Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Digital Certificates

Digital Certificates

Old Mar 17th 2021, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

NABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Digital Certificates

For some reason the search function is not working so my apologies for posting the question directly.

I am trying to obtain digital certificates for my wife and I. I have tried obtaining the software, entering the personal data and accepting the T&C's and then when pressing the 'enviar peticion' button nothing happens.

I am trying this on a PC running Windows 8.1 and have tried Chrome, Internet Explorer and Firefox (just downloaded).

If anybody can offer some advice or suggestions as what to try next it would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 17th 2021, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Digital Certificates

As far as I know (I do have one) you cannot actually obtain online directly - you have to attend an approved issuer who after verifying your passport etc issues it to you. Maybe this has changed with Covid (and limited face-to-face etc) but suggest you research here

https://www.sede.fnmt.gob.es/en/cert...wOY9o0yF6eEOQ8

Depending on which area you live determines where you can go to obtain- I know some town halls can help so suggest you enquire there also.
Old Mar 17th 2021, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

NABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Spainrico,

Our Gestor showed me the process and the GOB site does 'apparently' support an online application. There is a link for the online application 'Solicitud via internet de su certificado'. What is 'supposed' to happen is after the application is submitted a reference number is received in the email address used. Then our identities need to be checked at the padronato (passport and TIE) against the number received and then the digital certificate is unlocked.

All well and good but useless if the application cannot be submitted. Looks like a trip to the Town Hall is necessary. 🤔
Old Mar 17th 2021, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

OK I got mine a while ago (pre Covid) so no doubt they are trying to make it possible online but it probably complicated because of the need to verify ID - other agencies also offer including SUMA (Valencia) but yes try town hall they will know who issues if they cannot.

BTW I read somewhere the other day Microsoft is still offering free upgrades to Windows 10. This reminds me of a friend who had online problems with the TIE application using windows but when he switched to an android device it all went smoothly.
Old Mar 17th 2021, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

VEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond repute

Nicked from elsewhere. Worked for me when I first applied.

Go to the link:

https://www.sede.fnmt.gob.es/certificad ... ertificado

• Under ‘Citizens’ click on ‘Applying for your certifícate online’. When the new page loads, you might get a warning bar at the top of the page regarding running add-ons – if you get this, allow temporarily.
• Enter your NIE number in the box, without hyphens (i.e. X0123456Y), and click ‘Enviar peticion’
• You will get a warning message asking if it is OK to issue a security certifícate – click OK
• You will then get another warning message saying ‘creating a new RSA Exchange Key’ – click OK
• The next page will show a 9 digit number in blue. This is your ‘code’ – print this page.

YOU MUST NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES TO YOUR COMPUTER FROM NOW UNTIL THE WHOLE PROCESS HAS BEEN COMPLETED AND YOU HAVE DOWNLOADED YOUR CERTIFICATE. THIS INCLUDES CHANGING BROWSER, REFORMATTING THE HARD DRIVE AND POSSIBLY UPDATES
Go back to the starting page, and click on ‘Nearest Offices’, where you can search for the nearest authorisation office to you. Be aware that this part of the site is not up to date – there were 2 offices nearest to us, and neither were doing it any more !

If the 'Nearest Offices' link does not work try here:

http://mapaoficinascert.appspot.com/

You can also accredit your identity in the Spanish consulates of the capital cities of most countries. See here for a list:

http://www.agenciatributaria.es/AEAT.in ... ero_.shtml

• Visit the approved office in person, taking your printed 9 digit number; and the appropriate ID:
• This is taken from the website:-
o DOCUMENTACIÓN NECESARIA
o Si el titular es una persona física, deberá presentar:
o DNI o tarjeta de residencia (NIE) para las ciudadanos extracomunitarios
o Los ciudadanos comunitarios que no tengan la tarjeta de residencia, presentaran el "Certificado de Registro de Ciudadanos de la Unión y su Pasaporte"
{DNI or NIE (tarjeta de residencia)
Or
Certificado de Registro de Cuidadanos and Passport}

We are not resident, but took the following:
o NIE plus copy
o Passport plus copy
and this was fine.
• You will be asked for your telephone number & email address, and they print out 3 copies of a form. Sign each copy, and one will be given to you to keep.

The FOLLOWING DAY or later (we were told), go to the site, and click on ‘3. Downloading your Certificate’.
• Enter your NIE and the 9 digit code (this is on the top right hand side of the printed form you were given), and click ‘Enviar’.
• You will get a Windows warning about the security certifícate – click OK
• You will then get a message that basically says you have now downloaded your User certifícate !!
Old Mar 17th 2021, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Thanks VEDShappy, will give this a try
Old Mar 17th 2021, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

Littleweed60 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem, tried various browser without success. Eventually got it to work by installing an old version of Firefox (version 68, I believe). I am not able to post links yet but if you google Balcells Group Digital Certificate you should see the instructions I followed. BTW could not get Internet Explorer to work, only an old version of Firefox.
Old Mar 18th 2021, 11:11 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

If you already have a certificate and it's about to run out, you can renew it online with AutoFirma, but if you don't have one you need to go to Social Security or similar and prove your identity as part of the process of generating your first certificate.

Also I seem to rememeber they will only let you renew every other certificate online, the rest require you to prove your ID in person.

Last edited by DLC; Mar 18th 2021 at 11:14 am.
Old Mar 18th 2021, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

Gov sites here often have expired security certificates and Firefox is particularly averse to them. I tend to flip flop between FF and Vivaldi and just the other day on a gov site I hit a wall with FF refusing to go on because of an expired cert. I switched over to Vivaldi which sailed through the process without a problem. Try Vivaldi, it's good.
Old Mar 18th 2021, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I did mine through our village GuadalInfo office. I just arranged a time took my laptop and the helpful man who runs the office sorted it out for me on that laptop and emailed me the link to update other devices I may use. Free of charge.
Old Mar 18th 2021, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks to everybody, I am going to crack on tomorrow with trying the suggestions offered. It seems absurd that all these various 'processes' have to be tried to achieve what should be a simple goal.
Old Mar 18th 2021, 6:25 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I recently got my certificates on my iMac very easily and it took 5 minutes in the town hall to verify our identity. They were downloaded as soon as I received the confirmation email.
Old Mar 18th 2021, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Mustard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rafikiphoto
Gov sites here often have expired security certificates and Firefox is particularly averse to them. I tend to flip flop between FF and Vivaldi and just the other day on a gov site I hit a wall with FF refusing to go on because of an expired cert. I switched over to Vivaldi which sailed through the process without a problem. Try Vivaldi, it's good.
Yes, I too had a lot of problems with Firefox particularly with trying to make a digital signiture.

Following correspondence with the Social Security online help-desk, I was recommended to use the old Microsoft Internet Explorer application, which is hidden away inside Windows 10. It works perfectly.
Old Mar 18th 2021, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NABman
For some reason the search function is not working so my apologies for posting the question directly.

I am trying to obtain digital certificates for my wife and I. I have tried obtaining the software, entering the personal data and accepting the T&C's and then when pressing the 'enviar peticion' button nothing happens.

I am trying this on a PC running Windows 8.1 and have tried Chrome, Internet Explorer and Firefox (just downloaded).

If anybody can offer some advice or suggestions as what to try next it would be greatly appreciated.
I did mine using Win 8.1 & Chrome browser. Do make sure that your browser is up to date....My 1st attempt failed due to this.

We did it the old fashion way, appointment with town hall, show required doc's, get 25 digit code and followed instructions on subsequent Email/text message. Don't forget to install Autofirma, handy bit of software that negotiates with the various differences of the Spanish IT departments.
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

How to apply for a digital certificate* (from British Embassy Madrid)
What is it? The Digital Certificate or 'Certificado Digital' in Spanish, is an electronic ID that allows the user to manage a wide range of administrative processes from their own computer.
What is it useful for? The Digital Certificate is necessary to register as Autónomo (self-employed); to register your documents when applying for the TIE; to declare your income every year when you submit your 'declaración de la renta', and to subscribe to the Social Security regime, among other processes.
Age in Spain have put together this useful guide here for how to get your digital certificate:

https://www.ageinspain.org/post/digi...WJAjamE_7nNtPM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.