Dehumifier

Old Apr 2nd 2010, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

bil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant future
Default Dehumifier

Hi
Just had our longest period away from villa 5 months, noticed fusty smell due to damp weather, thinking about installing dehumidifier.
Do we have one large unit central, or small unit in each bedroom which all have ensuite as when showering this area will create the most condensation. Have looked at the Mitsubishi MJ-E16VX as the main unit, will it be large enough to control the humidity of a 4 bed villa. Any advice on how to help with this problem thanks in advance.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 7:15 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dehumifier

Initially I might just try putting some background heat in there. You can get very cheap heaters for just that purpose.

These heaters will not only keep some of the damp down but will also help move the air around.

This might be a cheaper option than going air con (most good ones have this feature) or dehumidifying.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil8999
Hi
Just had our longest period away from villa 5 months, noticed fusty smell due to damp weather, thinking about installing dehumidifier.
Do we have one large unit central, or small unit in each bedroom which all have ensuite as when showering this area will create the most condensation. Have looked at the Mitsubishi MJ-E16VX as the main unit, will it be large enough to control the humidity of a 4 bed villa. Any advice on how to help with this problem thanks in advance.
Had a similair problem with our main ensuite bedroom. Even had damp stains at junction of outside wall and ceiling. Cleaned that off quite easily with a solution of bleach and water then bought two small free standing de-humidifiers from Leroy Merlin DIY. I think they are classed as wardrobe size really but thought I'd give them a try as being cheap! There is a sachet of crystals in the container (you can buy refills). These seem to have cured the problem ok as far as damp stains are concerned.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 8:44 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael74
Had a similair problem with our main ensuite bedroom. Even had damp stains at junction of outside wall and ceiling. Cleaned that off quite easily with a solution of bleach and water then bought two small free standing de-humidifiers from Leroy Merlin DIY. I think they are classed as wardrobe size really but thought I'd give them a try as being cheap! There is a sachet of crystals in the container (you can buy refills). These seem to have cured the problem ok as far as damp stains are concerned.
Thoser crystals can be a pain with recharging them and so on. Personally I think a small mobile electric dehumidifier is a good option.

It can also be used in the winter to dry clothes.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
T Personally I think a small mobile electric dehumidifier is a good option.
And me. If you have a problem, the refillable crystal thingies aren´t going to make much impression. I know you don´t like to spend money on a/c, heating etc, but a proper "dehumidifier" can remove a serious amount of water.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 2:16 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
And me. If you have a problem, the refillable crystal thingies aren´t going to make much impression. I know you don´t like to spend money on a/c, heating etc, but a proper "dehumidifier" can remove a serious amount of water.
Oh no, I am always willing to invest in stuff which is useful, and a dehumidifier is that in spades. In the UK my daughter finds it very hard to dry clothing, and just hangs the clothes in a small room with the dehumidifier running full tilt.

We also needed to dry out a couple of rooms the first year, so it was Hobson's choice.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

bil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant future

Thanks for advice, now where can I purchase the mitsubishi dehumidifier MJ-E16VX in spain Moraira areaif possible thanks
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute

Quite agree with all comments that electric ones are better tho its just a case of taking out the crystal sachets and replacing with a fresh one.

I suppose at the end of the day it depends on the extent of the problem as to what method you choose.