Reload this Page >

Denia yes or no

Denia yes or no

Old Apr 29th 2014, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

cavanblondediva is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Denia yes or no

Hello there

I am moving over to Spain but have no firm plans where to go as yet.

I finished my Masters in Tourism 2 years ago and am hoping I will be able to use this qualification to find work somewhere.

I speak Spanish (not fluently) but would consider working in most places - not just hotels/Guest Houses/B&B etc.

I am looking for a place that has a mix of Spanish and ex-pats. I am also looking for somewhere that does not close for Winter, and has a good social circle.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Laura
Old Apr 30th 2014, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Denia - yes or no

Originally Posted by cavanblondediva
Hello there

I am moving over to Spain but have no firm plans where to go as yet.

I finished my Masters in Tourism 2 years ago and am hoping I will be able to use this qualification to find work somewhere.

I speak Spanish (not fluently) but would consider working in most places - not just hotels/Guest Houses/B&B etc.

I am looking for a place that has a mix of Spanish and ex-pats. I am also looking for somewhere that does not close for Winter, and has a good social circle.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Laura
Can't help, not sure anyone can really, just reading today of Spanish people desperate for work, one summed it up, "You have to be a God to find work in Spain,"
I'm sure you already know how desperate the situation there is, but well qualified Spanish are going the other way, desperate to find some work. I don't think your qualifications and inability to speak fluent Spanish will help you a lot tbh. There will be no financial assistance, so unless you have a pile of cash to spend, I wouldn't even be thinking about it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22309326
Old Apr 30th 2014, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Denia yes or no

I see the title was about Denia. If you're asking does it have locals and expats, is open in winter and has a good social circle, yes, it fits with your needs.

Last edited by Horlics; Apr 30th 2014 at 8:53 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Denia - yes or no

Originally Posted by agoreira
Can't help, not sure anyone can really, just reading today of Spanish people desperate for work, one summed it up, "You have to be a God to find work in Spain,"
I'm sure you already know how desperate the situation there is, but well qualified Spanish are going the other way, desperate to find some work. I don't think your qualifications and inability to speak fluent Spanish will help you a lot tbh. There will be no financial assistance, so unless you have a pile of cash to spend, I wouldn't even be thinking about it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22309326
Hi there
I've just read your link, and I know it's really bad over there, and that just proves it. I have looked at it from both sides but I know me, and I know that I won't be satisfied until I have exhausted all avenues. I won't take risks, but I won't let it go either. I've been in touch with tour operators (worked for them betwee 1995-2005 as tour rep), so i'm hopeful I will be successful there. At least I would have guaranteed wages every month.

The problem with seasonal work, is just that...it's seasonal. If I'm lucky to secure a job, then I'll start networking from the start, and hopefully it'll all work out.

Thanks for your reply. Can I ask, are you living in Spain at the moment?
Thanks, Laura
Old Apr 30th 2014, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Horlics
I see the title was about Denia. If you're asking does it have locals and expats, is open in winter and has a good social circle, yes, it fits with your needs.
Hello there

Thank you for your reply, and for answering some of my questions. Are you from Denia yourself? Are you able to advise me re jobs, given my experience above? I have an up-to-date CV I could pass onto you and you could pass onto potential employers. Just a suggestion.

Thank you
Laura
Old Apr 30th 2014, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the UK at the moment but will be living 50/50 between here and Javea from the end of May. I know the area quite well having spent time there over the years. Javea is very close to Denia.

I'm afraid I don't know many people in work as I haven't been looking for any myself. I have a work-from-anywhere job so circumstances somewhat different than yours.

Once there, if I do come across any opportunities I'll PM you.

You'll have a lot of people telling you how tough it will be. As your opening post was quite clear... "I am moving over to Spain"... I assumed you'd made yourself aware of the circumstances. If you have nothing to lose then give it a shot and ignore the naysayers.

Good luck.
Old May 3rd 2014, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

We might have an opportunity in La Zara (is that correct) near to the Denia Hospital for a long term rental proposition. Have passed through it en route to the hospital but that is it. What please is it like? and that before engaging with Easyjet for a flight.

best wishes