Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Death in the family.

Death in the family.

Old Jul 26th 2012, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

RyanChapa is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Death in the family.

Hello, 2 months ago I signed a rental contract for 6 months but I am now being forced to return home because there has been a death in my family and I feel I am needed there. I am panicing a little as I have no idea how to approach the situation to end my contract early. I am/was living hand-to-mouth and had a bar job and I am pretty sure I need to give one months notice. However, having to quit my job and needing to pay my rent on the 5th August I have no possible solution. I really need to leave for England within the next few days to make it back for the funeral at least. Does anyone have any advice on this matter?

I am hoping my landlord will be sympathetic to my situation and will simply take my security deposit as the next months rent. I have read that a landlord can ask for the remainder of the tennancy contract which will be another 3/4 months rent.

Sorry if my post seems a little rushed and rambled, I am just trying every possible solution.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 1:30 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Death in the family.

Originally Posted by RyanChapa
Hello, 2 months ago I signed a rental contract for 6 months but I am now being forced to return home because there has been a death in my family and I feel I am needed there. I am panicing a little as I have no idea how to approach the situation to end my contract early. I am/was living hand-to-mouth and had a bar job and I am pretty sure I need to give one months notice. However, having to quit my job and needing to pay my rent on the 5th August I have no possible solution. I really need to leave for England within the next few days to make it back for the funeral at least. Does anyone have any advice on this matter?

I am hoping my landlord will be sympathetic to my situation and will simply take my security deposit as the next months rent. I have read that a landlord can ask for the remainder of the tennancy contract which will be another 3/4 months rent.

Sorry if my post seems a little rushed and rambled, I am just trying every possible solution.
Firstly, my condolences.

The law in Spain is simple - you only need to give 1 months notice so don't panic.

Having said that, be as up-front with the landlord as you can. In the unlikely event that he gets 'nasty', simply point out the law and tell him when you will be leaving.