Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Declaring worldwide assets to Hacienda

Declaring worldwide assets to Hacienda

Old Apr 22nd 2013, 8:49 pm
Not-so-Junior member

torvista is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Declaring worldwide assets to Hacienda

I have read this thread completely over a week or so but I don't think I saw these links mentioned which I have found useful/of interest.

About the details of the 720 form
http://taxform720.blogspot.com.es/

Background info from the government:
http://www.lamoncloa.gob.es/IDIOMAS/...ax_evasion.htm
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

losviv is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by torvista
I have read this thread completely over a week or so but I don't think I saw these links mentioned which I have found useful/of interest.

About the details of the 720 form
http://taxform720.blogspot.com.es/

Background info from the government:
http://www.lamoncloa.gob.es/IDIOMAS/...ax_evasion.htm
After looking at this, where do final salary schemes fit in?
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Patrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by losviv
A final salary pension is a defined benefit scheme.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Patrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=uk1357;10669310]I am not sure about the Spanish tax authorities but HMRC certainly have a record of dates of birth (and a vast amount of other data too)

Whilst off-shore deposits usually have interest paid gross this must be declared to HMRC and interest paid (maybe this is not the case in Spain?)

Spanish compliant 'offshore' bonds have no income tax payable to the Hacienda on gains whilst the gains remain within the tax 'wrapper' offshore.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Patrick2976
A final salary pension is a defined benefit scheme.
So you think that they should be declared?
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

So you think that they should be declared?
I'm not a tax expert but I understand that it depends to a degree whether or not you are taking any benefits from it (i.e. it's providing you with an income). I've heard differing opinions from spanish accountants and tax lawyers on UK pensions. That's half the problem.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Patrick2976
I'm not a tax expert but I understand that it depends to a degree whether or not you are taking any benefits from it (i.e. it's providing you with an income). I've heard differing opinions from spanish accountants and tax lawyers on UK pensions. That's half the problem.
Well after a few months we still do not know what the Hacienda really wants!

Can people who look at this forum please give us their idea on whether final salary schemes need reporting. If needed, it would also apply to Public sector final salary schemes that are taxed in the UK but would still be classed as an overseas asset!

Many thousands of us need to be talking from the same script!
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 2:20 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk1357

Whilst off-shore deposits usually have interest paid gross this must be declared to HMRC and interest paid (maybe this is not the case in Spain?)

These must definitely be declared to hacienda in the usual way - Spain is no different to UK in this regard.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

CapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud of

The blogspot link is interesting, but this person wrote some of the same stuff (word for word) on another forum over two weeks ago, on which you asked more or less the same question. This is the view of one person, and is very interesting.

Without wishing to repeat myself. I wrote (amongst other things) on that forum, and on this (and others) that Blevins are advising their clients that final salary pensions do not need to be reported. I think I would prefer to take the advice of an organisation with a pretty good reputation, than a blog by an unknown person.

You must either take professional advice or make a decision (only one more week to do that), I can't see the point at this stage of asking the same questions, that have been picked over so much, they're down to the bare bones.

Just to be clear, I have not reported mine.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Debrina is a jewel in the roughDebrina is a jewel in the roughDebrina is a jewel in the roughDebrina is a jewel in the roughDebrina is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by CapnBilly
The blogspot link is interesting, but this person wrote some of the same stuff (word for word) on another forum over two weeks ago, on which you asked more or less the same question. This is the view of one person, and is very interesting.

Without wishing to repeat myself. I wrote (amongst other things) on that forum, and on this (and others) that Blevins are advising their clients that final salary pensions do not need to be reported. I think I would prefer to take the advice of an organisation with a pretty good reputation, than a blog by an unknown person.

You must either take professional advice or make a decision (only one more week to do that), I can't see the point at this stage of asking the same questions, that have been picked over so much, they're down to the bare bones.

Just to be clear, I have not reported mine.
What about ISA's ?? Do these have to be declared?
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Debrina
Yes. There has been no ambiguity on this in the way there has been on other issues
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 3:36 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Debrina
Yes, but remember that there are two types of ISA and they are declared in different categories.

Cash ISAs clearly come under bank accounts and Share ISAs under securities.

So, if you had a total of say 80K split evenly between a Cash ISA and a Share ISA they would not need to be declared.

Back to the final salary pension issue I will not be declaring mine.

My reading of the guidance that it only applies to pensions where they resulted from a cash payment - final salary schemes do not.

Also, if they did qualify then they would also qualify for the very reduced income tax deductions that apply to annuities and also the lower tax rates.

I can hardly see Hacienda agreeing to that - it would cost them millions in lost tax.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 4:15 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Just returned from gestor
Non residents tax paid and 030's completed
No Asset declaration was completed in this process
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

Spanish lulu is an unknown quantity at this point

Been to make declaration today. On a nationwide one year bond i'm being asked to provide an ISIN for the bond. The nationwide have no idea what this is. Has anyone any ideas please.

Following on from this, tax guy also asked for the tax identifying number of the nationwide. The local branch in uk when visited again had no idea at all but happily the nationwide employee that i spoke to over the phone made enquiries and provided same to me. If anyone needs it and is having problems i can post on this site on request.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

uk1357 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Spanish lulu
Been to make declaration today. On a nationwide one year bond i'm being asked to provide an ISIN for the bond. The nationwide have no idea what this is. Has anyone any ideas please.

Following on from this, tax guy also asked for the tax identifying number of the nationwide. The local branch in uk when visited again had no idea at all but happily the nationwide employee that i spoke to over the phone made enquiries and provided same to me. If anyone needs it and is having problems i can post on this site on request.
ISIN is an identification number given to securities, such as shares and commercial paper or bonds issued by companies. Assuming your Nationwide "bond" is actually a cash fixed deposit, it wont have an ISIN (the only way it would is if it is a marketable security issued by the Nationwide that can be traded on the bond markets). The confusion is in the name "bond"...my guess is that you actually have a one year "cash" fixed deposit.

Last edited by uk1357; Apr 23rd 2013 at 5:52 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.