Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Debit Card Surcharges - OFT

Debit Card Surcharges - OFT

Old Jun 28th 2011, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Debit Card Surcharges - OFT

Our answer "£5 to knock in the nail, £95 for knowing which nail to knock in"
Yee gods! intelligence.

Look at microsoft's gross margins (if understood) to see the obscene profits - and good luck to 'em. that's what it's all about.

If peops are too thick, too lazy or value their time differently, to get the right cards for free booking then so be it. I'm not saying uncle Mick's right and wee Willie's wrong. I'm just saying they operate different business models, and capitalism gives you the gift of choice. That should be celebrated, not legislated.

Grow up!

If people don't like Uncle Mick's service they won't buy it. They do. Truckloads more than buy BA's pile of pooh.

Think about it.

As for you cretins who think BA can compete. I looked at a ticket LHR to madrid the other day £700 BA. One way! That's a lot of G&Ts, credit card charges etc.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
As for you cretins who think BA can compete. I looked at a ticket LHR to madrid the other day £700 BA. One way! That's a lot of G&Ts, credit card charges etc.
I think you should spend more time shopping for flights than you do shopping for new credit cards. BA are better value for money than Ryanair or any other pile of crap so called 'budget' airline!
Old Jun 28th 2011, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Again I reiterate. I don´t mind paying for fair fares but for a family to have to pay x amount to pay by debit card is wrong. Strangely enough I am not the only one ask the OFT!
Old Jun 28th 2011, 12:29 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Again I reiterate. I don´t mind paying for fair fares but for a family to have to pay x amount to pay by debit card is wrong. Strangely enough I am not the only one ask the OFT!
I am in total agreement, as it only costs less than 20p to carry out a transaction why charge £5 each way per traveller - for a family of 4 thats £40 when there is only the one card transaction. And it isn't just Ryanair who do this. And its the only method of payment they will allow us to use as they don't have offices where we can pay cash.

If I was to supply - say, 100 packets of sugar - to an airline and charge them £35 delivery charge per item and then stick a 50p stamp on a single jiffy bag they would be up in arms.

Everyone knows and understands the airlines have operational costs, but a 20p card charge could be built into every ticket sale without causing all this fuss - which means all airfares will go up by £10 each.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Domino
I am in total agreement, as it only costs less than 20p to carry out a transaction why charge £5 each way per traveller - for a family of 4 thats £40 when there is only the one card transaction. And it isn't just Ryanair who do this. And its the only method of payment they will allow us to use as they don't have offices where we can pay cash.

If I was to supply - say, 100 packets of sugar - to an airline and charge them £35 delivery charge per item and then stick a 50p stamp on a single jiffy bag they would be up in arms.

Everyone knows and understands the airlines have operational costs, but a 20p card charge could be built into every ticket sale without causing all this fuss - which means all airfares will go up by £10 each.
But you don't have to pay it. Get a different card!

A cup of coffee costs me about 20p at home. Starbucks charge me £3. What is your problem? You choose whether to buy or not.

As for BA & Ryannair whose better. Neither, they're different airlines with a different product and you choose if you want to pay mega bucks for surly service from a bunch of trolly dollies who go on strike every peak holiday season and have a relatively poor punctuality record or non striking, punctual Ryanair?

BA want £136 to fly return to malaga sept 14 for a week. The budget boys want about £70. Since I don't fancy lugging the kitchen sink to Spain and have the right card THAT'S THE PRICE I PAY.

Now, if you do want to carry the kitchen sink, and you don't feel like getting another card uncle Mick will add £40 for a bag and a tenner for the debit card. That's £120. I hope you still fly uncle mick because you're enabling me to get a cheap fare, but you might choose BA.

But that's the point. You choose. But there is nothing wrong with buying a product for 20p and selling it for £10. That's how people make money, dear.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

But you don't have to pay it. Get a different card!

A cup of coffee costs me about 20p at home. Starbucks charge me £3. What is your problem? You choose whether to buy or not.

As for BA & Ryannair whose better. Neither, they're different airlines with a different product and you choose if you want to pay mega bucks for surly service from a bunch of trolly dollies who go on strike every peak holiday season and have a relatively poor punctuality record or non striking, punctual Ryanair?

BA want £136 to fly return to malaga sept 14 for a week. The budget boys want about £70. Since I don't fancy lugging the kitchen sink to Spain and have the right card THAT'S THE PRICE I PAY

Now, if you do want to carry the kitchen sink, and you don't feel like getting another card uncle Mick will add £40 for a bag and a tenner for the debit card. That's £120. I hope you still fly uncle mick because you're enabling me to get a cheap fare, but you might choose BA.

But that's the point. You choose. But there is nothing wrong with buying a product for 20p and selling it for £10. That's how people make money, dear.
Well dear, if the difference in cost between flying Ryanair and BA is 16 GBP then given me BA any day of the week. More comfort, no bloody announcements every few minutes and if I am still right food. Plus not having the stress of cardboard boxes being stuck over your hand luggage and best of all not adding to Uncle Mick´s pension.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Well dear, if the difference in cost between flying Ryanair and BA is 16 GBP then given me BA any day of the week. More comfort, no bloody announcements every few minutes and if I am still right food. Plus not having the stress of cardboard boxes being stuck over your hand luggage and best of all not adding to Uncle Mick´s pension.
Probably won't land on time, though

Oh, BTW, last time I flew BA (LHR to AGP) for all their "nice stuff" i got code shared onto an iberia plane with bearded lady stewardesses and no booze (except San Mig) and no food. So much for "full service airlines!"

Admit it. They're all cr*p.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 4:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Unlike Uncle Mick, eh?
The Spanish regional press reported with great glee yesterday that Ryanair had left 200 passengers inside a plane with no air conditioning or water for three hours due to a technical fault on the aircraft.
http://www.simplynetworking.es/news-..._comments.html

Last edited by agoreira; Jun 29th 2011 at 4:29 am.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

But Uncle Mick's punctuality record better than Wee Willie Walsh and BA. Oh yes, and BA lose more bags than any other airline in the world.

The more you pay the more they scr*w you up.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 5:21 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, BTW, last time I flew BA (LHR to AGP) for all their "nice stuff" i got code shared onto an iberia plane with bearded lady stewardesses and no booze (except San Mig) and no food. So much for "full service airlines!"

Admit it. They're all cr*p.
looking at flightstats most of BA's "flights" to this part of the world are code share
Old Jun 29th 2011, 5:24 am

But Uncle Mick's punctuality record better than Wee Willie Walsh and BA. Oh yes, and BA lose more bags than any other airline in the world.

considering the bags are not handled by BA but by a baggage handling company except when actually on the plane, it must take a lot of effort to lose bags - or very disgruntled baggage staff.

So how does Mad Mick get away with it ??
Old Jun 29th 2011, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

With regard to punctuality I was told that they over-estimate the length of the flight so that when it comes in they can say it was early/on time. Smokin´mirrors!
Old Jun 29th 2011, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

With regard to punctuality I was told that they over-estimate the length of the flight so that when it comes in they can say it was early/on time. Smokin´mirrors!
Ooh, silly girl. They all do that, dear.

Who care handles the baggage! The twerps at BA lose more than any other airline.

Coincidence.

Nah. They're cr*p!
Old Jun 29th 2011, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

BA want £136 to fly return to malaga sept 14 for a week. The budget boys want about £70
As somebody who takes a minimum of 4 domestic flights each and every single month I feel more than qualified to comment on this subject.

Firstly you haven't got a clue how much a Ryanair flight is going to cost you until you actually check out. Next, no charge if you don't own your own printer & cant print off a boarding pass. Baggage included in the price. Orderly boarding without having to queue for an hour at the gate to board the flight first. As much food and drink as you can consume during the flight (2 bottles of wine + a sandwich on Ryanair leaves little change out of £20) and let's not forget airmiles.

We haven't even got onto customer service yet, what happens if you board your plane but can't take off? With Ryanair nothing you just sit there waiting while BA take the trolley around. If you miss a connecting flight because of that delay, Ryanair will tell you to write a letter in & sleep on the airport floor, while the BA passengers dine in the Hilton Hotel.

Who in their right mind would actually CHOOSE to fly with these cowboys? they scrimp on everything so god knows what goes on under the bonnet of the aircraft!
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

I've just seen on the Solbank website that they have a 'Volar' prepay card that incurs no charges on Ryanair flights. However there is some small print

"1) Offer valid whilst Ryanair maintains the promotion and only applicable to tickets issued through www.ryanair.com."

So it looks like the Ryanair fans will be complaining about debit card surcharges with the rest of us before too long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.