Debt

Old Jan 20th 2012, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Debt

I´ve just realised that for the last four years I´ve been paying the local tax on my ex-wifes car .If I cancel the standing order will the debt go on my address?
Old Jan 20th 2012, 7:04 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Debt

Originally Posted by Daveinspain
I´ve just realised that for the last four years I´ve been paying the local tax on my ex-wifes car .If I cancel the standing order will the debt go on my address?
The debt is on the owner of the car.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
The debt is on the owner of the car.
Sad to say she still ownes half of the house
Old Jan 21st 2012, 12:07 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Im not sure about that JDR. I had to cancel the car I took back to the UK, and I only went to the trouble because I heard from various areas that if I didnt do it they would assign the debt of future road tax bills to the house. I didnt bother following it up tbh to see if it was true or not
Old Jan 21st 2012, 2:01 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

How can the add a bill to a rented house or flat ?
No it stays with the car, if you go in and pay your new car tax you will also get a bill for the old one unless it has been correctly transferred, this stays for four years in total. IE the latest four years tax as they will be the highest bills plus all the late payment fines.
I had to help someone that had not transferred a car 5 years previous,she had to pay 2 years due and they let her off the rest.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 5:08 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
How can the add a bill to a rented house or flat ?
I dont know JDR, other than they know where the car is registered to as they send the bills there

Dont shoot the messanger, I'm just telling you what I was told
Old Jan 21st 2012, 7:39 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I dont know JDR, other than they know where the car is registered to as they send the bills there

Dont shoot the messanger, I'm just telling you what I was told
Not shooting the messenger , but that is why they stress to change the owner when you sell it, as all debts, taxes and parking ,fines are stuck to the owner of the vehicle, motoring offences are charged to the driver at the time.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 2:26 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Sad to say she still ownes half of the house
That is not relevant. Do you also have a joint bank account?

Are you the registered owner of the vehicle? If not, cancel the direct debit authorisation with your bank. Tell her you have cancelled the DD and she should go to traffico to advise them of her new address. If she does nothing, the debt will just rack up. She will be in trouble if and when she is stopped for any motoring offence.

I would also suggest you change bank.

Last edited by missile; Jan 22nd 2012 at 2:29 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 2:47 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

If the car is registered to her, then she SHOULD have altered the registered address.

Anyway, simply cancel the direct debit, tell her what you've done, and ask her to sort it.

If it is still registered to your address or is in your name, then you have a whole heap of problems coming
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snikpoh
If the car is registered to her, then she SHOULD have altered the registered address.

Anyway, simply cancel the direct debit, tell her what you've done, and ask her to sort it.

If it is still registered to your address or is in your name, then you have a whole heap of problems coming
She is in the UK (luckily for me) I don´t know her address,the car was never in my name and the bank account is not joint(the really lucky part) but the car is registered to her.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 11:12 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

She is in the UK (luckily for me) I don´t know her address,the car was never in my name and the bank account is not joint(the really lucky part) but the car is registered to her.
So, if it's still registered at your address, then the authorities will write to her at your address and may even follow it up with a personal visit.

Do NOT open any mail sent to her, simply take it to your local correos and tell them she's moved - or send it back 'from whence it came'.

IMO should all be OK, so cancel the direct debit.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 12:57 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

So where is the car. Hopefully she has not been driving it in the UK for 4 years? Perhaps she has sold it and you have been paying for someone elses SUMA.

I would not be happy having this hanging over me and would visit a gestor and ask him to try to resolve the problem.

What are you intending to do about her half of the property?