Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Design & Print in Spain

Design & Print in Spain

Old Nov 30th 2008, 11:24 am
Ever The Optimist

jen_andy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Design & Print in Spain

Hi, this isn't a marketing ploy I promise!

We're looking at expanding our design/web/print business in the med possibly next year.

I have a couple of clients in spain who are always desperate for quality design and printing at reasonable prices and I was just wondering if other expats found similar problems in Spain?

We get a lot of uk business through the internet, so local work isn't too much of a problem, but any advice would be very gratefully received
thanks
Jen & Andy
Old Nov 30th 2008, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Design & Print in Spain

Originally Posted by jen_andy
Hi, this isn't a marketing ploy I promise!

We're looking at expanding our design/web/print business in the med possibly next year.

I have a couple of clients in spain who are always desperate for quality design and printing at reasonable prices and I was just wondering if other expats found similar problems in Spain?

We get a lot of uk business through the internet, so local work isn't too much of a problem, but any advice would be very gratefully received
thanks
Jen & Andy
there are plenty of Spanish companies who offer these services so just depends on whether you can compete with them......we used http://www.publinougandia.com/ and we happy with their service
Old Nov 30th 2008, 12:06 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

you want to set up in spain here aswell , just can do over the net here , design/web/print business in the media possibly next year. work for Spanish/Irish/Uk/Swedish/hungarian with office in main city

we fine that bussines is down on last year , we had joblay off here
Old Dec 1st 2008, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Splatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud of

Hi Jen and Andy,
Are you in Spain then already and working mainly with UK companies over that interweb? If so then whereabouts in Spain are you?
I'm on the Costa Blanca North and I know that there are a few UK expats out here doing print, but not full litho or those four colour process machines. I think the main reason is that entry level into those machines is about 100k and that's before you buy guillotines, folders etc.
There are those who will sell you print as a non-Spanish speaker and then get it done by one of the local companies, obviously taking their cut.

So in a nutshell I would say that yes there is a market for it but it would be a brave person to go for it in this climate. The best advice I think I could give to anyone at the moment is that if you are keeping your head above water at the moment then keep paddling and pick up any extra business you can as the others slowly drown!

Good luck with your plans!

Ste.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 9:00 am
Ever The Optimist

jen_andy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we offer litho but its done on a trade account at a large press (by the time you add on delivery to spain it won't be very competitive)

We'd be probably offering high quality digital prints, large format prints, canvas wrapping, vinyl. . . maybe even roller banners etc.

All the graphic and web work is done by me and my partner, the printing side is mainly an extra to what we do.

We're still in the bitterly cold uk at the moment unfortunately
I'm expecting a baby in April, so we'd by looking at moving probably end of august/September when we're getting sleep again! (providing all goes well)

Thanks for your advice, on another note: does anyone know any good low cost uk-spain postal services? The boxes of flyers etc are only small, but they weigh a lot, so if its about 25-30kg per 5000 flyers it gets very costly to post. . . any advice again would be gratefully received!

Jenny
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Splatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud of

Hi Jenny,
What part of Spain are you looking at moving to? The reason I ask is that it looks like we are in the same business! (Check my sig)

I'll help as much as I can though, I've only just started trading and it's about three times harder than I initially thought it would be, the exchange rate didn't help and that old crunch business is biting hard too.

Make sure you have enough cash reserves to carry you for at least a year. I can't stress that enough.

Feel free to PM me if you like, or even phone me for a chat.
I envy your new arrival, my daughter is 3 now and has already started school, my only regrets at the moment are that I didn't have my daughter sooner and also move to Spain sooner.

There is a cheaper postal rate for printed matter, but I still think it would be prohibitively costly to have all your print posted.

Ste.