Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Did you invest in Facebook?

Did you invest in Facebook?

Old May 22nd 2012, 6:36 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Did you invest in Facebook?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...iticism-mounts

Shares in Facebook shares fell again on Tuesday as questions mounted over the company's financial prospects and its ability to grow fast enough to meet the hype surrounding its stock.
There are IT companies that I think have shown their worth eg Apple, Amazon and Google.
But I never quite understood the praise for Facebook. It seems like a slightly more modern version of FriendsReUnited to me.
Still, what do I know? I've never worked on a social network on this scale, and they must have done some things right to get this far.
Old May 22nd 2012, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did you invest in Facebook?

I am about to launch my own internet website.

It will be called "Shut your face book" and is targeting all those antisocial people out there.

This time next year I will be the loneliest billionaire on the planet.
Old May 22nd 2012, 6:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Imo, Facebook is overpriced by a multiple of 100

The shares value the company at $100 billion where it should be more like 1 billion

There is no great way of monitizing Facebook. At the moment, most of the income is from games and adverts, but it "only" takes it 100 million dollars per year which is 8% of what Google take even though Facebook gets more page views. It is going to be almost impossible to grow any bigger as everyone who wants to be on Facebook is already on there.

Add in the fact there there is no cool tech with Facebook, it is all built with cr*ppy programming with a poor user experience then my prediction is that Facebook is a fad. In 10 years time we'll probably have found something better and the company will be worth next to nothing. Like what happened to MySpace over the past 5 years

Still, it's made a handful of young people very rich!
Old May 22nd 2012, 7:04 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Imo, Facebook is overpriced by a multiple of 100

The shares value the company at $100 billion where it should be more like 1 billion

There is no great way of monitizing Facebook. At the moment, most of the income is from games and adverts, but it "only" takes it 100 million dollars per year which is 8% of what Google take even though Facebook gets more page views. It is going to be almost impossible to grow any bigger as everyone who wants to be on Facebook is already on there.

Add in the fact there there is no cool tech with Facebook, it is all built with cr*ppy programming with a poor user experience then my prediction is that Facebook is a fad. In 10 years time we'll probably have found something better and the company will be worth next to nothing. Like what happened to MySpace over the past 5 years

I feel I want to agree with most of what you said.
Yet, I know so many different people who go on Facebook. There must be something that makes them stick with it.
Old May 22nd 2012, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I feel I want to agree with most of what you said.
Yet, I know so many different people who go on Facebook. There must be something that makes them stick with it.
Oh Facebook is cool to keep in touch with people, especially for browsing through friend's photos

But that doesnt make it a $100 billion company. Only the potential for extremely high revenue does that

Facebook has 4 employees in Spain and had $1 million income in 2011 despite 1 in 4 Spaniards having a Facebook account. Something doesnt add up..
Old May 22nd 2012, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

sujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by shirley and anthony hide
I am about to launch my own internet website.

It will be called "Shut your face book" and is targeting all those antisocial people out there.

This time next year I will be the loneliest billionaire on the planet.
Can I join your website please?

I hate facebook and consider it the invention of the devil!
Old May 22nd 2012, 8:52 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sujee
Can I join your website please?

I hate facebook and consider it the invention of the devil!
I hate it too. So false and puerile. I have seen people I know saying something about their "darling husband" or like "How wonderful is my Daughter"...yadda, yadda and I think FFS can't you just tell them to their face. They should call it boastface!
Old May 23rd 2012, 6:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Faecesbook
Old May 23rd 2012, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I hate it too. So false and puerile. I have seen people I know saying something about their "darling husband" or like "How wonderful is my Daughter"...yadda, yadda and I think FFS can't you just tell them to their face. They should call it boastface!
I used to think much the same, but of course you don't have to use it that way. I'm not a big user, bit of a "billy no mates" with few "friends" and I never put any personal stuff, my main use is for news of local events and keeping me in touch with friends and happenings in Spain. I do a lot of photography and would have missed lots of events without FB, I have sold photos via FB to the various tourist boards, so it has it's uses. I divulge no info there, only genuine friends can contact me, I'd suggest sensible adults can use it completely differently to the kids.
Old May 23rd 2012, 8:27 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what the difference between Facebook and here is to be honest? Its what you make it, as someone has already said its a great way to catch up with people you thought would never see or hear from again and its helped me connect with the huge diaspora that is my family. Its also a great way to absolutely hammer friends and insult them on an epic scale!

The sad thing about it though is that a good amount of the people I connect with (and insult) are from here... cant get away from some of you!
Old May 23rd 2012, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
as someone has already said its a great way to catch up with people you thought would never see or hear from again
If I think I'll never see or hear from people again, it's usually for a reason and I'm quite happy for it to stay that way!

Count me in on the anti-social version - at this rate it will have more members than the original!
Old May 23rd 2012, 8:38 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
If I think I'll never see or hear from people again, it's usually for a reason and I'm quite happy for it to stay that way!

Count me in on the anti-social version - at this rate it will have more members than the original!
Really? You fall out of contact with people because you don't like them or don"t ever want to see them again? Is that really the only reason?

Over the years I have had friends move several times, over the years I have moved several times, many of my school friends were overseas students anyway and god only knows if I would ever have caught up with them without Arsebook. I have a father in the South of England, a step father in London, the greater part of my family in Australia and New Zealand, a sister in Middlesborough, a brother in China and friends in Argentina. Without Arsebook I'd have to own shares in BT to be able to afford to keep in contact with them.
Old May 23rd 2012, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Really? You fall out of contact with people because you don't like them or don"t ever want to see them again? Is that really the only reason?
I guess out of sight is out of mind with most people, as far as I'm concerned. I've managed to keep in touch with a few old friends and work colleagues entirely without the help of Facebook or any other social network, just by phone, email, letters (remember them from the olden days?) and meet-ups when I'm back in the UK. The rest I'm just not that bothered about, TBH, or I'd have made the effort, wouldn't I?

I only have a small family and they all live within 3 miles of each other in the UK so no problems keeping in touch with them, either.
Old May 23rd 2012, 12:35 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Imo, Facebook is overpriced by a multiple of 100The shares value the company at $100 billion where it should be more like 1 billion

totally agree with you.
this is just another dotcom/tulip bulb/south sea bubble that will come home to roost after a while and the panic dies down.

remember the dotcom bubble.? Well you are older than you think.!
but more importantly it proved just how many people out there are 100% gullible.
how can such an internet company with a couple of dozen staff (at most) be worth more than Apple that provides employment to thousands.?
how can such an internet company with a couple of dozen staff (at most) be worth more than the major manufacturers such as British Aerospace, General Electric, British Airports etc etc - even Telefonica

off to find my pin, misplaced it during the move to Spain.
Old May 23rd 2012, 12:36 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what the difference between Facebook and here is to be honest? Its what you make it, as someone has already said its a great way to catch up with people you thought would never see or hear from again and its helped me connect with the huge diaspora that is my family. Its also a great way to absolutely hammer friends and insult them on an epic scale!

The sad thing about it though is that a good amount of the people I connect with (and insult) are from here... cant get away from some of you!
and the rest of us will be calling later

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.