Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Dentures and denture repairs

Dentures and denture repairs

Old Mar 1st 2014, 10:19 am
Just Joined

merovingian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dentures and denture repairs

As a master dental tech with a lab in Belgium, i'm ex royal army dental corps by the way, I just wanted to ask what people do to buy new dentures or repair their dentures in Spain if they find Spanish dentists to be exorbitant!
I make a lot of dentures for people here in belgium who like my prices, the quality of my work and the really personal touch that you don't get when going through the dentist when it's all done by correspondence.
All with a view of course to settling in Spain, I speak French and German fluently but no Spanish as yet, but don't suppose it will take long to pick up

Would be grateful for any input
Old Mar 1st 2014, 10:36 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dentures and denture repairs

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

One person no mortgage and a pension of €1270 net a month, is it liveable?
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

very liveable, and more than many live on;you should have plenty over!
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 7:59 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info Neptuno it's reassuring!
I have been looking around at all the different places in Murcia, it seems to be the sweet spot weather wise, but I really don't have a clue where to buy, thought I would come down for a month or two with my towing caravan to have a good look around at all the properties on offer.
However I am open to suggestions as to where to concentrate my search and which places to avoid, It would be an advantage to go somewhere that has a British Legion branch so I could seek advice and plug right into the array of contacts!
Any ideas would be gratefully received
Old Mar 4th 2014, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by merovingian
Thanks for the info Neptuno it's reassuring!
I have been looking around at all the different places in Murcia, it seems to be the sweet spot weather wise, but I really don't have a clue where to buy, thought I would come down for a month or two with my towing caravan to have a good look around at all the properties on offer.
However I am open to suggestions as to where to concentrate my search and which places to avoid, It would be an advantage to go somewhere that has a British Legion branch so I could seek advice and plug right into the array of contacts!
Any ideas would be gratefully received
By chance someone on a FB group I visit asked about denture repair only today; one of the answers was from someone who seemed to have legal knowledge who said words to the effect that dentures can't be made without a dentist prescribing................ so maybe you would encounter a Catch 22.
Second point: DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER BUYING until you've looked around more than one area for at least six months an area and lived somewhere for that long.
Third point: Unless you're extremely linguistically gifted, please avoid the assumption that you'll find (sufficient to live a working life) Spanish 'easy to pick up' .
All those having been said, good luck
Old Mar 4th 2014, 1:03 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

.... It would be an advantage to go somewhere that has a British Legion branch so I could seek advice and plug right into the array of contacts!....
A freind of mine is in the British Legion branch in Torrevieja. You might find this of interest? > http://thisistorrevieja.info/2014/02...on-torrevieja/
Old Mar 4th 2014, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to you both for the advice, I know full well the legal implications, it's the usual dentists monopoly, they love money for nothing!
I see that legion branch is the oldest in Spain, they seem to like their Haggis

I read that a lot of people are concerned about the level of crime, brits ripping off brits etc; has it really become so bad now or is it all a bit of an exaggeration?
Old Mar 5th 2014, 6:36 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I read that a lot of people are concerned about the level of crime, brits ripping off brits etc; has it really become so bad now or is it all a bit of an exaggeration?
That depends very much on where you choose to live ........ much like in Belgium I guess?
Old Mar 5th 2014, 7:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fionamw
By chance someone on a FB group I visit asked about denture repair only today; one of the answers was from someone who seemed to have legal knowledge who said words to the effect that dentures can't be made without a dentist prescribing................ so maybe you would encounter a Catch 22.
Second point: DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER BUYING until you've looked around more than one area for at least six months an area and lived somewhere for that long.
Third point: Unless you're extremely linguistically gifted, please avoid the assumption that you'll find (sufficient to live a working life) Spanish 'easy to pick up' .
All those having been said, good luck
Agreed Fiona, apropos your second point, but I no longer need to work it would seem, except for an occasional denture repair to help northern europeans, Plus, later at age 66 I will start my civil uk pension too which is all paid up; so really colloquial Spanish is all I need. I must have sounded a bit arrogant when I said I will just pick it up, given time and lessons yes!
Thing is, there are so many places it's overwhelming and I'm so afraid of feeling alone,( Divorce 5 years ago) that's why I wanted a legion because at least there I can count on making a friend or two and getting some moral support
Whats the FB group your in please?
Old Mar 6th 2014, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

If you put any of the following into the search box on Facbook you'll come up with groups which in various ways give a feel for the areas: Coin, Las Alpujarras, Antequera, Axarquia, Nerja, Torrox, Almunecar, Torre del Mar....... Not saying you'll find exactly what you're looking for, but every little helps, as they say!
Old Mar 6th 2014, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Going off track a bit, is 200 euros for 4 small fillings expensive?
Old Mar 6th 2014, 2:43 pm
Started off with nothing

It would cost you a lot more in the UK, where I paid £134 for one filling.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes but you could have had an NHS filling at far less.There's no option for that here.
Even though private dentistry in Spain is cheaper than private dentistry in UK, how can they justify these fees? These were small, took less than 30 mins in total.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

Here in Belgium, we say that as a rule of thumb, compared to belgian prices, France is twice the price and Spain three times!
My expertise is the domain of prothesis, Crowns, bridges, and all types of dentures. Here in Belgium I can legally offer a one hour denture repair service, you don't have to go via a dentist, which is only correct as they have no role except to take a share of the money for doing nothing.
Here I charge €50 for a denture repair usually done within the hour, if you go to a dentist you can wait up to three days to get it back.
Dentures are made by the dentist taking impressions, recording how you bite and finally fitting them; the construction is done by the technician using the information given by the dentist which is more often than not vague or inaccurate which inevitably gives less than perfect results. How can you make good fitting and aesthetically pleasing functional dentures to patients without ever setting eyes on them?
Simple logic, next time ask your hairdresser to shut his eyes while cutting