Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Declaring worldwide assets to Hacienda

Declaring worldwide assets to Hacienda

Old Mar 14th 2013, 10:10 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Declaring worldwide assets to Hacienda

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Wow! are you saying that things have changed that much?

It used to be the case that after 182 days, you were automatically considered tax resident - no exceptions!

You are now stating that this is no longer the case and that it is now more subjective - what a farce. Doesn't this simply open the door to people arguing that they need not declare in Spain as they don't meet these 'new' rules?
No, nothing has changed.

It is all covered in the UK/Spain tax treaty and is particularly relevant to people who were previously UK tax resident.

Because the UK residency rule is 90 days or even less it is easy to be deemed tax resident in both countries. Clearly this cannot actually work in practice so the treaty rules come into play and even if you spend more than 183 days in Spain but also qualify in the UK under the 90 day rule then, based of your personal and economic ties with the UK then HMRC may deem you to still be UK tax resident.

The same applies the other way round and Spain may claim that you are tax resident if your centre of personal/economic interest is in Spain. A classic example of this is where your wife is tax resident in Spain then you will be deemed tax resident in Spain even if you don't meet the 183 day rule.

The residency rules are a lot more complicated than they seem. The UK residency rules have just got even more complicated as they have brought in a new Statutory Residency Test where you could end up tax resident after a lot less than 90 days.

http://www.globaltaxnetwork.co.uk/co...ence-test.html
Old Mar 14th 2013, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

mikeglover is an unknown quantity at this point

So, although i dont consider myself 'tax resident', should i still declare all my uk assets just in case someone at Hacianda decides in 5 years, that i might have been just because i cant prove categorically that i was here for less than 183 days in 2012 ?
Old Mar 14th 2013, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

londonbee has a spectacular aura aboutlondonbee has a spectacular aura aboutlondonbee has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by lynnxa
'residency' & 'tax residency' aren't the same thing though, are they

as far as the payment of tax is concerned , because of the agreement between the UK & Spain, one is offset against the other, so you don't pay twice, as I'm sure you know
We're talking about tax residency, read the thread
Old Mar 14th 2013, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Patrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the rough

Wow! are you saying that things have changed that much?

It used to be the case that after 182 days, you were automatically considered tax resident - no exceptions!

You are now stating that this is no longer the case and that it is now more subjective - what a farce. Doesn't this simply open the door to people arguing that they need not declare in Spain as they don't meet these 'new' rules?
It depends whether you are talking about residency, tax residency or domicile.
Generally the 183 day rule applies for tax residency. However if you had say 'economic interests' in the UK, spent less than 183 days a year in Spain but your'vital interests' were here (such as your spouse and/or children), you could be deemed tax resident in Spain. Of course the double tax treaty is in place for these types of situations.

Last edited by Patrick2976; Mar 14th 2013 at 10:34 am.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
No, nothing has changed.

It is all covered in the UK/Spain tax treaty and is particularly relevant to people who were previously UK tax resident.

Because the UK residency rule is 90 days or even less it is easy to be deemed tax resident in both countries. Clearly this cannot actually work in practice so the treaty rules come into play and even if you spend more than 183 days in Spain but also qualify in the UK under the 90 day rule then, based of your personal and economic ties with the UK then HMRC may deem you to still be UK tax resident.

The same applies the other way round and Spain may claim that you are tax resident if your centre of personal/economic interest is in Spain. A classic example of this is where your wife is tax resident in Spain then you will be deemed tax resident in Spain even if you don't meet the 183 day rule.

The residency rules are a lot more complicated than they seem. The UK residency rules have just got even more complicated as they have brought in a new Statutory Residency Test where you could end up tax resident after a lot less than 90 days.

http://www.globaltaxnetwork.co.uk/co...ence-test.html
Fred is absolutely correct in that Residency/Domicile is a minefield and with the greatest of respect has 'taxed' the brains of leading Barristers and there are a host of stated cases on the subject.

Indeed and yes some time ago but a French guy loved horseracing and came often to Ascot and Epsom. Got involved in a horrendous divorce went to Ascot for Ascot week had a writ served on him. Held centre of economic interest UK houses going to racing etc.

I would wish to take a simplistic approach to the subject but cannot do so for fiscally resident in France but centre of economic interest could be held to be the UK where we have houses investments and the like and the family live there.

Overall it is a mess and Govt's across the world just want your cash. Whether they wish to net us small guys or the bigger ones is debatable but is it worth taking the chance?
Old Mar 14th 2013, 10:27 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikeglover
So, although i dont consider myself 'tax resident', should i still declare all my uk assets just in case someone at Hacianda decides in 5 years, that i might have been just because i cant prove categorically that i was here for less than 183 days in 2012 ?
it isn't really whether or not YOU consider yourself tax resident - it's whether or not you actually ARE that matters

there's lots of info here http://www.advoco.es/
Old Mar 14th 2013, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick2976
Generally the 183 year rule applies for tax residency. However if you had say 'economic interests' in the UK, spent less than 183 days a year in Spain but your'vital interests' were here (such as your spouse and/or children), you could be deemed tax resident in Spain. Of course the double tax treaty is in place for these types of situations.
I am sure Patrick meant the 183 day rule not 183 year rule?
Old Mar 14th 2013, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

londonbee has a spectacular aura aboutlondonbee has a spectacular aura aboutlondonbee has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Porth
Overall it is a mess and Govt's across the world just want your cash. Whether they wish to net us small guys or the bigger ones is debatable but is it worth taking the chance?
Well said. I know a bit beyond the scope of this thread, but if you were to look at the current trends with tax strategies of the UK & US I would suspect that in time other (bankrupt) European countries trying to push the envelope on tax residency (e.g. 90 days)

On top of this you have the current zeitgeist of equating tax avoidance with tax evasion.

In relation to this thread, it certainly has future implications for what hacienda could do with all this collected information.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Would be nice... no, your honour, I have not spent the last 183 years in this country
Old Mar 14th 2013, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Patrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the rough

Just testing.....
Old Mar 14th 2013, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by londonbee
Well said. I know a bit beyond the scope of this thread, but if you were to look at the current trends with tax strategies of the UK & US I would suspect that in time other (bankrupt) European countries trying to push the envelope on tax residency (e.g. 90 days)

On top of this you have the current zeitgeist of equating tax avoidance with tax evasion.

In relation to this thread, it certainly has future implications for what hacienda could do with all this collected information.
What a great word zeitgeist is.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 10:51 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by londonbee
We're talking about tax residency, read the thread
yes I know..... but afaik the 90 days isn't connected to tax residency
Old Mar 14th 2013, 10:51 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick2976
Generally the 183 day rule applies for tax residency. However if you had say 'economic interests' in the UK, spent less than 183 days a year in Spain but your'vital interests' were here (such as your spouse and/or children), you could be deemed tax resident in Spain. Of course the double tax treaty is in place for these types of situations.
I'm only going by what you said so I assume you meant 'tax residency'.

It really is starting to sound like the differences between UK domicility and tax residency are being eroded.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

I'm only going by what you said so I assume you meant 'tax residency'.

It really is starting to sound like the differences between UK domicility and tax residency are being eroded.
I think changing domicile will always be alot more difficult than residency.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lynnxa
yes I know..... but afaik the 90 days isn't connected to tax residency
you're confusing it with the Spain 90 days residencia,
we're talking about the new UK residency tests

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.