Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Decided to pull out of the purchase..

Decided to pull out of the purchase..

Old Mar 25th 2007, 6:24 pm
Smarties

SmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really nice
Default Decided to pull out of the purchase..

After much deliberation we have decided to pull the plug on the Villa at Hondon De Las Nieves before we pay the 20% deposit on 1st April. Our second visit (without the agent in tow) gave us a good chance to view the property and speak to plenty of potential neighbors. Second time around it was just not as nice in addition to other reasons below.

We have decided that the morgage offer was not good enough for us with the first two years interest only and then it would revert to capital mortgage at Euribor + 1% and we really wanted a longer interest only deal. In addition when we were ready to move in we would have had to re-submit updated documents such as the bank statements and pay slips and having give up work recently the pay slips could prove a problem. Should they decide before finalisation we no longer qualified for a mortgage we would be knackered.

We will put this house up for sale tomorrow (agent coming) and when it sells we will look to buy a resale for cash. It just feels right to do it this way. Yes we are walking away from £2k deposit but better that than regret the decision at a later date. Also we realised that everything you needed there would have involved a car trip as there are no local amenities. People were having problems with Electricity and water supplies and were reporting the builders and agents were slack in aftersales once the money had exchanged hands. The villa we noticed had more than a few hairline cracks in the walls and this was a worry. We toured the urbanisation and looked at villas in various stages of development and those without the skins on looked like they had been thrown up and this made us question what was under the skin of our villa. Small things just added up to cause us to question enough our decision to place that 20% deposit and make this decision. So hey ho onwards and upwards as they say. Will keep an open mind and hope this sells fast

Oh and I also asked the agent if we were required to pay any of the property value in cash (black money) and he was taken back by the question before telling me we had to pay 10% of the value in cash, effectively black money. I hated the fact that they never disclosed this to me nor the fact there was no LFO on the villa. We had to glean those facts ourselves and thus I have lost all confidence in them.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 6:35 pm
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Decided to pull out of the purchase..

Originally Posted by SmartiesUK
After much deliberation we have decided to pull the plug on the Villa at Hondon De Las Nieves before we pay the 20% deposit on 1st April. Our second visit (without the agent in tow) gave us a good chance to view the property and speak to plenty of potential neighbors. Second time around it was just not as nice in addition to other reasons below.

We have decided that the morgage offer was not good enough for us with the first two years interest only and then it would revert to capital mortgage at Euribor + 1% and we really wanted a longer interest only deal. In addition when we were ready to move in we would have had to re-submit updated documents such as the bank statements and pay slips and having give up work recently the pay slips could prove a problem. Should they decide before finalisation we no longer qualified for a mortgage we would be knackered.

We will put this house up for sale tomorrow (agent coming) and when it sells we will look to buy a resale for cash. It just feels right to do it this way. Yes we are walking away from £2k deposit but better that than regret the decision at a later date. Also we realised that everything you needed there would have involved a car trip as there are no local amenities. People were having problems with Electricity and water supplies and were reporting the builders and agents were slack in aftersales once the money had exchanged hands. The villa we noticed had more than a few hairline cracks in the walls and this was a worry. We toured the urbanisation and looked at villas in various stages of development and those without the skins on looked like they had been thrown up and this made us question what was under the skin of our villa. Small things just added up to cause us to question enough our decision to place that 20% deposit and make this decision. So hey ho onwards and upwards as they say. Will keep an open mind and hope this sells fast

Oh and I also asked the agent if we were required to pay any of the property value in cash (black money) and he was taken back by the question before telling me we had to pay 10% of the value in cash, effectively black money. I hated the fact that they never disclosed this to me nor the fact there was no LFO on the villa. We had to glean those facts ourselves and thus I have lost all confidence in them.
I understand what you are saying, we did the trip thing like you but we didnt part with any cash.
We waited until we had sold our house and then we came to spain with 2 suitcases and the money in the bank.
We then had the chance to look and look again, we brought with in 2 weeks we had seen lots of houses.
We lived in the area for a about 6 weeks before we actually jumped with two feet.
We love our life style and our enviroment we dont need a car for every day living as everything is on our door step.
You need to look and keep looking dont leave your brains at the airport.
Good luck
In my opion you are doing the right thing
Old Mar 25th 2007, 6:38 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

It just feels right to do it this way. Yes we are walking away from £2k deposit but better that than regret the decision at a later date.
Sorry to hear that this one didn't work out but under the circumstances you describe I think you have made a brave and sensible decision, I'm sure it wasn't made lightly.
I'm sure you'll find the resale property of your dreams when the time is right. Have fun househunting and good luck with selling yours.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 6:45 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Sory to hear this Smarties - but if it doesn't feel right then you are doing the right thing by pulling out. Better to lose £2000 than a hell of a lot more further down the line. We pulled out of a purchase about 4 years ago in Costa Dorado and lost £4000 so we know where you are at.

Pour yourself a drink and settle in front of the telly - Peter Kay night on channel 4 from 9pm. He will make you laugh and take your mind off things.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 6:46 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Decided to pull out of the purchase..

Smarties you have done the right thing
The 2k you have lost isnt as bad as being sucked in to a hassle of calling builders back ,buying candles, saving rain water etc, etc. Just make sure the next villa you buy you get for 2k less and your even

Take your time in your chosen area it is a buyers market !! Trust me it is

Never have liked this Off Plan business anyways as you may of seen from my post on the subject ?
So i 100% know you made the right decision
Old Mar 25th 2007, 6:53 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Pete
Smarties you have done the right thing
The 2k you have lost isnt as bad as being sucked in to a hassle of calling builders back ,buying candles, saving rain water etc, etc. Just make sure the next villa you buy you get for 2k less and your even

Take your time in your chosen area it is a buyers market !! Trust me it is

Never have liked this Off Plan business anyways as you may of seen from my post on the subject ?
So i 100% know you made the right decision
Petes right - and with your negotiating prowess I'm sure you will find the property which is just right for you. Get yourself a really good resale bargain and make us all envious.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 6:55 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Do you not? Thats a real suprise
Old Mar 25th 2007, 6:58 pm
Popping in for a chat

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Old Mar 25th 2007, 7:44 pm
Livin' in Spain at last!

chrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Decided to pull out of the purchase..

Sorry to hear you've pulled out of the villa, it must be very disappointing, but sound like you have made the right decision for the right reasons. Good luck with the house sale, and that you will get a quick sale! Best of luck!

Chris
Old Mar 25th 2007, 7:48 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Hi Smartiesuk, only you and OH know in your hearts what right for you, I am sure you have made the right choice and even the fact of losing the 2k now is so much better then a greater sum later down the line. Also if your faith in whoever was selling to you has faltered then it is certainly the best thing to do. Hope you sell your place soon and can get the ball rolling, Easter is upon us and the property market in the UK hopefully will pick up, people always like to house hunt in the spring.

Good luck
Crispy

Last edited by crispy; Mar 25th 2007 at 7:51 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 25th 2007, 7:50 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
yep comes as a bit of a shock i know ...

While i am on the subject and this has some relevance to Smarties recent happenings .

I will tell you a little story .
A few years back Turkey came up as a possible place to retire to , yes i know it was a mad moment honest

Anyways was on holiday there and thought will see a few agents while over there , popped in saw this agent i explainned what i wanted and he showed some new developments just completed and offered to drive us all around on a show tour of the properties he had that fit the citeria .
The day arrived and off we trundled with not the original guy but accompanied by 2 !! Management Sales types instead. they took us to a apartment block ? which wasnt on the criteria anyways , apts are for holidays and single people etc.. So after a while they got the message no apts !! Next stop was a small group of nice villas in a cul de sac , own pool i said now we are getting near the mark ! How much i ask £190,000 he calmly says ? Your having a laugh i tell him its not worth that hasnt even got a sea view ! On we go look at another couple of detached places , nice inside but outside the neighbours run a Goat farm with goat crap all over the place next to the pool area , so not impressed ! next batch lovely Villa ,lovely Pool not finished though but could be in 2 months i looked around at the quality of the walls and stuff single thin blocks and then rely on plastering ! So very cheap to build . On to a few more settlements as i call them and a couple are ok but none really inspired me ..
We arrive back to the office and they offer a drink as by then we are all pretty dry and need it .. In comes the top man in charge and pulls out like a folder with loads of paperwork in it ! Calmly sits down and says so which one you going for ? I said well i quite liked 1 of them , Right he says pulling out papers at the same time , give us 10% deposit now and we will start the ball rolling !! I said let me think about it as i have only seen 4 places and i most certainly will not decide on a spur of the moment .. Then came the hard sell 1 hour of being told how the propertys in Turkey will return 20% per year from now on how lucky i would be if i let them sell it to me etc.. At this stage i was now getting the hump putting it mildly as you can imagine As the hotel was some 2 miles away and there supposed to drop us back as they said ! I then said right well we must go and they got quite nasty in manner and turned from these charming Turks to angry nasty people
In the end i said i am going so forget the lift i will get a taxi ! Which i did ..

That evening in the usual town i was staying i was telling the owner of the restaurant there about them he said oh them ? oh yes they do that all the time they sell lots of deposits and then mess you around so as you dont continue !! keep the deposits and make a fortune !

Saw the Turkish people in a new light that day for sure .

Last edited by Big Pete; Mar 25th 2007 at 7:53 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:11 pm
Banned

Douglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really nice

yep comes as a bit of a shock i know ...

While i am on the subject and this has some relevance to Smarties recent happenings .

I will tell you a little story .
A few years back Turkey came up as a possible place to retire to , yes i know it was a mad moment honest

Anyways was on holiday there and thought will see a few agents while over there , popped in saw this agent i explainned what i wanted and he showed some new developments just completed and offered to drive us all around on a show tour of the properties he had that fit the citeria .
The day arrived and off we trundled with not the original guy but accompanied by 2 !! Management Sales types instead. they took us to a apartment block ? which wasnt on the criteria anyways , apts are for holidays and single people etc.. So after a while they got the message no apts !! Next stop was a small group of nice villas in a cul de sac , own pool i said now we are getting near the mark ! How much i ask £190,000 he calmly says ? Your having a laugh i tell him its not worth that hasnt even got a sea view ! On we go look at another couple of detached places , nice inside but outside the neighbours run a Goat farm with goat crap all over the place next to the pool area , so not impressed ! next batch lovely Villa ,lovely Pool not finished though but could be in 2 months i looked around at the quality of the walls and stuff single thin blocks and then rely on plastering ! So very cheap to build . On to a few more settlements as i call them and a couple are ok but none really inspired me ..
We arrive back to the office and they offer a drink as by then we are all pretty dry and need it .. In comes the top man in charge and pulls out like a folder with loads of paperwork in it ! Calmly sits down and says so which one you going for ? I said well i quite liked 1 of them , Right he says pulling out papers at the same time , give us 10% deposit now and we will start the ball rolling !! I said let me think about it as i have only seen 4 places and i most certainly will not decide on a spur of the moment .. Then came the hard sell 1 hour of being told how the propertys in Turkey will return 20% per year from now on how lucky i would be if i let them sell it to me etc.. At this stage i was now getting the hump putting it mildly as you can imagine As the hotel was some 2 miles away and there supposed to drop us back as they said ! I then said right well we must go and they got quite nasty in manner and turned from these charming Turks to angry nasty people
In the end i said i am going so forget the lift i will get a taxi ! Which i did ..

That evening in the usual town i was staying i was telling the owner of the restaurant there about them he said oh them ? oh yes they do that all the time they sell lots of deposits and then mess you around so as you dont continue !! keep the deposits and make a fortune !

Saw the Turkish people in a new light that day for sure .
Hi, Smarties I am sorry to,but your experience will hold you fast for the future,if you really want to make the move do your homework,I know people on here think they allways do enough homework,but they dont ,just read there posts,it takes months to hopefully get it right in your head and then again it can all go pear shape,hope you get it right before its to late.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:26 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Hey Smarties..... we lost a thousand while looking, aside from all the money spent. Looking at all the pics tonight of the year spent property hunting. We were glad we eventually bought when and where we did. If your gut instinct was to pull out you were doing the right thing. Keep looking.. it is definitely a buyers market and you will find something better.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:29 pm
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi SmartiesUK, I also agree,you have done the right thing,I am sure you will feel a lot happier in the end if you can sell your house,you will be able then move with the money in the bank( earning interest )whilst you look for your dream resale,In the meantime it will give you more breathing space and time to look into the various options.I am learning a lot from this site and am gathering a lot of information,so hopefully it will make the move a little more simple when its our turn.We to will wait until we sell our house,and then we will move down and rent at first, It will then give us the time to look at the different areas ,I dont think its a bed of roses ,any move has its pitfalls,but when you are moving to a different country I think you need to be as sure as you can be that the place you lay your hat so to speak,you can call HOME.
Well Im sure we will be in touch a lot more,good luck with the sale of your house,I hope it will sell fast for you.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:30 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

You have done the right thing.

Good luck with the resale purchase!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.