Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Define the word Spammer

Define the word Spammer

Old Apr 23rd 2012, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Abyss-Rover is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Define the word Spammer

From an online dictionary, the term "Spammer" is explained as follows.... a person who sends unwanted or inappropriate electronic mail to multiple recipients, often advertisements...

I have seen the word mentioned many times on different forum threads (deleted, spammer) and in conversations but their reasons don't appear to be correct, as per this explanation.

What is your interpenetration of this word and your reason for it.

Thanks
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 3:33 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Define the word Spammer

Originally Posted by Abyss-Rover
From an online dictionary, the term "Spammer" is explained as follows.... a person who sends unwanted or inappropriate electronic mail to multiple recipients, often advertisements...

I have seen the word mentioned many times on different forum threads (deleted, spammer) and in conversations but their reasons don't appear to be correct, as per this explanation.

What is your interpenetration of this word and your reason for it.

Thanks
do you actually see them before they are deleted?

to me a spammer is exactly what the dictionary definition says.... & don't forget, the mods & admin have access to IP addresses etc., and can check anything they are suspicious of with spammer blacklists & so on..... before they post multiple times
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 3:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa

to me a spammer is exactly what the dictionary definition says.... & don't forget, the mods & admin have access to IP addresses etc., and can check anything they are suspicious of with spammer blacklists & so on..... before they post multiple times
Some you can see before they are deleted. Those containing urls/links are automatically filtered out by the BE spam filter...you cannot see these but mods can. Mods then decide whether to approve or delete the post or thread.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, I have seen posts and when I have returned, they are gone, and the term "deleted, spammer" or words to that effect.

My question was, the definition of the word!

I have seen someone mention a business website and the next time I looked (to take the details of the website) it was gone. I might have been one person but surely that cancels the term "Unwanted".

This is an open question, to confirm what I think, not saying it's right or wrong.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 3:41 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Some you can see before they are deleted. Those containing urls/links are automatically filtered out by the BE spam filter...you cannot see these but mods can. Mods then decide whether to approve or delete the post or thread.
yes I realise he might have seen them - I just wondered what he'd seen that he didn't think was spam
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 3:43 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps his own link
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 3:44 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Yes, I have seen posts and when I have returned, they are gone, and the term "deleted, spammer" or words to that effect.

My question was, the definition of the word!

I have seen someone mention a business website and the next time I looked (to take the details of the website) it was gone. I might have been one person but surely that cancels the term "Unwanted".

This is an open question, to confirm what I think, not saying it's right or wrong.
unwanted by the forum owners &/or mods??

presumably against the no advertising rules at the very least
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

yes I realise he might have seen them - I just wondered what he'd seen that he didn't think was spam
From what I remember, it was a someone asking a question and someone replied with a link to a website (not on this forum). I was on my way out at the time and went back to the thread later but it had gone.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 3:45 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Perhaps his own link
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks lynnxa,

That makes sense, I guess that would be classed as advertising. But the definition says "unwanted or inappropriate electronic mail to multiple recipients", would the owners / mods be classed as multiple.

I can't get my head round this term, confuses me.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 3:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes the posts contain hidden links to ads/services. You can't see these when you read a post but if you click on the reply tab you can see them and they subsequently show up in the quote.

They are deleted because of the no advertising rule.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Sometimes the posts contain hidden links to ads/services. You can't see these when you read a post but if you click on the reply tab you can see them and they subsequently show up in the quote.

They are deleted because of the no advertising rule.
Thanks Jerseygirl,

So really it's advertising, not spammer?
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 3:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks lynnxa,

That makes sense, I guess that would be classed as advertising. But the definition says "unwanted or inappropriate electronic mail to multiple recipients", would the owners / mods be classed as multiple.

I can't get my head round this term, confuses me.
Often they will post in multiple BE forums. We try to ban the spammer as soon as we can but sometimes they manage to make several posts...sometimes a dozen or more across a dozen forums before we spot them.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 3:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Spammers may also post several non descript posts. When they have posted 3 times they can starting sending people spam PM's. If we can we ban them before they reach the 3 post mark...to prevent them from PMing people.

I caught one this morning in the US forum. A short post out of the blue...bearing no relation to the subject of the thread. When I checked him out he had an IP from India but claimed he was in the US.

The IPs usually come from India or China...'nuff said.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 23rd 2012 at 3:59 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 3:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks Jerseygirl,

So really it's advertising, not spammer?
Sometimes...but like I said quite often they post in multiple BE forums. Regular members may or may not be able to see all their posts...so quite often members have no idea how many posts they have made.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.