 1% lower than the mainland.

I will be interested to know where the 15% - 23% tax came from.

If the car is new then the special "goods and chattels" deal doesn't apply but if it was bought tax paid in the EU there is no import tax or IVA added.
Fred, the exemption under Goods and Chattels apparently no longer applies in the Canary Islands since (I believe) 2005.This info came from the Customs Agent I use

I don't have the files here with me, but from memory the last car I imported for a resident paid €900 for new headlights, 13% import duty (car book value and ferry from Cadiz), €200 fine for not importing the vehicle within the first 45 days of his residence, €300 Engineers report, 11% Registration Tax and various fees and charges (ITV etc) of about €200. And me for doing the job of course.

He had looked up importing a car to Spain, and got a completely different set of numbers, and if he had known what it was like in the Canaries, would not have brought the vehicle with him.

Apart from changing his headlights, the only other job we had to do was take his towbar off as it was not homulgated and was not fitted by a Spanish engineer. There was no mention of anything to do with fog lights.

It was a fairly new Toyota Landcruiser, so the bills were enormous.

A.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 2:59 pm

And I thought the Canaries were a low tax environment!
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

And I thought the Canaries were a low tax environment!
Mmmm - VAT = IGIC = 4.5%

Also low fuel/alcohol/tobacco taxes.

Everything else seems to be more expensive!
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 4:03 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Hi Tetrarage

I have sent you a pm

Davexf
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 4:07 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

It could be, of course, that the land cruiser has twin reversing lights and twin rear fog lights.

If not, then DXF is absolutely correct and they SHOULD be changed.

Some engineers and ITV centres don't seem to care though! Our imported peugeot (307) only has one of each and I thought I'd try and get it through without changing them - haven't seen much fog! Absolutely no problem, never has been mention and I've now had 3 ITV's.