Old May 15th 2016, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Madkay is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Debating a move?

Good morning
My husband and I are considering retiring to Spain
The idea is to rent out our home in uk for approx £1300 per month
Plus our pensions which are approx £1200 per month
We are looking to rent long term for 6 months in different areas of Spain travelling around by car
Questions
What do we need to register?
How much is it roughly to live per month?
How much would a car cost and insurance ?
I need regular medication so how would I go about getting this?
Any advice gratefully received
K
Old May 15th 2016, 12:02 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Debating a move?

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old May 15th 2016, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madkay
Good morning
My husband and I are considering retiring to Spain
The idea is to rent out our home in uk for approx £1300 per month
Plus our pensions which are approx £1200 per month
We are looking to rent long term for 6 months in different areas of Spain travelling around by car
Questions
What do we need to register?
How much is it roughly to live per month?
How much would a car cost and insurance ?
I need regular medication so how would I go about getting this?
Any advice gratefully received
K
Your questions are very general and we do not have enough information to answer your questions
How much it costs to live depends on your lifestyle
Your car insurance depends on what car you have no claims bonus etc
Which country will be your main residence?
If Spain, and you spend more than 183 days there you will be resident, and have to register to pay your income tax on all your income, wherever it comes from
If you are state pensioners you will get free health care
If not, you will have to get private Spanish insurance for one year before paying into the Spanish NHS at 60 euros each per month until you receive state pensions
Private health insurers may not cover existing medical conditions
Use the search facility on this and other forums to find out about requirements for residency , taxes in Spain etc. taxes are very different here
Contact DWP and HMRC for more specific information
If you are spending more than 183 days in the UK, you will be non resident in Spain with the appropriate taxes
Do lots of research by visiting websites for expats,
Don't rely on books which become out of date with information very quickly

Last edited by Rosemary; May 15th 2016 at 1:48 pm. Reason: Correcting quote
Old May 16th 2016, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi & welcome,

"We are looking to rent long term for 6 months in different areas of Spain travelling around by car"....Are you thinking of 6 months in each area or 6 months in total? If the latter, then you may be better looking at monthly holiday lets. If the former then see Neptuno's post re- residence.

"How much would a car cost and insurance ?".... If you are staying less than 183 days you could use your own car (providing it's street legal in the UK for the duration of your visit)

"I need regular medication so how would I go about getting this?"... Many prescription drugs can be purchased at the Spanish pharmacies. You can bring prescription drugs with you (bring your prescription/doctors note)

"How much is it roughly to live per month?"...Really depends on lifestyle. Your utility bills would depend type of property rented. Will it have a pool? any community fees? air-con/heating usage? Electricity is not cheap!

We took early retirement 4 years ago and did something similar, renting for 3 monthly periods in various areas before choosing our village & buying our apartment. We spend less than 183 days in Spain and have remained non-resident...This suits us
Old May 18th 2016, 11:35 am
Just Joined

GlennLoz is an unknown quantity at this point

That sounds perfect, something we are planning to do. Long term rental in a few places until we find the perfect town/village.
Old May 18th 2016, 2:55 pm
Herreño

Boseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond repute

183 for tax resident, within 90 days you have to register. Details below in the link.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/residenc...ments-in-spain