Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Disabled Parking

Disabled Parking

Old Jul 16th 2012, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Disabled Parking

I have just returned from the Supermarket where I saw a Bentley pull up in the disabled parking bays from which emerged a guy who then strolled off into the shop. I am not judging his disability as some are not obvious but I do question whether or not disabled parking should be free. Judging by the cars you usually see (not scientific I know) I do question it. I don't of course object to diabled parking being conveniently situated but should it be free. All all disabled drivers poor?

Should I get out my tin hat?
Old Jul 16th 2012, 10:46 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Disabled Parking

More or less agree. It is the usual said that you can't see a disability but if you can't see it and they can walk normally in the supermarket why the need and don't get me started on those scooters
Old Jul 16th 2012, 10:51 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuboy
I have just returned from the Supermarket where I saw a Bentley pull up in the disabled parking bays from which emerged a guy who then strolled off into the shop. I am not judging his disability as some are not obvious but I do question whether or not disabled parking should be free. Judging by the cars you usually see (not scientific I know) I do question it. I don't of course object to diabled parking being conveniently situated but should it be free. All all disabled drivers poor?

Should I get out my tin hat?
Isn't supermarket parking normally free to customers? It's the convenient situation that the disabled driver receives - the free bit applies to all shoppers.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 10:52 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get me started on this one....

Disabled bay outside John Lewis, new Volvo estate pulls up, young girl in early 20's jumps out and rushes off to the shops.

Disabled bay by the market, room for 4 disabled cars, MPV pulls up across 2 spaces and 5 get out and amble off to the shops, then a sports car arrives, parks across the other two spaces and 2 young men get out and go to shops.
Both had disabled badges but as you say, not all disabilities are immediately apparent.

2 years ago I had a serious leg injury and could asked GP if I could get a temporary blue badge - had to pick him up off the floor laughing.

if you want a real windup do a google for things like "blue badge scams" and similar and see how many people are abusing it.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

The blue badge scheme is very open to abuse, and abused it certainly is. We met one Brit expat here who openly told us that he used his late father's blue badge when picking people up from the airport (operating as an unlicensed taxi service!).

Doing this, or simply parking in a space reserved for disabled people because you can't be bothered to walk a few more yards, is despicable.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 1:56 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Bentley driver may have been collecting his disabled mother? I might like multi-millionaire Mr D Justo Quesada's chauffuer driven Maybach but I do not envy his son's severe physical disabilities.

It seems to be flavour of the month to blame disabled spongers for the state of the ecconomy. If you see someone who does not look disabled you can challenge them and/or draw this to the attention of the appropriate authority. A genuine disabled person should have no problem with that.

IMHO you are more likely to see someone without a badge parked in a spot designated for disabled people. Feel free to challenge them ........... at your own risk <LOL>
Old Jul 16th 2012, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Isn't supermarket parking normally free to customers? It's the convenient situation that the disabled driver receives - the free bit applies to all shoppers.
Normally,but this supermarket is Town Centre and the free car park is a little way from the front door. Outside on the public highway they have the disabled spots
Old Jul 17th 2012, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

The blue badge scheme is abused and the only way to stop that is to charge for disabled parking at the same rate as other parking.
People receive enough in disability benefits to pay like the able bodied.
There is no reason why the disabled bays should not positioned more conveniently.
I also take that view with other services such as wheelchairs at airports etc.

Basically I believe the State should pay sufficient in benefit allowances to enable the disabled to pay their way on things like this. If my mother who recently had a fall is anything to go and now receives benefits they do.

Last edited by johnnyone; Jul 17th 2012 at 6:47 am.