Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

DeRegistering in Spain

DeRegistering in Spain

Old Jun 16th 2015, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute
Default DeRegistering in Spain

if someone cannot go in person to the Police station to deregister from the Foreign Citiizens register( residency) is there another way to do it, eg sending back the cards by post with the appropriate form? Or appointing someone else to do it ?
Can the deregistration form be downloaded?
Old Jun 17th 2015, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

tabbicat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: DeRegistering in Spain

I wonder if it is necessary to do this? I left a couple of years ago and didn't say anything. Not sure if this could cause problems in the future e.g. when it comes to claiming a pension.
I'd be interested to hear from others. I am sure many people don't bother to deregister when they leave Spain.
Old Jun 17th 2015, 4:29 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it can cause problems later and one should definitely do it.

The form is the same as for registering but you check the box labelled "baja".
Old Jun 17th 2015, 4:35 pm
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Yes it can cause problems later
I left 6 years ago, and like many didn't 'de-register', so if I should choose to return in future, what problems could it cause ?

Thanks.
Old Jun 17th 2015, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=snikpoh;11677679]Yes it can cause problems later and one should definitely do it.

The form is the same as for registering but you check the box labelled "baja".

Is there anyway of doing it if unable to attend in person?
Old Jun 17th 2015, 6:01 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The form specifically allows for it to be presented by someone other than the applicant. That person's details are entered in section 2.
Old Jun 17th 2015, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fred James
The form specifically allows for it to be presented by someone other than the applicant. That person's details are entered in section 2.
That's interesting- thanks
Do you know if the representative has to take original passports etc with them, or just the residency card?
Just that we are going to UK the day after and wouldn't want someone to accidently lose them !
Old Jun 17th 2015, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

tabbicat is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes it can cause problems later and one should definitely do it.
What type of problems? Do you know of anyone who has experienced problems for not giving the baja on leaving?
Old Jun 17th 2015, 9:39 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neptuno
That's interesting- thanks
Do you know if the representative has to take original passports etc with them, or just the residency card?
Just that we are going to UK the day after and wouldn't want someone to accidently lose them !
Since you are signing off, I would imagine that just the old certificate would be required. A copy of your passport might be a good idea as well.

Your representative would also need ID in the form a passport or DNI.
Old Jun 18th 2015, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fred James
Since you are signing off, I would imagine that just the old certificate would be required. A copy of your passport might be a good idea as well.

Your representative would also need ID in the form a passport or DNI.
I asked my representative about this.
She said power of attourney would be needed making it very expensive, so I'll try and go in person, with her
Old Jun 18th 2015, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Since telling people I intend deregistering at the police station when I leave Spain, i have been surprised at the reaction.
I was met with incredulous stares" why on earth are you doing that?" They say
Even the firm handling the selling process said it was unnecessary
Others said it was a waste of money, just go back to the UK
Can anyone reassure me that I am doing the right thing?
Are others of the mind that all you have to do is get on a plane?
Old Jun 18th 2015, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

If you hang on I'm sure some scare stories will be along shortly.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

If you do not sign off, then as far as the NHS is concerned, you are still a Spanish resident and not entitled to register with a surgery in the UK. Some surgeries are aware of this, and some aren't. My surgery was, and without proof of deregistration, would not have accepted me. The issue has become more relevant since the realization that health tourism is costing the NHS a fortune (Ashya King for instance).
Old Jun 19th 2015, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Saxy
If you do not sign off, then as far as the NHS is concerned, you are still a Spanish resident and not entitled to register with a surgery in the UK. Some surgeries are aware of this, and some aren't. My surgery was, and without proof of deregistration, would not have accepted me. The issue has become more relevant since the realization that health tourism is costing the NHS a fortune (Ashya King for instance).
A phone call to DWP in Newcastle to cancel your S1 triggers a couple of forms to fill, copies of which shown at your GP surgery sort it out.Nothing in relation to this needs to be done in Spain.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Just do it in Spain then it's done!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.